Jump to content

Australian Health Insurance


Recommended Posts

sugbu777
On ‎5‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 10:52 AM, Ozepete said:

I got crook a few years ago

???

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Ozepete

    5

  • bkkmarlowe

    5

  • ellenbrook2001

    4

  • Jim Sibbick

    4

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As Ozepete says, every one pays the small medicare levy with their income and low income earners don't end up pay anything. But high income earners are required to have private health insurance. If th

Free medical , but be prepared to pay more than a $1 for every cigarette and approx $2 for 330ml bottle of beer ,  The smokers and drinkers pay for the medical care of the population with the hug

When it was introduced in Oz in 1975, I and most from the right squealed like stuck pigs!  (Bloody commo lefty bastards, etc etc )   But have to admit that it has been a great thing although it had to

Ozepete
3 hours ago, sugbu777 said:

???

Sorry, 'got crook' is Ozzie slang for got sick.   :P

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 months later...

I live in the Philippines for almost 2 years at a time and only have a tourist visa. I also lodge an Australian tax return for which I pay a Medicare levy (about $650). This maintains my Australian residency and gives me peace of mind should I need to return to Australia for serious medical reasons. I also maintain an Australian address for notifications and renewal of my Medicare card.

I also have private medical insurance in Australia with Medibank Private. Medibank allows me to suspend my coverage (and premiums) for up to 4 years (I know of other private insurance providers that also have the same policy). After 4 years you have to pay 6 months in advance and apply for another 4 years suspension.

If I need medical attention in Australia all I have to do is notify Medibank that I'm back in the country and my coverage is automatically activated and I'm covered immediately but my premiums are also activated. Another option for Aussies living abroad.

Edited by Forex
missing info
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
spydoo
On 07/05/2017 at 10:19 PM, Art said:

They will cancel your medicare card after 12 months absence.

 

They will cancel your Medicare card after 12 months absence if you are only a permanent resident. It's five years for citizens, as shown in the table you posted.

Another way to have some medical coverage, and this for while abroad, is travel insurance with medical cover which costs about Au$100/m for The Philippines for my demographic profile.

Edited by spydoo
Link to post
Share on other sites
mabutiman

Just returned to Manila 1 week ago from Oz for medical reasons ...my medicare card was 2015 ...and last time in Oz was 2012 ...Centerlink will make you re-enroll if your away over 5 years ...very difficult then ...they asked if I had decided to move back ...I said possibly not decided completely ...issued same number except change to last number ...must return within every 5 years ...

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 6 months later...
ellenbrook2001
On 5/7/2017 at 3:12 PM, bkkmarlowe said:

Pete perhaps one would need a valid Medicare card to do this? I have heard that they do NOT issue these to Aussies who do not have an address in Australia... would that be correct? Any llink to some follow-up info appreciated.

even you live most of the time abroad  you still can used the medicare card only in AUSTRALIA i do used every year but the bitch GILLARD 

Link to post
Share on other sites
bkkmarlowe
16 hours ago, ellenbrook2001 said:

even you live most of the time abroad 

When you say "most of the time", that does not apply to all situations for Aussie expats. I did visit Australia 10 years ago for my father's funeral, and Medibank staff told me I would have to live in Australia and have a residential address in that country, to be eligible for free medical benefits.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Ozepete
1 hour ago, bkkmarlowe said:

When you say "most of the time", that does not apply to all situations for Aussie expats. I did visit Australia 10 years ago for my father's funeral, and Medibank staff told me I would have to live in Australia and have a residential address in that country, to be eligible for free medical benefits.

Correct and so it should be. Otherwise the mug hard working Ozzie tax payer would be paying and why should they pay for someone who not only doesn't contribute but lives overseas and spends their money overseas.. Oz is bludgers paradise but hasn't quite got around to propping up everyone that wants to do bugger all and hang off the government tit! :rolleyes:

Link to post
Share on other sites
bkkmarlowe
1 hour ago, Ozepete said:

Correct and so it should be. Otherwise the mug hard working Ozzie tax payer would be paying and why should they pay for someone who not only doesn't contribute but lives overseas and spends their money overseas.. Oz is bludgers paradise but hasn't quite got around to propping up everyone that wants to do bugger all and hang off the government tit! :rolleyes:

My point exactly Pete. I dont live there in Australia... and I am happy with the medical services provided in Bangkok.... paid for with my own savings.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Somewhat related to this topic, you can run into Aus tax problems by being classified as "no longer an Australian resident" for tax purposes , if you are out of the country for more than 6 months in a year. There may also be problems with some pension entitlements.

Particularly, that could cause the loss of the tax-free status of some superannuation funds.

Very complicated rules on these subjects - wise to get professional advice before spending much time overseas.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/8/2017 at 2:12 PM, Ozepete said:

Sorry, 'got crook' is Ozzie slang for got sick.   :P

Ex convict slang?

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Ozepete said:

Correct and so it should be. Otherwise the mug hard working Ozzie tax payer would be paying and why should they pay for someone who not only doesn't contribute but lives overseas and spends their money overseas.. Oz is bludgers paradise but hasn't quite got around to propping up everyone that wants to do bugger all and hang off the government tit! :rolleyes:

So if I was born, and raised, then worked my full adult live in Australia,  then lived oversea's when I retire ( on my own dime ),  are you saying I'm not entitled to medicare in Australia ?

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Jim Sibbick
On 2/2/2018 at 3:25 PM, noddle said:

So if I was born, and raised, then worked my full adult live in Australia,  then lived oversea's when I retire ( on my own dime ),  are you saying I'm not entitled to medicare in Australia ?

After 5 years away, you will not have an entitlement.

Best to keep an Australian address for everything. Tax, licence and Medicare.  I will use my sister. I presume you have brothers, sisters, parents or children's addresses you can use. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jim Sibbick said:

After 5 years away, you will not have an entitlement.

Best to keep an Australian address for everything. Tax, licence and Medicare.  I will use my sister. I presume you have brothers, sisters, parents or children's addresses you can use. 

 

Yes,  my kids live in Tassie..  and when I retire, I do plan on coming back every year or 2,  in Summer ( X-Mas, or there abouts )

Link to post
Share on other sites
ellenbrook2001
On 5/7/2017 at 3:12 PM, bkkmarlowe said:

Pete perhaps one would need a valid Medicare card to do this? I have heard that they do NOT issue these to Aussies who do not have an address in Australia... would that be correct? Any llink to some follow-up info appreciated.

even you live most of the time abroad  you still can used the medicare card only in AUSTRALIA i do used every year but the bitch GILLARD 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..