Local wall , and other construction failures

oztony

@A_Simple_Man @Kabisay-an gid @shadow 

I thought this worthy of it's own thread , and will save the back and forths about fence construction in "the bad guy's" thread.

I have borrowed Dave's picture which excellently displays the failing of the local method ....which all starts at the beginning ..in the ground .

It JUST MAKES IT SO EASY to see what went wrong.

They dig a trench , lay a bed of mortar in the bottom of it and then just start laying blocks , the wall just becomes a pendulum waiting to topple.

The ground becomes soft around it with rainfall and the wind simply blows it over..

And they core fill the wall the same mortar they lay the blocks with , not concrete ...as in sand , cement and aggregate. 4" blocks also only allow a 2" fill , after you take into account the wall thickness of the hollow block, and the block is made with inadequate cement content as well which just adds to the shemozzle of their design and construct technique. In essence you have a structure that is just totally lacking in any integrity whatsoever.

Logic.jpg.6971b318fa93ed18d32ea6d2bb22cdac.jpg

After the trench is dug at 500mm deep and 450 mm wide there should be a steel cage within that area and then concrete poured with starter bars at 400mm spacings , to suit blockwork , then the blocks should be laid ontop of the footing

Image result for cross section of block wall footing

Image result for cross section of block wall footing

Edited by oztony
  • Like 6
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• oztony

• SkyMan

• fred42

• Jester

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

http://www.understandconstruction.com/concrete-frame-structures.html Concrete block, being used as infill or partition, isn't designed to be part of the structural integrity of a pillar and beam

@A_Simple_Man @Kabisay-an gid @shadow  I thought this worthy of it's own thread , and will save the back and forths about fence construction in "the bad guy's" thread. I have borrowed Dave's

Here is another example of clueless activity , all they had to do was use a chicken mesh or similar to help keep this together , but on goes the concrete without anything to keep it binded together ..

Posted Images

oztony

Here is another example of clueless activity , all they had to do was use a chicken mesh or similar to help keep this together , but on goes the concrete without anything to keep it binded together ...

@Paul I think we had a thread about this quite awhile ago , dome construction ..were some quite neat and good dwellings created from memory , they probably just avoided all the shortcuts that Filipino's choose to take.

clinic21.jpg

clinic15.jpg

clinic16.jpg

clinic19.jpg

And here you have the same little house a few years later ....all for the sake of a little bit of chicken wire and maintenance..

clinic25.jpg

clinic26.jpg

http://www.earthbagbuilding.com/projects/clinic.htm

Edited by oztony
add link
  • Like 6
Richard K

One thing that really surprised me when I got here was the QUALITY of the concrete blocks. I am sure some are ok but I have seen alot of them you can literally just pull them apart with your bare hands. And these are being used in new construction. ..and also?.. why doesn't anyone ever strike the joints here?

• Like 2
colemanlee
48 minutes ago, Richard K said:

And these are being used in new construction.

Because its cheap and they can get away with it....that simple

• Like 1
oztony
3 hours ago, Richard K said:

One thing that really surprised me when I got here was the QUALITY of the concrete blocks. I am sure some are ok but I have seen alot of them you can literally just pull them apart with your bare hands. And these are being used in new construction. ..and also?.. why doesn't anyone ever strike the joints here?

They don't strike their blockwork , because it is so atrocious that they cover it with render , welcome to the Philippines , 

Their concrete finishing runs par with their blockwork as well , Villa Feliz on youtube shows the finish , even at a top end build by an owner supervised build , and he appears to be happy with it ...

Everything is reliant on secondary finishing ...instead of getting it right the first time ...layer upon different layer of concrete / mortar / whatever it takes ...to eventually create the right level...

• Like 2
Alfred E. Neuman
12 hours ago, Richard K said:

As a crazy 7 to 10 year old Bruce Lee fanatic, i used the em to toughen my knuckles.

angbumabasa

Here they have at least three qualities of hollow block. Premium lives up to international specification for concrete masonry units. The lowest quality must covered and protected from the elements when in storage or it will literally fall apart. Walls here have no spread footing so if too long without reinforcing will fall down in Yolanda like winds, and did. Likewise since we are on the beach many use beach sand for their mix. That means lots of salt. 

Edited by angbumabasa
Jester

You guys always complaining about something.  Things are built all over the Pi's with no foundations and not that many of them collapse, so you lose one here and there whats the big deal :pacifier:

Of course I do wonder about those multi story condos in Cebu?         Jester

• Like 1
oztony
5 hours ago, Jester said:

You guys always complaining about something.  Things are built all over the Pi's with no foundations and not that many of them collapse, so you lose one here and there whats the big deal :pacifier:

Of course I do wonder about those multi story condos in Cebu?         Jester

The big deal is that you are living in Earthquake territory , and one little block wall falling over is enough to kill you or your family,

But everything is relevant to available budget in the PI , and very little building , domestically, would take place if it was all done to code.

All external walls are meant to be minimum 6" block to even meet the Philippine building code , but 99% are still done with 4".

I don't see any of our comments as complaining at all , just informative on the reality of what takes place...

• Like 3
Jester
9 minutes ago, oztony said:

The big deal is that you are living in Earthquake territory , and one little block wall falling over is enough to kill you or your family,

But everything is relevant to available budget in the PI , and very little building , domestically, would take place if it was all done to code.

All external walls are meant to be minimum 6" block to even meet the Philippine building code , but 99% are still done with 4".

I don't see any of our comments as complaining at all , just informative on the reality of what takes place...

Chill Tony, I should have added a sarcasm emoticon.  Ah, you don't live in a condo do you?

• Like 1
oztony

All chilled here amigo , teeth are chattering :) , 

They try to explain away the 6" thing as an inch of cement render on either side of the 4" block wall equaling 6 inches , but no cigar on that one,

We have had a couple of good rumbles on Negros , 5+ on the richter scale , quite often I have wondered if the under engineering is what saves a lot of the buildings ,

Because they are slightly flexible and sway and move with the shakes....:)

• Like 5
smokey

well lets see quality and safety verses low cost and easy    

Jester

1 inch of  pure cement on each side is cheaper than 6" block?    Not really impressed with the block made from unwashed beach sand.