Jump to content

Vaccines


Topper

Recommended Posts

Topper

I'll be traveling to the Philippines soon and was wondering if anyone knows of any shots I should get once I get there. Also, where would be a good place to go in Cebu to get them? My doctor gave me a printout of what the Centers for Disease Control recommended,but they are really expensive here in the States and was hoping that they would be cheaper in the Philippines. I'm hoping those of you who have lived there for awhile should know what ones to get. Any other precautions recommended?

Topper

Link to post
Share on other sites
Davaoeno

I was given a list of recommended vacines before I came . I got none of them, and have never regretted my decision.  However I live in the city and dont spend a lot of time trecking through the jungle. If i did i would reconsider my decision.  Hep A ? malaria ?

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Kahuna

I see they have a vaccine now for Dengue.  That might be handy to get..

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Topper

Thanks for your reply Ian. I've been to the PI about 7 times before and never did get any shots and all was fine, but a friend of mine who went got some kind of parasite and it took awhile for him to get it cured. I guess I'm getting a little "gun shy" in my older age and worrying about thing more.

Just now, Kahuna said:

I see they have a vaccine now for Dengue.  That might be handy to get..

That was my thoughts too. Do you know of any place to get one? 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Kahuna
2 minutes ago, Topper said:

Thanks for your reply Ian. I've been to the PI about 7 times before and never did get any shots and all was fine, but a friend of mine who went got some kind of parasite and it took awhile for him to get it cured. I guess I'm getting a little "gun shy" in my older age and worrying about thing more.

That was my thoughts too. Do you know of any place to get one? 

http://www.philstar.com/health-and-family/2017/03/31/1686369/dengue-vaccine-now-available-over-counter

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Davaoeno

As far as I know there is no vaccine against parasites. I couldn't find any on Google either.   I think just keeping clean and being careful what you eat will avoid most parasites.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Davaoeno
2 minutes ago, Kahuna said:

The dengue vaccination, to be taken in three doses at zero - six - 12 months interval, can protect the individual from all four strains of the dengue virus. This can be administered to people aged nine to 45 years old.

I see a couple of problems in there for you !  lol

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Kahuna
1 minute ago, Davaoeno said:

The dengue vaccination, to be taken in three doses at zero - six - 12 months interval, can protect the individual from all four strains of the dengue virus. This can be administered to people aged nine to 45 years old.

I see a couple of problems in there for you !  lol

better take some deet on the trip..   :)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Topper
1 minute ago, Davaoeno said:

The dengue vaccination, to be taken in three doses at zero - six - 12 months interval, can protect the individual from all four strains of the dengue virus. This can be administered to people aged nine to 45 years old.

I see a couple of problems in there for you !  lol

Yes, me too. I can't remember the last time I was too young for something. I sure don't have enough time for all 3 shots plus the $160 it would cost. I'll just have to make sure I have enough OFF with me.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Paul

I am so happy that I don't get bitten by mosquitoes. No chance of contracting Dengue, Malaria, or Japanese Encephalitis.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Topper

Is there a clinic I can go to for other shots?  

Link to post
Share on other sites
Kahuna
14 minutes ago, Topper said:

Is there a clinic I can go to for other shots?  

If you are still in the states call a few pharmacies but you may need a doctor to prescribe them first.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Topper
13 minutes ago, Kahuna said:

If you are still in the states call a few pharmacies but you may need a doctor to prescribe them first.  

They do have a few clinics around, but the cost is rather high for the shots. That's why I was going to wait until I got to the Cebu.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
NOSOCALPINOY

Before retiring in the Philippines, my wife and I got the usual recommended injections from our N. California Kaiser health care provider, but ever since arriving in the Philippines in 1998, we haven't had a single shot of any kind of vaccines for whatever.  

We've lived in the province, city and now in the suburbs, but still we haven't had a single injection of any kind. Just lucky I guess. "Knock on wood".  

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
TequilaSunset
2 hours ago, NOSOCALPINOY said:

Before retiring in the Philippines, my wife and I got the usual recommended injections from our N. California Kaiser health care provider, but ever since arriving in the Philippines in 1998, we haven't had a single shot of any kind of vaccines for whatever.  

We've lived in the province, city and now in the suburbs, but still we haven't had a single injection of any kind. Just lucky I guess. "Knock on wood".  

Nor Cal Kaiser also... I already had a lot of shots in good standing due to my previous medical sales gig, but I got the flu shot and took the pills for skeeters. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..

Capture.JPG

I Understand...