Home cooked meal

Soarking

Finally broke down today and decided to make a good home cooked meal from scratch.   Wanted to show my son what a Midwest Home Cooked meal tasted like.  Made old fashioned chicken noodle soup with dumplings.  EVERYTHING made from scratch including the noodles.

My son took one look at it and said it didn't look like the chicken noodle soup out of the can.  "OH REALLY" was my response.

But once he tried it he loved it.    I need to try and remember some more of those old recipes from long ago.   

• Like 7
Paul

I miss my mama's meat loaf.

• Like 7
goggleye

its a fond memory of my Father teaching me how to make egg noodles from scratch    try some chicken pot pie on them  or pigs in a blanket   (rice and ground beef rollled up in cabbage leaves cooked in tomato)

• Like 1
Soarking
21 minutes ago, Paul said:

I was thinking about meat loaf or thick rich beef stew.

but the meat over here sucks.

Guess we took our moms home cooked meals for granted.   Now it's all about eating out.

Edited by Soarking
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, Paul said:

I don't, Mine just made me some last week :)

Women today just cant cook like the old country girls could. My mom has taught my daughters pretty well but they will never cook at her level  

• Like 2
Enuff
6 hours ago, Soarking said:

I was thinking about meat loaf or thick rich beef stew.

but the meat over here sucks.

Guess we took our moms home cooked meals for granted.   Now it's all about eating out.

have you made cucumbers & onions?

my absolute favorite meal is grilled cheese and tomato soup, ingredients everywhere and tastes delicious 

lamoe

You guys were lucky  - my mom would cook only on Sunday then leftovers rest of week  - I learned in self-defense

Still hate greasy food - maybe why I can't abide by the pork here.

I did made a damn good NYC style Cheesecake and 4 grain bread

Edited by lamoe
  • Like 1
goggleye
2 hours ago, Enuff said:

have you made cucumbers & onions?

my absolute favorite meal is grilled cheese and tomato soup, ingredients everywhere and tastes delicious 

sour cream or sweet vinegar cucumbers and onions ?  Both are good   

RogerDat

cucumbers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! a pox on U! belching for a week, same with watermelon if too close to the rind.:lol:

Enuff
13 hours ago, goggleye said:

sour cream or sweet vinegar cucumbers and onions ?  Both are good   

cucs n onions with vinegar, sugar & water.

As a small child every meal in the summer included cucs & onions, fresh sliced tomatoes and corn on the cob, yes even breakfast!

winter meals features homemade canned beets and sweet pickles.

and every Sunday featured either a homemade, from fucking scratch, german chocolate cake or a minced meat pie.

I miss those days of being poor, not knowing it and surrounded by foods fresh from the fields.

• Like 2
  • Administrator
Salty Dog
On 5/21/2017 at 10:34 AM, Paul said:

That just happens to be my favorite food my mom cooked...

She would always make it for me when I came home on leave.

She made a large one so we could have meatloaf sandwiches for several days.

There must be a million ways to make it, because it always taste different when I try it somewhere else.

My wife's meatloaf comes pretty close, but she isn't consistent. Sometimes like mom made, other times, not so much.

• Like 1
goggleye
5 hours ago, Enuff said:

cucs n onions with vinegar, sugar & water.

As a small child every meal in the summer included cucs & onions, fresh sliced tomatoes and corn on the cob, yes even breakfast!

winter meals features homemade canned beets and sweet pickles.

and every Sunday featured either a homemade, from fecking scratch, german chocolate cake or a minced meat pie.

I miss those days of being poor, not knowing it and surrounded by foods fresh from the fields.

Mom never worked outside the house - she cooked food from scratch too every day -  She was one of the best cooks and bakers I ever knew.  yup miss those days too     we made sauerkraut , apple  butter, pear butter, all kinds of preserves , every kind of vegetable  imaginable, wild game ,  wild fish,  home raised chickens, rabbits, turkeys, pigeons   we canned or froze every thing -  If anyone  wants it I can put down her pie crust recipe  - I never tasted a pie better than mom's 

• Like 3
  • Administrator
Salty Dog

I have to give my wife credit. When we first started to live together, she told me she wasn't that good of a cook.

She only knew how to cook a few things that her mother had cooked.

I never tried to get her to cook western style meals as I was fine with the local cuisine.

I have to say, she never cooked a bad meal. Sure there were some things like Ampalaya (Bitter Gourd) that I just don't like. 

After 8 years, she has created her own style of cooking and if you saw me, you would know it's good.

Just about every meal she cooks starts with garlic, ginger, onions and assorted spices.

Today she made chicken curry and it was excellent.

• Like 2
sugbu777
2 hours ago, Salty Dog said:

I have to say, she never cooked a bad meal. Sure there were some things like Ampalaya (Bitter Gourd) that I just don't like

I still can't stomach ampalaya. Wife loves it.

• Like 1
goggleye
30 minutes ago, sugbu777 said:

I still can't stomach ampalaya. Wife loves it.

cover it with salt awhile  - seems to draw out the bitterness