Sign in to follow this  
tonny

Security Message Travel Advisory for Central Visayas

Jim Sibbick

I have posted my list of people who need to fear kidnapping. Nobody seems to agree with it.

So for those who don't agree, please provide details of all kidnappings in the last 10 years of people not on the list so we can see in actual figures what the risks are for "Expats and tourists who treat ALL Filipinos with respect ALL of the time" 

I will start the list The bus of chinese tourist hijacked by a policeman in manila a few years ago. I admit I might have been dead along with the others in that situation. But I am hard pressed to find anything else where the people involved were not on my list.  

Thankyou

Davaoeno
10 minutes ago, Jim Sibbick said:

please provide details of all kidnappings in the last 10 years of people not on the list so we can see in actual figures what the risks are for "Expats and tourists who treat ALL Filipinos with respect ALL of the time" 

I'll get right on that !

• Like 2

RogerDat

If these are coming from the south, how will they know who has money, so stay out of high end places near the beach.

wondersailor

I plan my move to the Philippines in less than a year. My girl is from a small town and i had planed on moving there to enjoy my retirement. On March 8th, 4 local police officers were called to investigate a supposed death. The 4 were ambushed and murdered by the NPA. One of the officers was my girlfriend's cousin. I changed my plans.

Life is cheap in the Philippines. A hard concept to grasp in the west. Violent crimes are seldomly adequately investigated in the Philippines, let alone the guilty punished and, I feel, is a problem that is getting worse. Might just be a cultural thing.

The one thing I know is being mudered, blown up or kidnapped is not on my bucket list.

• Like 4

greatplace

Its on the radio here in Dgte the police are advising all visitors staying at the resorts in Siquijor Island to stay inside the resorts and the resort managers to increase security and patrols.  Looks like something is up

• Like 1

Jim Sibbick

Unsubstantiated just became actual on Bohol. This new action in Bohol changes everything.

However, I don't believe I was getting my message across.

People die every day in car accidents yet who here fears getting in a car and driving to the supermarket to buy the groceries?

What I am trying to say is put it in perspective. people are going to die from time to time from terrorist activities but it the chances of anything happening are so minimal that you would,  normally, have no fear of something happening to you.

Anyway, i am not convincing anyone so I will not bother posting in this thread anymore

Thankyou

• Like 1

oztony

• Like 2

fred42

Nine killed in firefight between govt forces and suspected members of Abu Sayyaf

CEBU CITY—Five suspected members of the Abu Sayyaf Group (ASG), three soldiers and one policeman were reported to have been killed in the ongoing firefight in the mountain village of Napo, Inabanga town, Bohol province.

This was contained in a joint statement issued by Chief Supt. Noli Taliño, head of the Police Regional Office in Central Visayas (PRO-7) and Lieutenant General Oscar Lactao, Commander of the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) Central Command, on Tuesday afternoon.

The statement said the government troopers were also able to recover three M-16 rifles and an M-4 carbine from the ASG members as of 1 p.m. on Tuesday.

(READ: Armed men sighted in Bohol town; Firefight with govt troops ongoing)

Around 10 Muslim-speaking men entered Inabanga town located 71 km form Tagbilaran City on Monday night, through the Inabanga River, said Mayor Josephine Jumamoy in an interview with radio station dyAB based in Cebu City.

Jumamoy said Barangay Napo residents reported the sighting of the armed men to the police who immediately sent a team along with some soldiers to the area.

Exchange of gunfire between the ASG members and responding government troops started around 5:20 a.m and was still ongoing as of 3 p.m.

“At this moment our combined forces are conducting clearing operations to resolve this incident in the soonest possible time,” said the joint statement.

Mayor Jumamoy said they had evacuated over 200 families mostly from Barangays Napo and Ylaya to prevent any civilian from getting hit in the crossfire.

(READ: Residents told to abandon homes amid ongoing firefight)

“On behalf of the combined forces of the AFP and the PNP in the Visayas Region, we want to congratulate our people in Bohol under the able leadership of Governor Edgar Chatto, and all local chief executives down to the municipal and barangay levels, who made a brave stand to defend themselves against the threat of terrorism. The government security forces simply reinforced the vigilance of the Boholanos who organized themselves into a strong force to keep the province safe from any threat group,” said the joint PNP-AFP statement.

The joint statement also commended the heroism of the fallen soldiers and policeman.

“Their heroism will forever be engraved in the hearts of our people. Today’s incident showcases how strong we can be if all stakeholders, the law enforcers, the civilian government and the community, act together,” the statement added.

Read more: http://cebudailynews.inquirer.net/129278/nine-killed-in-firefight-between-govt-forces-and-suspected-members-of-abu-sayyaf#ixzz4dvifybBf 
Follow us: @inquirerdotnet on Twitter | inquirerdotnet on Facebook

Soupeod
I have posted my list of people who need to fear kidnapping. Nobody seems to agree with it.
So for those who don't agree, please provide details of all kidnappings in the last 10 years of people not on the list so we can see in actual figures what the risks are for "Expats and tourists who treat ALL Filipinos with respect ALL of the time" 
I will start the list The bus of chinese tourist hijacked by a policeman in manila a few years ago. I admit I might have been dead along with the others in that situation. But I am hard pressed to find anything else where the people involved were not on my list.  
Thankyou

I posted a list a while ago compiled by some research dude.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bill H
On 4/9/2017 at 7:08 PM, Davaoeno said:

There are [ were actually] a couple of Canadians and a Norwegian at a resort on Samal Island off Davao City  who would probably disagree with you .

If only they were alive that is!

• Like 1

angbumabasa

Here is S. Leyte I'm more worried about the potential bad attitude of the "little people" and my wife's "her time of the month" than I am of any of this crap. I'm old!!!! Oh, have any of you been to Karachi? I have.

• Like 2

Monsoon

This is doing wonders for tourism.

I wonder if they are still running the "It's More Fun" commercial on the travel channel? 

Dafey

What's it doing for the exchange rate? Should be helping us.

sugbu777
13 hours ago, angbumabasa said:

Oh, have any of you been to Karachi?

Many years ago..1979 or 1980. Armpit of the earth.