Australian Health Insurance

CardiacKid

President Trump has been reported as saying that he thinks the Australians have a good health insurance plan. Anyone care to try to explain it? It may at some point become a model for the replacement of Obamacare in the U.S.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bkkmarlowe

• Ozepete

• Jim Sibbick

• ellenbrook2001

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As Ozepete says, every one pays the small medicare levy with their income and low income earners don't end up pay anything. But high income earners are required to have private health insurance. If th

Free medical , but be prepared to pay more than a $1 for every cigarette and approx $2 for 330ml bottle of beer ,  The smokers and drinkers pay for the medical care of the population with the hug

When it was introduced in Oz in 1975, I and most from the right squealed like stuck pigs!  (Bloody commo lefty bastards, etc etc )   But have to admit that it has been a great thing although it had to

oztony
1 hour ago, CardiacKid said:

President Trump has been reported as saying that he thinks the Australians have a good health insurance plan. Anyone care to try to explain it? It may at some point become a model for the replacement of Obamacare in the U.S.

Free medical , but be prepared to pay more than a $1 for every cigarette and approx $2 for 330ml bottle of beer , 

The smokers and drinkers pay for the medical care of the population with the huge taxes that are imposed on those items.

• Like 7
aussiekangaroo
59 minutes ago, oztony said:

Free medical , but be prepared to pay more than a $1 for every cigarette and approx $2 for 330ml bottle of beer , 

The smokers and drinkers pay for the medical care of the population with the huge taxes that are imposed on those items.

There a couple of reasonable full strength beers for as low as $1.25 like Arc Valley and Hollandia, $2 is around the price for Heineken and Carlsberg etc

Edited by aussiekangaroo
  • Like 1
oztony
18 minutes ago, aussiekangaroo said:

There a couple of reasonable full strength beers for as low as $1.25 like Arc Valley and Hollandia, $2 is around the price for Heineken and Carlsberg etc

I drink Australian beer , Crown Golden Ale and Crown Lager , generally around $50 a box of 24 bottles. 

How much of the tax that is paid on this goes towards the medical expenses of the country is an unknown ,

But drinking and smoking in Aus isn't a cheap vice to maintain. 

I have never had private medical insurance , the tax I pay for all of my bad habits goes towards my medical expenses.

Edited by oztony
  • Like 5
Ozepete
3 hours ago, CardiacKid said:

When it was introduced in Oz in 1975, I and most from the right squealed like stuck pigs!  (Bloody commo lefty bastards, etc etc :taz:)   But have to admit that it has been a great thing although it had to be adjusted and tweaked over the years to get it right. Started as 'Medibank'  it changed its name to Medicare in '84.  Every Ozzie and some visitors are covered for medical and hospital costs, and subsidised pharma. This is funded by the "Medicare levee' which is 2% of income once income exceeds $26K. Medicare doesn't cover elective surgery like tit jobs of puffin' up the lips to look like Donald Duck etc. A private insurance can be obtained to cover a range of selected extras like spectacles, physio, chiropractic that are normally not covered by Medicare. IMO the only thing wrong is that there is no patient contribution. A part payment per visit (capped to an annual limit) would reduce waste in the system. All my life I had private cover also but when I got crook a few years ago, I found out that it made no difference to the treatment I got, so I cancelled it and saved thousands since! :good:

• Like 7
Jim Sibbick

As Ozepete says, every one pays the small medicare levy with their income and low income earners don't end up pay anything. But high income earners are required to have private health insurance. If they don't, they have to pay a medicare levy surcharge.   

It is a complicated formula based on spouse income and number of children but a single person with no kids doesn't pay any surcharge until the income exceeds aud $90,000 per year.  I just did a calculation for a single person on aud $100,000 per year. The surcharge is aud $1000. So a single person on aud $100,000 per year, with their 2 percent medicare levy ends up paying about aud $2500 per year. And gets the same standard of health care as a dole bludger (unemployed welfare recipient) who gets paid to sit and home and play video games.

Then when you are sick, how soon you get seen will depend on how sick you are.

If you are over 50, overweight, walk into the hospital and up to the enquiry counter and say you are having chest pains, you are straight in. Even if it turns out you just had too much to eat for lunch, but they decide to put you in intensive care, just in case. The whole process is completely free. Including medicines, doctor visits, meals etc.

But if the doctor tells you that for your age, you need a colonoscopy, you might wait a year for the procedure. It will still be all completely free.

Anyone can have private health insurance which means you can have a private room in a private hospital with your own doctor attending and no matter what the procedure, get seen straight away. So for instance, a person with private health care can have their colonoscopy straight away.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
bkkmarlowe
4 hours ago, Jim Sibbick said:

The whole process is completely free. Including medicines, doctor visits, meals etc.

Jim would it be correct to assume that this free Medicare only applies to Australian citizens who are living permanently in Australia? Would that mean that Aussies living PERMANENTLY abroad would not be eligible for free medical treatment if they visited Australia on vacation?

Ozepete
29 minutes ago, bkkmarlowe said:

Jim would it be correct to assume that this free Medicare only applies to Australian citizens who are living permanently in Australia? Would that mean that Aussies living PERMANENTLY abroad would not be eligible for free medical treatment if they visited Australia on vacation?

