Sign in to follow this  
Wolfpack

Red Planet Hotel (Cebu)

Wolfpack

I've stayed @ Red Planet Cebu quite a few times now...think they are worthy of a review

Location, a very close walk to Ayala...is the major plus...as it is much less expensive than the Marriott

Red Planet hotels are just the basics...no room service (no phone in the room)...no bar or restaurant on the actual premises...no fridge (even upon request)

The rooms are extremely clean (by Philippine standards)...I am yet to see a cockroach in the place...no ant issues

they do have wifi...and while it is not the internet speed one finds in the states...it is a speed that far exceeds what I am accustomed to living south of Cebu City

they have hot water and a shower that actually has some water pressure to go along with that hot water...

the a/c situation can be a bit tricky...I recommend one keep the room temp about 22 degrees...if one tries to get 16 degrees out of their a/c units...they tend to freeze up...I have experienced this freeze up issues in so many different rooms there...I have accepted the 22 degrees...I have experienced worse

I book through expedia...I find the rates tend to average about 2000 pesos including all those taxes

I find that expedia rates are lower than the Red Planet website offers...strange but that is my experience

The walk from Red Planet to Ayala, especially at night...is much less creepy than that walk to Quest...which is also very close to Ayala (and also Red Plant)...but one gets the dumb thoughts of trying to cross the road to Ayala (extremely dangerous when drinking)...or worse, walking toward that super duper creepy intersection (still speaking of Quest Hotel)

If you are looking for a place...when just spending a night in Cebu...hard to find better value...found the place by accident when in the city during a rain storm (July 2016)...and have returned over a dozen times since because of the convenience...it is nice place to relax after a good meal and drink or two (or three or four) without dealing with the traffic nonsense going home

They have a 711 that sells ice for 22 pesos...if you happen to bring a cooler with you

Works out nice to have some nice meals..stay the night or two...and head to S & R on a Sunday morning when there are no traffic issue :)

• Like 1

Alfred E. Neuman

Formerly known as Tune Hotel?

Skywalker
1 hour ago, Alfred E. Neuman said:

Correct.  And much reviewed on this site.

• Like 1

rep1
7 hours ago, Wolfpack said:

The walk from Red Planet to Ayala, especially at night...is much less creepy than that walk to Quest...which is also very close to Ayala (and also Red Plant)...but one gets the dumb thoughts of trying to cross the road to Ayala (extremely dangerous when drinking)...or worse, walking toward that super duper creepy intersection (still speaking of Quest Hotel)

Huh?! It's not easy to cross that at rush hour (did it everyday!). And both of the front gate and Metro are very bad entries, flooded by locals and more susceptible to thieving and random shooting.

It's much easier if you follow the sign of Quest: go under the bridge (lots of bikers and jeepnies there) and enter the terrace.

dart69

I don't understand this desire to have AC set to 16. If it is less than 23 I start to shut down and can't sleep from shivering ...

• Like 2

RogerDat

If it's a room AC, my experience is that the filter is dirty, clean that, and it is fine. In Manila Airport hotel, my room had blue carpet, and the AC was like a blanket on the filter of blue fuzz an inch thick. Washed it in shower, and it cooled great. Next morning as I am leaving, the maid comes in, and her vacuum bag is full as can be, a Hover, they seam to have a bypass.

• Like 1

Wolfpack
On 05/05/2017 at 9:25 PM, Alfred E. Neuman said:

no idea, not familiar with Tune Hotel :(

Wolfpack
On 05/05/2017 at 10:42 PM, rep1 said:

Huh?! It's not easy to cross that at rush hour (did it everyday!). And both of the front gate and Metro are very bad entries, flooded by locals and more susceptible to thieving and random shooting.

It's much easier if you follow the sign of Quest: go under the bridge (lots of bikers and jeepnies there) and enter the terrace.

Red Planet has those traffic light right in front of it...its like clock work, walking when the are red...easy as pie...

if I ever stay at Quest again, i would take a taxi to Ayala...that underpass crossing gives me the creeps!!!

delancey

Quest and Red Planet (Tune) both high value to price.

Quest is the value equivalent to Marriott. You save a few thousand and get close amenities.

Red Planet is a K.I.S.S. place and clean, small, basic. Very reasonable.

Red Planet a lot of beggar children at the light and near 7-11. Easy to work around them, harmless.

Quest crossing to Ayala is literally thirty seconds and utterly simple after the initial WTF familiarization stage.

Very nice choices.

rep1
10 hours ago, Wolfpack said:

Red Planet has those traffic light right in front of it...its like clock work, walking when the are red...easy as pie...

When it's red they can still turn right. A lot of cars turn right all the time. And you don't have a space in the middle - too many cars in both lanes.

The underpass crossing is very easy: 1) cross the first half when there is no car (1/2 chance), and 2) wait in the jeepnies/bikers area and cross the second half when there is no car (3/4 chance, usually no wait) - most jeepnies just make u-turn in the underpass, jammed all the traffic so it's perfectly safe.

Davaoeno
13 minutes ago, rep1 said:

When it's red they can still turn right. A lot of cars turn right all the time. And you don't have a space in the middle - too many cars in both lanes.

Sometimes you just have to man up and deal with how things are . I have crossed that intersection many many times. I have never felt that as long as I use my eyes I was at risk .   If that crossing is the most dangerous thing you encounter in Cebu consider yourself a lucky man .

Red Planet has a day to day pricing policy - so the rate depends on the occupancy rate on any particular day . I have stayed there many times but last week stayed somewhere else because Red Planet was too expensive that day .

• Like 2

delancey
21 hours ago, Paul said:

Don't worry. They will find another way to let you down. :D

But he had that rare magic moment- efficient government. May he linger in the afterglow!

Tom in Texas
12 hours ago, Wolfpack said:

if I ever stay at Quest again, i would take a taxi to Ayala...that underpass crossing gives me the creeps!!!

I may be mistaken, but we used to walk from Ayala to Quest to eat, and I believe we used to cut through a covered parking garage and avoid crossing under at overpass.  

Mikal
15 hours ago, delancey said:

Red Planet a lot of beggar children at the light and near 7-11. Easy to work around them, harmless.

And late at night / early in the morning the LBs.  I crossed that 7-11 off my list a long time ago because I got a little tired of having to deal with the LBs that are at the corner of or just a bit up Molave.

rizla
21 hours ago, delancey said:

Quest is the value equivalent to Marriott. You save a few thousand and get close amenities.

Really? I have stayed at Marriott hotels all over the world and not one could be compared to the awful Quest, overpriced, dirty, unhelpful staff and a security system that makes you feel uncomfortable entering the building.

Personally, I am happy to pay extra and stay at Lex best Western, or if on a budget the Castle peak is still better than Quest IMO. Red Planet is ideal for a short stay, clean convenient and easy access to Ayala, Shame about the No smoking policy, which means you have to share the pavement outside with some strange locals.

Edited by rizla
  • Like 1