Sign in to follow this  
greatplace

US Embassy Security Alert

greatplace

On 9 May 2017 the US Embassy in Manila issued a security alert advising that it has received credible information that terrorist groups may be planning to conduct kidnapping operations targeting foreign nationals in the areas of Palawan Province, Philippines, to include Puerto Princesa City, and the areas surrounding Puerto Princesa Subterranean River National Park. Avoid large crowds and gatherings and remain vigilant. The level of this advice has not changed. We continue to advise you to exercise a high degree of caution in the Philippines overall. Higher levels apply in some parts of the country.

For a full text of the revised advice, please refer to: smartraveller.gov.au

For more information, please read the full travel advice/bulletin on the Smartraveller website

You have received this message from the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade because you registered your travel plans and contact details with Smartraveller. To receive email notifications every time the travel advice for this country is updated,subscribe at smartraveller.gov.au.

• Like 1

wondersailor

Great, now Palawan. Welcome to the Philippines, hope you enjoy your stay.

liquido

Yes I received that  email also about Palawan ..the email also mentioned "credited information" liked the one before about Bohol and they were right on...huuumm, makes you wonder?

chaminade1964

Canadians, registered with their embassy, received this email too.

Lee

Until they kill all these terrorist, this shit will never end and no place in the Philippines will be 100% safe from these scumbag kidnappers, frag them all and let them have their virgins. 

angbumabasa

Palawan has been targeted before by ASG some years ago. A resort had been used for DON civilians w/one Seal bodyguard. Somehow ASG learned of it but the DON party left before ASG attacked so ASG grabbed everyone else and took them. The high speed boats were later captured by the AFP  around SULU. open with multiple outboards. Can't recall the outcome. Fortunately the DON guys did not get involved. I knew most of them.  

RogerDat

A mole is operating among them? Plastic trees reintroduced by US covert ops? Who knows, but Palawan has always been a hot spot. I remember an artical back in 2005 or 2006 about a ship loaded with 105 cannons was spotted off shore southern Palawan. ship was registered with labia. Never saw a full story of what was done.

Now the Bohol thing was an eye opener, wonder why they thought people there would support their operations there.

Davaoeno
20 minutes ago, RogerDat said:

Palawan. ship was registered with labia.

I'd love to have seen that one !

maximian
47 minutes ago, Davaoeno said:

I'd love to have seen that one !

Wonder if it was a large labia!

Tullioz
On 5/10/2017 at 4:46 PM, Lee said:

Until they kill all these terrorist, this shit will never end and no place in the Philippines will be 100% safe from these scumbag kidnappers, frag them all and let them have their virgins. 

That is definitely the solution to the problem, but it's easier said than done. Until the political and economic conditions in the Philippines change and there is an end to the corruption at all levels, this country is going to continue to be a breading ground for homegrown terrorists and will look inviting to terrorists from outside the country. While there has always been terrorism in the Philippines, I am afraid things are going to get worse before they get better. 

The military has been doing a pretty good job in the south recently. As can be seen in the headlines below, more than 50 terrorists have been killed in the past week alone. 

31 BIFF fighters killed in series of air strikes, ground assaults
http://www.update.ph/2017/05/31-biff-fighters-killed-in-series-of-air-strikes-ground-assault/17467

FA-50 jets pound Abu Sayyaf camp, kill 20 bandits
http://www.sunstar.com.ph/zamboanga/local-news/2017/05/13/fa-50-jets-pound-abu-sayyaf-camp-kill-20-bandits-541554

While that's great news, the problem that goes along with that success is high ranking members of groups like the Abu Sayyaf, Maute Group, and the BIFF have scattered like roaches and have established new groups in other parts of the country. The most recent ones being formed are the ALG (Al Lazoni Group) in Luzon and the Visayas, and the JMAF (Jama’at al-Muhajirin wa al-Ansar bi al-Filibin) that is now established in the Davao and Cotabato regions. So because of the success the military has had in the south, what was once a regional threat is rapidly becoming a national one, and places that were once thought to be free of terrorist incidents are now more likely to see them. 

Regardless of what these groups call themselves, they are all claiming to be aligned with the IS and with headlines like the ones above and the government making claims that they are succeeding in dismantling these groups, I would expect there to be a large scale terrorist operation soon in an effort to try and discredit these government claims and to gain more international attention. For that reason, the travel warnings are certainly warranted and people should be paying attention to them. 

If these groups do manage to pull off something big, the tourism industry that is already taking a hit because of these various government travel warnings, will go into the toilet for sure.

Below is a propaganda video that was recently released to promote the IS efforts in the Mindanao. Most of this video is believed to have been recorded in Lanao del Sur and Maguindanao. It does contain a couple of graphic scenes, so be aware of that if you decide to view it. 

BLANDS06052017MIN2.mp4

Edited by Tullioz

liquido
6 hours ago, Tullioz said:

Below is a propaganda video that was recently released to promote the IS efforts in the Mindanao. Most of this video is believed to have been recorded in Lanao del Sur and Maguindanao. It does contain a couple of graphic scenes, so be aware of that if you decide to view it. 

BLANDS06052017MIN2.mp4

Certainly makes you think about the possibilities out there and also very disturbing....

RogerDat
18 hours ago, maximian said:

Wonder if it was a large labia!

It had to be to hold all them cannons.

Kabisay-an gid
On 5/9/2017 at 6:28 PM, greatplace said:

US Embassy in Manila issued a security alert advising that it has received credible information that terrorist groups may be planning to conduct kidnapping operations targeting foreign nationals in the areas of Palawan Province, Philippines, to include Puerto Princesa City, and the areas surrounding Puerto Princesa Subterranean River National Park. Avoid large crowds and gatherings and remain vigilant.

I understand the wisdom of avoiding large crowds/gatherings because of the threat of bombings, but the alert specifically mentions only the threat of kidnapping. If the primary threat is kidnapping, I believe it would be wise to also avoid ISOLATED areas.

battleborn

I am here in Pagadian City doing all that is necessary to get married. Been asked two times so far if I am afraid., once by a government employee and again by a friend of my fiancee.  No, everything seems normal.  Hmm, guess that should worry me.

liquido

Elope..