Do As I Say, Not As I Did...

sugbu777
On ‎4‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 10:11 AM, M.C.A. said:

USNS Chauvenet

USNS Chauvenet - "Survey by Braille"

I was on the USNS Navasota and USNS Catawba out of Subic. The Chauvenet MilDet had T-shirts that had the above saying on it ..due to the Chauvenet running aground during different survey missions. They would survey previously uncharted areas so that would account for the running aground incidents.

• Like 1
  • Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paul

• Salty Dog

• TequilaSunset

• Davaoeno

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The problem is a lot of them just spend most of their days sitting on their asses eating and gossiping and when they get to the promised land they want to continue doing just that, The problem is

My first visit, in 1994, I didn't visit the Philippines to find a Filipina. I visited with my friend Ian so that he could visit his Filipina "pen pal" This was in the days when you had to write s

Here's why I stuck it out 6 yrs to court my then wife to be before we got married. It was worth the wait.      

Posted Images

Jim Sibbick
14 hours ago, Monsoon said:

So how did things work out with Ian and Margie? 

Ian was debt free before getting married. A famer and grazier on 12,000 acres. 

It was a 2 kilometre trip just from the front gate to the farm house. Margie didn't like being isolated and spent a lot of time with her friends in town.

About 2 years into the marriage, Margie comes home and says my friends tells me I am entitled to half. I want half.

We already knew there was trouble and I happened to be there when she came in and made this declaration.

We had found out that a non contributing wife is entitled to 5 percent per year. I told her what her 10 percent was worth. I told her what debts she had run up since she arrived in Australia. I told her what the difference was and when she paid us, she could be on her way.

She said that if she couldn't have it, no one could and started kicking holes in the walls. I told her we would just add the damage to her bill and she left.

• Like 7
Paul
15 minutes ago, Jim Sibbick said:

She said that if she couldn't have it, no one could and started kicking holes in the walls. I told her we would just add the damage to her bill and she left.

The moral of this story seems to be, don't go to Palompon, Leyte, looking for a wife.
In his case, @Jim Sibbick, after the "kicking holes in the walls" incident, I would have dug a rubbish tip for that ol' gal, somewhere on that 12,000 acres.

Ungrateful bitch.

• Like 5
Headshot
9 hours ago, TequilaSunset said:

Then there is those of us (or just me) that are paranoid and their spidey senses are always on alert :crazy:

That is just one of the mechanisms people use to convince themselves that they are invulnerable. "I have spidey senses, so I will see it coming." That is self-delusional. When the SHTF, most likely they will never see it coming. If a guy engages in risky behavior (that has burned many others), sooner or later it will probably catch up with him. Only dumb luck can save him, and nobody can count on that.

• Like 1
Davaoeno
3 hours ago, Jim Sibbick said:

t was a 2 kilometre trip just from the front gate to the farm house. Margie didn't like being isolated and spent a lot of time with her friends in town.

I wonder if , while talking with all those women in the house in the video , he told this woman who had always been surrounded by family and friends her whole life that he intended taking her somewhere that she had no family and no friends and no neighbours ?? It would be like sending one of us to the Gulag !!   [ where Stalin sent political prisoners to be a cheap source of labor in total isolation  ]      If Margie had been told the truth [ or realized what the truth entailed] I bet she would have chosen to stay at home in Leyte !! 

Edited by Davaoeno
  • Like 1
Jim Sibbick
2 minutes ago, Davaoeno said:

I wonder if , while talking with all those women in the house in the video , he told this woman who had always been surrounded by family and friends her whole life that he intended taking her somewhere that she had no family and no friends and no neighbours ?? It would be like sending one of us to the Gulag !!   [ where Stalin sent political prisoners to be a cheap source of labor in total isolation  ]      If Margie had been told the truth [ or realized what the truth entailed] I bet she would have chosen to stay at home in Leyte !! 

She was told the truth. But had no concept of living on 12,000 acres.  

She got her driver's licence very quickly after arriving in Australia and was able to drive where she wanted. She had plenty of friends in town to visit. Including my ex wife and the Filipina lady who took us to Palompon in the first place. 

• Like 3
Paul
11 minutes ago, Davaoeno said:

If anyone should have been killed and buried with the garbage it was the guy who put a naive  young girl in that kind of situation.

Right. It's not like her life, and future, was about to improve a thousand times over her current living situation.

• Like 2
SkyMan
5 hours ago, smokey said:

so lets see a guy jay walks all the time and  one day  gets hit by a car and spends most if not all  of his money in the hospital... goes on a forum and tells everyone i think if you jaywalk its bad and then everyone says... just because you got hit dont mean he will so let him experience it for himself...  

I figure warn them and if they choose to ignore, you always have that "I told you so" factor.

There are a lot of accidents with power tools but are the tools the danger or the guy (Lefty) misusing it?  Some people are immune to advice but it should probably be given.  I can't turn on a power tool without hearing my dad's advice.

Davaoeno
Just now, Paul said:

Right. It's not like her life, and future, was about to improve a thousand times over her current living situation.

After all these years have you learned nothing about what is important to filipinos ? Do you think 12000 acres of pasture  kilometers from town is a substitute for a loving family surrounding here.  I bet for her living in that vast emptiness was sure torture.

As I said earlier, he may have tried to explain the living situation to her, but a girl from a shack in leyte would have no idea at all what he was describing.  I'm sure her head was full of fantasies, but the reality was far far from what she imagined.  I'm sure that he meant her no harm or unhappiness- its just that the living situation was what it was. And for her it was unbearable.

• Like 1
Davaoeno
1 minute ago, SkyMan said:

I figure warn them and if they choose to ignore, you always have that "I told you so" factor.

There is a big difference between ignoring you and not having the slightest idea what you are talking about ! And surely if a foreigner comes to the Phil and gets a young naive filipina to move to a wasteland in  Bumfeck OZ he owes her more than a " I told you so ! "

• Like 1
Paul
Just now, Davaoeno said:

After all these years have you learned nothing about what is important to filipinos ? Do you think 12000 acres of pasture  kilometers from town is a substitute for a loving family surrounding here.  I bet for her living in that vast emptiness was sure torture.

Yes, I have. And, as Jim stated, she could drive.

Davaoeno
Just now, Paul said:

Yes, I have. And, as Jim stated, she could drive.

And I bet like a dutiful Australian outback cattle rancher he encouraged her to take the car into town and be with her friends instead of staying with him on the ranch.

[ and how much begging did it take to get him to give her the keys to the ute ?? }

Paul

After two years of marriage, would that give her the right to half his shit?

1 minute ago, Davaoeno said:

And I bet like a dutiful Australian outback cattle rancher he encouraged her to take the car into town and be with her friends instead of staying with him on the ranch.

[ and how much begging did it take to get him to give her the keys to the ute ?? }

I doubt he shackled her, after helping her secure a driving licence. 

• Like 2
SkyMan
12 minutes ago, Davaoeno said:

There is a big difference between ignoring you and not having the slightest idea what you are talking about ! And surely if a foreigner comes to the Phil and gets a young naive filipina to move to a wasteland in  Bumfeck OZ he owes her more than a " I told you so ! "

The guy gets the "I told you so." from the guy that told him that would be a bad idea.

• Like 1
Ozepete

As a young bloke in a mess with a female, my old man consoled me with this little purla:  "Don't worry son, anyone who never went down a dead end lane has never gone anywhere" 

Years later I said to him:  "Geez Dad I didn't realise there were so many fecking dead end lanes" :o

Edited by Ozepete
  • Like 8