oztony

13 A Visa / Death of your spouse

oztony

Found this on a web page ;

What this article doesn't have and should add to this excellent article! 
It's when a person's Philippine Citizen Spouse dies, the 13A Visa becomes canceled. I talk from up close and personal experience, when I refer to what happened.
For many years, because of my marriage to a dual U.S.-RP Citizen, I was able to get 13A Visa and with it an Alien Certificate of Registration(ACR). At the time the Bureau of Immigration (BI) said I could keep my ACR, even if my Philippine Spouse died. 
As John Miele correctly states that the 13A Visa can be done WITHOUT A FIXER! Like John, I had to leave the country, a few times a year and had to pay the money expected of ACR Holders.Thankfully, I didn't pay like John did and paid in high 4 digits. 
When my wife died in 2014, I called the BI and informed them of her death. At that time, the BI told me I could stay in the country. And so for the first 60 days evey year, I paid the required P310 and got fingerprinted. 
My ACR would expire on June 28, 2016 and so I completed the BI requirements before going to the BI Main Office at the Intramuros, Manila. On the BI Document, there were 4 status of the applicant and I placed widower.
I went to the BI Main Office with all the requirements. I handed the documents and a checker looked at my document. He saw that I had checked off widower. He asked me to stand in front of the window as he got a BI Lawyer. The BI Lawyer said my 13A Visa was canceled DUE TO MY WIFE'S DEATH. He had me go up to the second floor and again informed my 13A Visa was canceled. I was informed I had 11 days to complete my business and had to be on a jet no later than June 28, 2016. This was highly stressful and by June 28, 2016, I left the country under voluntary departure. 
ASK THE BI LAWYERS AND GET A LEGAL OPINION ON A DOCUMENT- what if my Philippine Citizen Spouse dies, what happens to my 13A Visa?

• Like 1

Jawny

Has been discussed in the past as well.

Lee

Is the Philippines the only country that kicks a foreigner to the curb when their 13a sponsor dies, that sure sucks to be stomped on when a person is already down from the death of their loved one.

As a side note, I wonder why the guy was told he had to leave right away, maybe he had to take a side trip out and then come back on a tourist visa, or was he blacklisted for failure to report the death of his wife and maybe failure to pay tourist visa costs during that period of time? 

A guy I knew years ago got his SRRV when his estranged wife told him she was going to cancel his 13a, so I guess there are other options rather than having to leave. 

• Like 3

cebubird
6 minutes ago, Lee said:

Is the Philippines the only country that kicks a foreigner to the curb when their 13a sponsor dies, that sure sucks to be stomped on when a person is already down from the death of their loved one.

As a side note, I wonder why the guy was told he had to leave right away, maybe he had to take a side trip out and then come back on a tourist visa, or was he blacklisted for failure to report the death of his wife and maybe failure to pay tourist visa costs during that period of time? 

A guy I knew years ago got his SRRV when his estranged wife told him she was going to cancel his 13a, so I guess there are other options rather than having to leave. 

"is the PI only country......."

Probably not-it's just that here, Lee,, seemingly nobody gets kicked out for anything, and we forget that other countries have their laws that they enforce concerning foreigners in their country.

Lee
9 minutes ago, cebubird said:

"is the PI only country......."

Probably not-it's just that here, Lee,, seemingly nobody gets kicked out for anything, and we forget that other countries have their laws that they enforce concerning foreigners in their country.

But once married to one of their citizens, surely a person should be able to stay, a provision should be made, if not then any of you guys who invest in a home or land have to be insane to do that unless you have a backup plan to stay at least until the property is sold off. 

I knew up front, thus yet another reason I bought a condo, because I as a foreigner can own a condo. None of us ever wants our usually younger wives to go before us but it does sometimes happen, I remember younger female members of this forum dying as well as some others we heard of, so why invest a dime in a country who will kick us to the curb by revoking our 13a upon the death of a spouse.

• Like 2

oztony

Yeah it is a bit rough, but in typical Filipino fashion they just do not like being reciprocal on the  rights that their citizens are afforded in other country's , it is the old one way train in motion .......yet again.

• Like 2

Busted Dick

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I browsed into it when looking for other info about the 13a visa.  Contrary to what has been posted on this thread, I have a friend who's Filipina spouse died around 5 years ago.  After her death he informed BI by letter and received a written reply that confirms that his 13a visa continues to be valid after her death.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

MickyG

Even more so if they have young children. I know a widower here in that position under a 13a and he has not been kicked out either.

smokey
On 4/30/2017 at 9:44 AM, Lee said:

But once married to one of their citizens, surely a person should be able to stay, a provision should be made, if not then any of you guys who invest in a home or land have to be insane to do that unless you have a backup plan to stay at least until the property is sold off. 

I knew up front, thus yet another reason I bought a condo, because I as a foreigner can own a condo. None of us ever wants our usually younger wives to go before us but it does sometimes happen, I remember younger female members of this forum dying as well as some others we heard of, so why invest a dime in a country who will kick us to the curb by revoking our 13a upon the death of a spouse.

Something is wrong here we know a foreigner who saw his wife go first he was told he had one year to sell his house

Busted Dick

Yes this guy has a child too.  Maybe that expains the differing advice.  Who knows!

Headshot

There is a huge difference between keeping your 13A visa and keeping a house. They are two different subjects. The 13A is controlled by the immigration law, and conjugal property is covered under family law.

MickyG

you can legally inherit real property so not sure how the sale can be enforced.

Anyway i have written to the BI and await their definitive answer as it should end the confusion, for today!! 

Edited by MickyG
  • Like 2

Davaoeno
24 minutes ago, MickyG said:

Anyway i have written to the BI and await their definitive answer as it should end the confusion

hahahahahaha     If only !!!

• Like 2

RogerDat

You can inherit your wife's property, but have a time limit to sell it, or it goes to next close relative. Our things will go to our daughter.

MickyG

Where did you get the time limit? and how long is it.  Can you stay and look after the children until what age?