Earthquake damage on Buildings

Paul
26 minutes ago, Kabisay-an gid said:

I would much prefer one of these:

I prefer a ground floor. Then, you don't need one of those! :P 

Lee
53 minutes ago, Paul said:

I prefer a ground floor. Then, you don't need one of those! :P 

Then the only problem is knowing how many tons are above you that can crush your wittle arse. 

I am always happy somewhere around the middle of a building, not too high to use the stairs if need be

Paul
1 hour ago, Lee said:

Then the only problem is knowing how many tons are above you that can crush your wittle arse.

By ground floor, I actually meant a single floor dwelling. I do not feel comfortable above the second floor, really.

Edited by Paul

Aerosick
3 hours ago, Kabisay-an gid said:

I would much prefer one of these:

These would just leave you dangling on the side of our building:

The longest one: SKS 260 [Cable length: 260 feet (80 meters)] Rescue Backpack - Just $1,480.00

ugly american

I would like the top floor, then if the building collapses you can jump judt before it hits the ground. 

• Like 3

oztony
5 hours ago, Kabisay-an gid said:

Also, you're obviously confusing cosmetic/superficial damage and structural damage - two different things. Any damage that can be "plastered over" is cosmetic or superficial, such as cracks in interior room walls. Collapsed false ceilings and fallen light fixtures are other examples of cosmetic/superficial damage that might look nasty, but doesn't adversely affect the structural integrity of the main frame of the building.

Cracks can actually become a huge problem to the structure, especially if they go unnoticed or undetected, and in a country of islands surrounded by the ocean even more so, it may take many years or just the right earthquake to prove it.

If the salt air is able to make contact with the steel re-inforcing within the concrete it will rust and also spread like a cancer within the area that has been exposed. So what people think are just simple cracks , can have far more reaching ramifications. To say that any damage that can be plastered over is cosmetic or superficial is the same as placing a bandaid over a boil...

Oh , unless we are just limiting this to internal walls....

Aerosick
6 minutes ago, oztony said:

If the salt air is able to make contact with the steel re-inforcing within the concrete it will rust and also spread like a cancer within the area that has been exposed.

I did several projects for USA Gov't. Don't know why, but the Army & Air Force Inspectors insisted on very clean re-bar before pouring the concrete. The Navy insisted on rusty re-bar.

oztony
3 minutes ago, Aerosick said:

I did several projects for USA Gov't. Don't know why, but the Army & Air Force Inspectors insisted on very clean re-bar before pouring the concrete. The Navy insisted on rusty re-bar.

Once it is surrounded by concrete with no availability of air contact surface rust does not progress , we always operate on a minimum of 40 to 50 mm of cover of concrete on steel.

• Like 1

Aerosick
15 minutes ago, oztony said:

Once it is surrounded by concrete with no availability of air contact surface rust does not progress , we always operate on a minimum of 40 to 50 mm of cover of concrete on steel.

I remember a US Naval Inspector saying that rusty re-bar allowed the re-bar to expand & contract w/o breaking the concrete.

Sorry for going Off Topic! Back to the usual...

• Like 1

Headshot
2 hours ago, ugly american said:

I would like the top floor, then if the building collapses you can jump just before it hits the ground. 

You mean like the people in the World Trade Center towers?

• Like 2

Headshot
5 hours ago, Lee said:

that can crush your wittle arse.

You can't talk to Paul like that...  :cool:

• Like 1

Jim_in_Jax
2 hours ago, ugly american said:

I would like the top floor, then if the building collapses you can jump judt before it hits the ground. 

You must have got that idea from watching an old cartoon where a bear in a phone booth gets shoved off a cliff and steps out of it right when it hits the ground and smashes to bits while he just walks away.  You'd have better luck maybe jumping off with a beach umbrella and float down like Mary Poppins.

• Like 3

Jim Sibbick

I used to think that house building in the Philippines was being done wrong. Build the walls in a trench. Then concrete the floor inside of the house after it was built.  I thought they should build western style. Slab first. Then build the house on the slab.

However, after being in houses during earthquakes where the whole house is moving in relation to the floor and seeing how houses are still standing after multiple earthquakes. With no damage or maybe a minor crack in a wall from movement. I have changed my mind! Maybe there is something to building the walls first then floor later.

A building that I have been waiting a while to see lying flat on the ground from an earthquake is the Raddison Blu in Cebu City, adjacent to SM Cebu City mall. It is built on reclaimed land. The area is marked on my 1944 Cebu City map as Lazarino Shoal. The hotel was condemned on completion because it was on a lean. They spent years pumping out water to straighten it. If the building was short and squat, I would have no issue entering it. However, it is tall and slim and at this stage, I have no plans to ever set foot inside.

• Like 3

oztony
20 hours ago, Jim Sibbick said:

However, after being in houses during earthquakes where the whole house is moving in relation to the floor and seeing how houses are still standing after multiple earthquakes. With no damage or maybe a minor crack in a wall from movement. I have changed my mind! Maybe there is something to building the walls first then floor later.

It certainly does seem to allow for more flexibility as opposed to a "raft" slab that is poured ontop of the footings , by giving the walls more independence during the shake , rattle and roll episodes.