Experimental Solar tracking

Paul
1 minute ago, Ozepete said:

Chinese manufacturers, while their service is and has been second to none... excellent service

When buying eBay products from them, I have found they are more concerned about their rating, and making sure the customer is happy, than they are about the money. They have sent me refunds before, after I only sent them a query as to where my item was. I never asked for a refund. Trouble is, I still needed my parts. :D Anyway, I'm glad I am honest. I make it a point to send them their money back again, after receiving a slow-to-deliver item.

• Like 2
  • Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SkyMan

• Paul

• Oz Jon

• Woolf

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For a while now I've had a single solar panel on a Micro Inverter on the roof of my dog kennel which pitches bit south.  Last month I had to move it to the north side of the house for the summer sun.

Looks like you can get that inverter from lazada http://www.lazada.com.ph/600w-18v-on-grid-tie-inverter-mppt-pure-sine-wave-inverterdc105-28v-to-ac190-260v-solar-power-micro-inverter-intl-1843296

When buying eBay products from them, I have found they are more concerned about their rating, and making sure the customer is happy, than they are about the money. They have sent me refunds before, af

Posted Images

SkyMan
46 minutes ago, Paul said:

EXACTLY my reasons for not over driving them with too large of an array. I can imagine those Chinese things would last about 20 minutes, with full sun, on a 600 watts array. :)

You know you need 1 microinverter per panel, right?  Yes, 600W would burn one up faster than 20 minutes I would imagine.  The NEP I am getting, shown above, is like 2 in one so takes 2 panels which is why the model number is BDM-300X2.  There are also 4 panel models.

Paul
10 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

You know you need 1 microinverter per panel, right?

Yeah, and that you have mains voltage going to the grid right from each panel.

13 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

The NEP I am getting, shown above, is like 2 in one so takes 2 panels which is why the model number is BDM-300X2.  There are also 4 panel models.

This, I didn't know.

SkyMan
11 minutes ago, Paul said:

Yeah, and that you have mains voltage going to the grid right from each panel.

Or to the next microinverter in the chain.

21 minutes ago, Paul said:

This, I didn't know.

wvc-1200.jpg

• Like 1
Paul
On 6/9/2017 at 5:55 AM, Ozepete said:

We don't use any DC-AC inverters but we buy in lots of AC-DC converters and have had trouble finding a type the is not crap. Anything without a brand name... forget and the ones that are open and air cooled only last a short time. Suggest if using one of these to locate in a well ventilated, dry space with a fine screen over to prevent the bugs from entering. We finally got onto Smun and now use their totally sealed (water proof) converter and have not had one failure!  They make good stuff so might be worth looking at their inverters.  http://www.smun.com/en/produce/Pure Sine Wave Inverter.html

Cheers..

@Ozepete 

Peter, they replied. Their inverters are only off-grid. They do not sell grid-tied units. From just browsing their site, unless they rape you on shipping, prices seem quite reasonable. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
SkyMan
On 6/9/2017 at 7:07 AM, SkyMan said:

I have 2 of these on order:HTB1.ERxKFXXXXcLXVXXq6xXFXXXI.jpg

Also sealed and chainable.  And I have 4 320W panels coming.  

Ok, so the solar experiment is on to Phase 3.  

Phase 1 was a 250W panel with on a microinverter on the roof.  

Phase 2 was putting that same panel on a manual single axis tracker.  

Phase 3 now adds 4 320W panels on a mini-carport roof connected to 2 chained NEP BDM-300X2 (or BDM-600) dual panel microinverters which then chain into the microinverter in Phase 1&2.

I saw the panels were going to be delivered Wednesday so I went out first thing to the coco lumber mill and bought the wood.  Got home and started assembling.  Finished about 5 minutes ahead of the panels.

IMG_20170620_172735.jpg.7abe000a4e7de864a998ef9be6eb90a4.jpgIMG_20170620_172748.jpg.35e6df9191afae29347944081e9d2206.jpgIMG_20170620_172810.jpg.57570682d2b97588a25c1cdb3417f380.jpg

Had them running about part of the day yesterday and all day today.  My normal KWH usage per day is 7 or 8.  Yesterday morning the meter read  .....83.  This morning only .....88.  Right now .......83.  :wub:

Phase 4 will be to put those 4 panels on a dual axis tracker.  I'm going to put a carport on the north side of my house and one corner will be supported by a steel post which will be the base of the tracker.  The 250W panel will then just lay on the roof of the carport or the house.

