Sign in to follow this  
David Kennedy

Best cataract and lens replacement in Cebu?

David Kennedy

I've talked to ACES here in Dgte which kind of operates out of the Medalle bldg at Fuente Circle-I"m wondering if there are other options in Cebu. Dr Medalle wants p75,000 alone for the lens that is good for distance and reading...

So maybe there's a competitor with better prices?

to_dave007

No nothing of this subject, so can't help you.  But doc in Canada advised me that I have developing cataracts so I'm curious about the subject.

You say 75,000 peso for the lens.. Is that lens for cataract surgery?  One lens or two?  From your question I assume that's 75,000 peso WITHOUT installment surgery. Any idea how much is the surgery?

Some contributions to this thread from Google....

http://www.whatclinic.com.ph/eye-clinics/philippines/cebu-city/cataract

http://www.chonghua.com.ph/index.php/services/eye_institute/cataract

https://www.practo.com/philippines/cebu-city/doctors-for-cataract-surgery

http://larrazabaleye.com/ccf.html

David Kennedy

The cost for surgery was apprx P60,000 per eye with the lesser lens that you'd need glasses to  read with. Phil Health would cover P16T but I need that for other medical needs so - not knowing which would be the best I'd just pay the P60T.

I can't remember if I asked if there's an allowance for the standard lens if you opt for the expensive one, but it seems like I asked and there wasn't-which doesn't make sense does it?  They're less 2km away here in Dgte so I need to check on that.  I think the surgery is actually done at Medalle/Fuente

Thanks for the links

Edited by David Kennedy

David Kennedy

Maybe I can get some feedback from who's gone where and what it cost to save me running all over town and sitting through consultations etc

Jawny
33 minutes ago, David Kennedy said:

Maybe I can get some feedback from who's gone where and what it cost to save me running all over town and sitting through consultations etc

I'd suggest a search of the LinC archives using "cataracts". Lots of comments from those with experience. 

David Kennedy

I did a search and the first page of results were about surgery in other PI cities-plus old info may no longer be relevant-especially pricing

Edited by David Kennedy

RogerDuMond

If you are looking for the best in Cebu, my recommendation is Dr. Cymmer Go, but he wouldn't be the cheapest. I had some scarring from cataract surgery in the US and he took care of it with their laser machine.

Jose Cymmer Go, MD
Director - Chong Hua Hospital Eye Institute
Specialization: Cataract - Refractive Surgery and General Ophthalmology

Dr Cymmer Go is well known for his expertise in Cataract Extraction Surgery, he earned his medical degree at the University of Santo Tomas and finished his residency at the same University's hospital in 1993. Having completed his Clinical Fellowship in Oculoplastic Surgery in 1995 at the University of Utah, he first served as Chairman of Cebu City Medical Center's Department of Ophthalmology and then as Section Head of Ophthalmology in Chong Hua Hospital's Department of Surgery. He has recently trained under Dr. Alain Telandro of CAP Ophthalmology in Cannes, France. Dr Cymmer Go is the foremost surgeon in Chong Hua Hospital who performs Lasik procedures using Eye Institute's new Laser Machine, the Nidek Excimer EC-5000.

• Like 3

cebubird

Chong Hua Eye Center. Due to Shingles in eye and ongoing complications, went there for 3 years after visiting several other places. Both Dr. Jeffrey Lim and Dr. Janice Lim, are excellent and they won't do procedures just for sake of doing it, and making money.

• Like 2

ellenbrook2001

did have the surgery last month with C CIMAFRANCA IN CHONG HUA  cost for the lens 50 000  p hospital 25.000  p seem good but did take 1 month before all completed and see normal again

• Like 2

Jack Rat
On 4/29/2017 at 6:06 AM, David Kennedy said:

I've talked to ACES here in Dgte which kind of operates out of the Medalle bldg at Fuente Circle-I"m wondering if there are other options in Cebu. Dr Medalle wants p75,000 alone for the lens that is good for distance and reading...

So maybe there's a competitor with better prices?

Ronald Medalle I presume, he may be negotiable it's worth trying? Still a pretty good deal considering you would pay at least double that if you had the operation offshore.

papimafioso69

I had that surgery 7 yrs. ago . Had Bausch & Lomb lens put in at my cost of 2000 dollars  , out of pocket because my Insurance   said not to have glasses was cosmetic . Everything was good up too about 2 yrs. ago when I had to start using cheaters again for reading  . Don't be surprised if that happens . The glare from computer and phone screens will have that effect on your eyes . For distance and night driving I'm at 20/20  . I can still read print on paper in a well lit environment . Also after your surgery , try to read some thing everyday in print on paper as a eye exercise . 

RogerDuMond
On 1/18/2019 at 8:44 PM, ellenbrook2001 said:

but did take 1 month before all completed and see normal again

That is normal, just like any other operation, the physical trauma takes time to heal.