Sign in to follow this  
tonny

Security Message Travel Advisory for Central Visayas

tonny
U.S. Embassy, Manila, Philippines

Security Message for U.S. Citizens:  Travel Advisory for Central Visayas

April 9, 2017
THE EMBASSY OF THE UNITED STATES IS TRANSMITTING THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION AS A PUBLIC SERVICE TO U.S. CITIZENS IN THE PHILIPPINES.  PLEASE DISSEMINATE THIS MESSAGE TO ALL U.S. CITIZENS IN YOUR ORGANIZATION OR NEIGHBORHOOD.  THANK YOU.

The U.S. Embassy has received unsubstantiated yet credible information that terrorist groups may attempt to conduct kidnappings in Central Visayas, which includes both Cebu and Bohol provinces. U.S. citizens are advised to carefully consider this information as you make your travel plans, and to review personal security plans, avoid large crowds and gatherings, and remain vigilant at all times.

The U.S. Embassy wishes to remind U.S. citizens of the most recent Worldwide Caution, dated March 7, 2017, which indicates there is an ongoing threat of terrorist actions and violence against U.S. citizens and interests abroad, including the Philippines. Extremists have targeted sporting events, theaters, markets, mass transportation systems–including airlines, and other public venues where large crowds gather. Crowded nightclubs, shopping malls, buses and popular restaurants have also been targets. U.S. citizens should be mindful of the importance of taking preventative measures to ensure their safety and security while traveling and residing in the Philippines‎.

TequilaSunset

Well that sucks...

• Like 1

wondersailor

Sad. I would like to see these things improve in the Philippines but, to my eye, they are getting worse.

Jim Sibbick

Again, unsubstantiated!

And this unsubstantiated threat will be repeated by every other country now.

But who do they think are going to be kidnapped anyway?

Yes people get kidnapped. I will not deny that. In my opinion, these are the people who should care about being kidnapped or murdered in the Philippines
- Non Muslims entering the Autonomous Muslim Regions on Mindanao
- Religious nutters who think their god will protect them as they try and convert Muslims to Christianity
- Operators of businesses that adversely affect the lives of local Filipinos. Especially mining businesses.
- Rich Chinese business men
- Indian money lenders
- Any foreigner who mistreats Filipinos whether tourist or full time expat
- Illegal drug users

Expats and tourists who treat ALL Filipinos with respect ALL of the time, shouldn't have a fear of kidnapping

USMC-Retired

Does not mean do not be more vigilant.  Just because it is unsubstantiated does mean that big dog will not bite you.  

11 minutes ago, Jim Sibbick said:

Expats and tourists who treat ALL Filipinos with respect ALL of the time, shouldn't have a fear of kidnapping

That is not true many missionaries have been captured and killed.  They should always worry it could happen.  That way they remain on alert complacency for ones safety will lead to problems.  

We should not approach a warning like this with a dismissive attitude but with a heighten awareness of our sorroundings.  Especially for the casual visitor or first timer.  Full timers understand the areas of concern and actions of concern.  Those are not who the message targets as a primary concern.  

Edited by USMC-Retired
  • Like 6

shadow
45 minutes ago, USMC-Retired said:

That is not true many missionaries have been captured and killed.  

I think that should fall under this category;

56 minutes ago, Jim Sibbick said:

- Religious nutters who think their god will protect them as they try and convert Muslims to Christianity

• Like 4

Jawny

The message for me sends a simple message.  Keep alert to your sense of danger.  The policial politeness of saying it's unsubstantiated is just bureauratic bullshit for "we"re not really sure". 

When I had a child in elementary school, he was taught that use of the marked crosswalks would help protect him.  The usual "look left, look right, look left again" was used (North America) as a way to educate the children.

i supplemented that with a lot of information which differed from that which the schools taught.  In a phrase...."have a sense of danger". In fact, I felt the marked crosswalks were a more likely place to be injured.  Usually at a street corner, so had to watch from many directions.

Contrast that with jaywalking.  Only need to look in two directions and judge speed and distance.  At the crosswalk, trust was given to the drivers.  While jaywalking, no driver could be trusted, so the walker had to be aware and protect himself.

The warning from the embassy will change nothing in my behavior. I just apply common sense and a sense of danger wherever I am.  

These reminders are just a form of job security and "don't blame me". 

• Like 3

Lee

With all the explosives easily available in the Philippines, my guess is there will be a bombing (I hope not), so hard to be alert for something like that, just be aware if we see any packages alone anywhere. 

Hope you all stay safe...

• Like 1

Davaoeno
4 hours ago, Jim Sibbick said:

There are [ were actually] a couple of Canadians and a Norwegian at a resort on Samal Island off Davao City  who would probably disagree with you .

• Like 6

smokey
4 hours ago, Jim Sibbick said:

Again, unsubstantiated!

And this unsubstantiated threat will be repeated by every other country now.

But who do they think are going to be kidnapped anyway?

Yes people get kidnapped. I will not deny that. In my opinion, these are the people who should care about being kidnapped or murdered in the Philippines
- Non Muslims entering the Autonomous Muslim Regions on Mindanao
- Operators of businesses that adversely affect the lives of local Filipinos. Especially mining businesses.
- Rich Chinese business men
- Indian money lenders
- Any foreigner who mistreats Filipinos whether tourist or full time expat
- Illegal drug users

you left out a few ... drunks that make bets with locals and try to collect if they win..... foreigners who under pay a local after the local says.. ITS up to you....  guys who bed down a girl who says she is recently separated and then meet the husband ...anyone who loans an unemployed person a lot of money and expects it to be paid back ... anyone who forces a local to run into their car with the locals bike and then refuses to pay the bill

• Like 3

RogerDat

Rumors have been going around Lapu Lapu since last month about kidnapping children, now the rumor is that it is for organ harvesting, all were said to be just that by PNP here.

Do you think the perps are Muslim, PNP, or Alkida?

Jim Sibbick
19 hours ago, Davaoeno said:

There are [ were actually] a couple of Canadians and a Norwegian at a resort on Samal Island off Davao City  who would probably disagree with you .

Those Canadians were mining executives. None of the group were tourists. In fact there were lots of tourists at the resort and they left them alone.

Edited by Jim Sibbick

oztony
On 10/04/2017 at 8:01 AM, Jim Sibbick said:

Good luck with that .... for someone that has spent a lot of time in country it is a bold statement.

They have raided resorts on Palawan in the past , I really don't think their tentacles care what you are doing in their country , as long as your skin is white you are a target if the opportunity is right.

I believe it is more a case of being in the wrong place at the right time ....and pleases and thankyous aren't going to make any difference. JMO

• Like 3

Tom in Texas
On 4/9/2017 at 0:35 AM, tonny said:

U.S. citizens are advised to carefully consider this information as you make your travel plans, and to review personal security plans, avoid large crowds and gatherings, and remain vigilant at all times.

Lets see now... "travel plans" - trike, jeepney, walk; "security" - stay close to relatives; "avoid large crowds" - only allow 1/2 family at a time to visit; "remain vigilant" - keep a close eye on anyone who looks like a terrorist. 

Great, got all the bases covered. 

• Like 1