Edited by SkyMan
Paul
1 minute ago, SkyMan said:

Had then running about part of the day yesterday and all day today.  My normal KWH usage per day is 7 or 8.  Yesterday morning the meter read  .....83.  This morning only .....88.  Right now .......83.

You might want to keep that meter ticking forward, at least some.

SkyMan
12 minutes ago, Paul said:

You might want to keep that meter ticking forward, at least some.

Right. Meter is read on the 5th.  Last read was ......368 so at ....483 we've already used over 100KWH.  I'll just make sure the panels are turned off the night of the 4th.  In the meantime I'm going through the hoops to get setup for net metering with VECO.  They pay p5.6/KWH produced.  I also just have to make sure we don't go negative until the net metering is on.

Edited by SkyMan
  • Like 1
SkyMan

On 5/30/2017 at 3:06 PM, SkyMan said:

How's this for an idea...

pergola-solar-pool-heater

Only make the array larger and higher and put it over the pool.  Perhaps single axis tracking.  (For me a bigger pool and therefore bigger array.)  The pool gets shade and then you have plenty of juice to run the pump, pool lights and extra to sell.  You could even heat the pool with passive solar or regular pool heater if the shade lowers the temp too much.

http://www.roisolar.ph/

Edited by SkyMan
  • Like 1
Paul

@SkyMan

TJ, before you connect to Net Metering there, make sure you do some serious research, probably good to put a reliable volt meter, or power meter to your mains, to check the voltage throughout the day. I was just reading, on another forum (PI Rascals), where some guys were experiencing some serious power fluctuations in the mains voltages, up north. Granted, this was on Luzon, I believe anyway. But, I would still check it for a while, before connecting your solar array and inverters to the mains. 

@fordtech may have some information regarding this, as well.

• Like 1
SkyMan
5 hours ago, Paul said:

@SkyMan

TJ, before you connect to Net Metering there, make sure you do some serious research, probably good to put a reliable volt meter, or power meter to your mains, to check the voltage throughout the day. I was just reading, on another forum (PI Rascals), where some guys were experiencing some serious power fluctuations in the mains voltages, up north. Granted, this was on Luzon, I believe anyway. But, I would still check it for a while, before connecting your solar array and inverters to the mains. 

@fordtech may have some information regarding this, as well.

Net metering is actually a bunch of red tape to get set up with a second meter to produce power for VECO.  Right now I'm just connected to the mains (and my meter) turns backwards so I'm getting one for one savings and I'm making sure I don't produce more than I use.

A note on backwards turning meters.  I was told by an experienced solar guy that most (actually he said all) meters in the RP will turn backwards but will count forwards whichever way the disk turns.  I have experienced the counters turning backwards on my meter but for others you might want to watch that.  You would in effect be giving power to the ECo and paying them the retail rate to take it.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
Oz Jon

A bit of caution needed about DIY connecting to the mains!

A properly designed/approved connection kit should have a facility to automatically disconnect your system from the mains in the event of mains failure. So you don't then feed voltage back on to the mains.

If you don't do this, then you may electrocute anyone working on mains wiring/equipment which they believe is dead (isolated from the power station) but your back-feed has made it live!

Edited by Oz Jon
Paul
52 minutes ago, Oz Jon said:

A properly designed/approved connection kit should have a facility to automatically disconnect your system from the mains in the event of mains failure. So you don't then feed voltage back on to the mains.

Not with grid tied inverters. They shut down when the mains go down. 

• Like 2
SkyMan
1 hour ago, Paul said:

Not with grid tied inverters. They shut down when the mains go down. 

Right.  The microinverters supply the same frequency power at slightly higher voltage than it is supplied.  The slightly higher voltage causes the house (load) to use power from the inverter before the grid.  Any surplus is supplied to the grid and any shortage taken from the grid.  No grid supply, nothing produced.