Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Jester

SPAM, she sends spam for Pete's sake!

 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Jester

    9

  • lolhahaha

    4

  • Soarking

    4

  • Salty Dog

    3

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The biggest saving for me was buying a new Rolex that was worth $12,000 usd stateside and only cost me 1400 pesos in the local mall  !!

My wife brings over apples, oranges and grapes in her check in luggage.  As if they don't have that stuff here.   Then she complains her luggage is overweight. Few years ago my wife packed my sui

My wife likes to overfill the boxes.  Silly me I think a box should be square, she thinks its ok if its rounded at the top.

Posted Images

lolhahaha
4 hours ago, RangerUp said:

How small are you?

XXL here=L in the US. It's probably actually between M-L in the US but they fit me perfect.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
TheWhiteKnight
1 hour ago, Jester said:

SPAM, she sends spam for Pete's sake!

 

Interesting note, I sent myself some really well priced spam from Costco (it's really much cheaper there). It's the same type 30% low sodium or whatever, but the one you get locally from Metro actually tastes much better to me.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Soarking
1 hour ago, Jester said:

SPAM, she sends spam for Pete's sake!

 

My wife brings over apples, oranges and grapes in her check in luggage.  As if they don't have that stuff here.   Then she complains her luggage is overweight.

Few years ago my wife packed my suitcase putting frozen strawberries on the bottom and oranges in top.   In Manila as I was wheeling my luggage from the baggage claim towards the X-ray machine as you leave the airport, one of the airport employees said to me, "Excuse me sir,  your luggage is bleeding".   Here I was leaving a deep red trail of strawberries behind me.  And it did look just like blood.

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
lolhahaha
8 hours ago, Soarking said:

 "Excuse me sir,  your luggage is bleeding".   Here I was leaving a deep red trail of strawberries behind me.  And it did look just like blood.

If that happens again you should put one of those drug dealer signs on your suitcase just to be safe.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
JamesMusslewhite
On 04/05/2017 at 0:02 PM, shadow said:

Looking at that list of potential additional fees it seems that it could easily cost $1,000 or more to send back what originally only cost $110 to send here.

Oh well I guess I will have to find another way to send all my gold bars and chocolates... . :biggrin_01:

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
Jester

After repacking, rearranging, moving from box to box, the towel has been thrown in and a 3rd box has been ordered :rolleyes: I am going to put my foot down at 3, there will not be a 4th! 

The 3rd box should end the Spam and Corned beef hash drought in the PI's.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
lamoe
4 hours ago, Jester said:

I am going to put my foot down at 3, there will not be a 4th! 

 

Riiiiiiight     :1frog:

That was one of the first things I learned about the ladies here - "yes hon" are not words  just sounds

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
ugly american
6 hours ago, Jester said:

After repacking, rearranging, moving from box to box, the towel has been thrown in and a 3rd box has been ordered :rolleyes: I am going to put my foot down at 3, there will not be a 4th! 

The 3rd box should end the Spam and Corned beef hash drought in the PI's.

Don't forget the Vienna sausage 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
lolhahaha
11 hours ago, Jester said:

The 3rd box should end the Spam and Corned beef hash drought in the PI's.

Actually, spam and cbh can both be bought here for around 3 dollars a can. I guess it must be a lot cheaper there in the US but I never ate any of those canned meats until I got here, for some reason we actually eat spam and cbh with rice alot now.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Jester
3 hours ago, lolhahaha said:

Actually, spam and cbh can both be bought here for around 3 dollars a can. I guess it must be a lot cheaper there in the US but I never ate any of those canned meats until I got here, for some reason we actually eat spam and cbh with rice alot now.

Actually the bulk of what is in the box can be bought in the PI's. There are some items that are not available or available at great cost, ie quality can opener, decent tools. Before next trip I will send a  quality bathroom faucet. Logistically, economically and such it makes no sense.  But the wife wants to buy things for her family, this is like xmas and birthdays, anniversaries and such all rolled up into one (actually three) box. With the chocolate  Easter is in there :rolleyes:

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Administrator
Salty Dog
1 hour ago, Jester said:

Actually the bulk of what is in the box can be bought in the PI's. There are some items that are not available or available at great cost, ie quality can opener, decent tools. Before next trip I will send a  quality bathroom faucet. Logistically, economically and such it makes no sense.  But the wife wants to buy things for her family, this is like xmas and birthdays, anniversaries and such all rolled up into one (actually three) box. With the chocolate  Easter is in there :rolleyes:

What would you estimate total cost of those three boxes are,including shipping charges?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Jester

I think shipping charges are now $100 box with LBC.  LBC has never failed us and we have had no problems with them so would not consider a cheaper company.  I would have to take a WAG and say average value per box of $400.  Not many high value items this time.  A fair amount in batteries, the ones in the PI's are junk and expensive.

Link to post
Share on other sites
herman
On 04/05/2017 at 5:28 PM, Davaoeno said:

The biggest saving for me was buying a new Rolex that was worth $12,000 usd stateside and only cost me 1400 pesos in the local mall  !!

Hahaha, ripped off. I got mine for 1200.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
Chris24
On ‎5‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 1:58 AM, lolhahaha said:

Actually, spam and cbh can both be bought here for around 3 dollars a can. I guess it must be a lot cheaper there in the US but I never ate any of those canned meats until I got here, for some reason we actually eat spam and cbh with rice alot now.

I've found Spam Low Sodium in bulk for $1.88 at Business Costco in Phoenix recently.  It's $2.64 or higher in grocery stores.   The canned corned beef (in 12 oz. "loaves" for lack of a better term) is $4 - $5 at Walmart.  I haven't eaten the CB loaves for a very long time, since my wife introduced me to the good-quality corned beef in the round cans from Australia, New Zealand and Argentina.  I regularly stock Palm and Ox & Palm at home, purchased from the local Asian store.  Palm was $5.97 recently and Ox & Palm was $5.77 recently, both in the 15 oz. round cans.  

I think that the BB box is more of a tradition, akin to a "care package" from the family member abroad.  The tradition has outlived the economics in many (but not all) cases. I read somewhere the trick of putting a couple of clothes dryer sheets like Bounty in the box so that the contents, especially towels and clothes, arrive smelling like "America" (or wherever the box is shipped from) to the happy recipient. 

We can probably all relate to loads of BB Treasures harvested from trips to the Dollar store accumulated in our closets and sometimes living rooms.  I just asked my wife what the most useful things are to put in a BB box, and she responded "lotions, shampoo, soap, toothpaste and essentials, and of course canned goods and bargains like plates from Ikea, things like that."   Like others here, I doubt that there's an objective economic advantage to shipping many of those things, but they're a thoughtful way to add a bit of fun and stay connected with family, friends and neighbors back home. 

Edited by Chris24
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..