All Australians are covered while in Australia. An Aussie permanently abroad is covered only if they return to Australia, so if in pain, catch a plane!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
bkkmarlowe

Pete perhaps one would need a valid Medicare card to do this? I have heard that they do NOT issue these to Aussies who do not have an address in Australia... would that be correct? Any llink to some follow-up info appreciated.

aussiekangaroo
7 hours ago, Ozepete said:

IMO the only thing wrong is that there is no patient contribution. A part payment per visit (capped to an annual limit) would reduce waste in the system.

You got that right it's ridiculous sometimes having to go back every few months just to get a new prescription so they can charge for a consultation, The most anoying is dole bludgers doctor shoping for sleeping tablets and valium etc and having multiple consultations a week for very minor things just because it's free.

It also amazes me how the doctor's clinic don't even ask for any medicare forms to be signed on each visit. How do you know they are aren't just charging for consultations for people not even attending the clinic at that time. I think a few practices have been busted in the past doing that.

Edited by aussiekangaroo
Ozepete
2 hours ago, bkkmarlowe said:

Pete perhaps one would need a valid Medicare card to do this? I have heard that they do NOT issue these to Aussies who do not have an address in Australia... would that be correct? Any llink to some follow-up info appreciated.

I believe that all Australian citizens are/ were issued with a medicare card.  So surely if they go or reside overseas they would have an Australian address on their passport. A search of 'Medicare Australia' would explain the policy better. Only downside is that it open to overuse which is why there should be a co payment. But no doubt if they did that the bludgers would be exempt anyway!

Jim Sibbick
3 hours ago, bkkmarlowe said:

Without going searching for the info, last I heard, if you are outside Australia for 5 years, you lose your Medicare eligibility. 

You only need a valid medicare card when being admitted to a hospital. A sensible person will keep an Australian address for receipt of all government mail, including the replacement medicare card for when the current card expires. When I am back in the Philippines permanently, my sister in Sydney has agreed I can use her address.  

All Australians have access to a thing called MyGov.

https://my.gov.au/mygov

You use it for the following government transatctions

Member services Status Date linked Link / Unlink
Australian Taxation Office Linked 21/09/2014 Unlink from Australian Taxation Office
Medicare Linked 21/09/2014 Unlink from Medicare

Australian JobSearch Unlinked Not Linked Link to Australian JobSearch
Department of Veterans' Affairs Unlinked Not Linked Link to Department of Veterans' Affairs
National Disability Insurance Scheme Unlinked Not Linked Link to National Disability Insurance Scheme
My Health Record Unlinked Not Linked Link to My Health Record
My Aged Care Unlinked Not Linked Link to My Aged Care
Victorian Housing Register Application Unlinked Not Linked Link to Victorian Housing Register Application
Centrelink Unlinked Not Linked Link to Centrelink
Child Support Unlinked Not Linked Link to Child Support

As you can see, i am linked for Medicare and ATO.

You can log in and change address, phone etc yourself. My Gov is very useful at tax time. I used to rush to do my tax straight away in early July. Now I leave my tax returns until August when all sources have reported there info to the government. I go in to do the tax return and 99 percent of it is prefilled. It takes 10 minutes to do the tax return  

• Like 1
Art

They will cancel your medicare card after 12 months absence.

Why you aren't eligible for Medicare

You aren’t eligible for Medicare if you:

• are a permanent resident of Australia and:
    • have been living outside Australia for 12 months or more, or,
    • haven’t come back to live in Australia permanently
  • are an Australian citizen and overseas for 5 years or more
  • are a New Zealand citizen who spends less than 6 months in a 12 month period in Australia
  • aren't eligible under a Reciprocal Health Care Agreement, or
  • haven't applied for permanent residency
  • Like 2
CardiacKid

Thanks for the info. It sounds fair and reasonable. This of course means that the U.S. will probably never see it. There are too many deeply entrenched businesses that would lose money or be forced out of business. The insurance companies alone have enough money to buy any representative they wish. If President Trump were able to push it through, the American version would probably resemble a nightmare more than a dream.

• Like 2
I believe that all Australian citizens are/ were issued with a medicare card.  So surely if they go or reside overseas they would have an Australian address on their passport. A search of 'Medicare Australia' would explain the policy better. Only downside is that it open to overuse which is why there should be a co payment. But no doubt if they did that the bludgers would be exempt anyway!

Not so long ago , I returned to Australia after a 4 year absence .. I had heard about the 5 year rule , so was pretty confident I could renew .
Of all the government agencies , Medicare was the least " friendly " .. however I had already updated my Centrelink Info, and had renewed my drivers licence, so had good proof of current address.

Filled in the forms as required , then had to go and get a stat dec ( Statutory Declaration ) witnessed by a Justice of Peace , stating I intended to stay in the country. Which I did . .

They gave me a temporary card that day , and sent the permanent one out by mail , but the nice lady ( b_ _ tch ) that managed that branch gave me that look .. she didn't believe for one minute , that I was sticking around !

Well, actually I didn't , but I won't do anymore 4 year absences, most likely every 18 months will go back.

Sent from my SM-T535 using Tapatalk

• Like 2