Best PH Credit Card? Worth it?

TheWhiteKnight

delancey

The PH credit cards don't come close to the terms of a first world country and offer inferior consumer fraud protection. Same with banks in general here. I might try a CC here someday but haven't  personally found a reason. My opinion, not a bad thing but not worth it.

I did some research last year and citi prestige seems great for the price, if you need free unlimited access to airport lounges with guests. But the protection is very weak even with additional insurance. (not sure if standard VISA/MasterCard protection applies)

Other cards, especially their Amex and Diners Club, completely suck. Those with flight points are also below average. Most local cards don't require much fee or have high requirement for weaving it, as a result the perks (such as BPI's) aren't really useful.

With my new card offering 2.22% rebate rate (-1.5% fee) I no longer see any point of applying for PH card for now. I'm sure you could find cards better than that in your home country as well.

Edited by rep1
  • Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

In years past it was beneficial to have a PH credit card - there were issues using ‘foreign’ cards at certain stores and some PH airline bookings could be a challenge. There were annoying secondary verifications requested when using a foreign card. Also if making a larger purchase at a store it was handy not having to withdraw and carry the cash necessary, since using a foreign card often proved problematic. 

All of those ‘reasons’ are now obsolete for me. No FOREX cards give me a better rate than any money changer will and I’ve not been given the hassles I used to get when using a non-PH card. 

If one were paid in Peso, I guess that would be the only advantage to having a local card anymore. 

PH cards are all horrible. You don’t want to carry a balance. As for rewards, I have significant number of points with my BDO card from past usage and have never bothered to redeem them - I looked into it once and there was more involved than the  the simple point and click I need to redeem points on my other cards so haven’t bothered. 

Of them all BDO would be my preferred card. The one they gave me have dual currency credit lines, PHP and USD. So when abroad everything is charged in USD. I’ve stopped using the card for the most part and they keep raising my limit. 

Also, you probably won’t find a PH credit card that will take care of you while traveling in case of lost or compromised cards. You won’t find one that will deliver you a replacement within 24 hours, thats for sure. Last but not least, I would much rather have US consumer protection laws behind me than PH.

• Like 7
TheWhiteKnight
1 minute ago, Monsoon said:

In years past it was beneficial to have a PH credit card - there were issues using ‘foreign’ cards at certain stores and some PH airline bookings could be a challenge. There were annoying secondary verifications requested when using a foreign card. Also if making a larger purchase at a store it was handy not having to withdraw and carry the cash necessary, since using a foreign card often proved problematic. 

All of those ‘reasons’ are now obsolete for me. No FOREX cards give me a better rate than any money changer will and I’ve not been given the hassles I used to get when using a non-PH card. 

If one were paid in Peso, I guess that would be the only advantage to having a local card anymore. 

PH cards are all horrible. You don’t want to carry a balance. As for rewards, I have significant number of points with my BDO card from past usage and have never bothered to redeem them - I looked into it once and there was more involved than the  the simple point and click I need to redeem points on my other cards so haven’t bothered. 

Of them all BDO would be my preferred card. The one they gave me have dual currency credit lines, PHP and USD. So when abroad everything is charged in USD. I’ve stopped using the card for the most part and they keep raising my limit. 

Also, you probably won’t find a PH credit card that will take care of you while traveling in case of lost or compromised cards. You won’t find one that will deliver you a replacement within 24 hours, thats for sure. Last but not least, I would much rather have US consumer protection laws behind me than PH.

Thanks Monsoon, I had a feeling you would have some experience in this department. I'm paid in dollars and have never had too much trouble using my US cards with no forex fees. Every once in a while I'll have to call and yell at them while at the register but you are right it's been a while.

Also noticed they will still give me the cash price if I pay in a straight payment on my US card.

38 minutes ago, TheWhiteKnight said:

I'll have to call and yell at them while at the register but you are right it's been a while.

I noticed those sending SMS for every transaction never called. Those who don't, sometimes call and sometimes (HSBC) just reject it silently.

Calling cost lots of $$$ BTW.

• Administrator
Salty Dog

I use an Airlines card (US) for as many things as possible. I made 3 round trip business class flights and a one way for two business class when I took my wife to the US. All on frequent flyer miles. Already have enough for round trip when wife goes back to visit. It's an Alaskan Airlines card. Alaska Airlines has affiliation with just about every Airlines, so it's easy to use my miles. I used them on Korean Airlines and Cathay Pacific.

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

• Like 3
TheWhiteKnight
3 hours ago, rep1 said:

I noticed those sending SMS for every transaction never called. Those who don't, sometimes call and sometimes (HSBC) just reject it silently.

Calling cost lots of $$$ BTW.

Magic jack app, or Skype, toll free numbers are toll free. Just need internet connection which thankfully is available often these days.

sugbu777
5 hours ago, Salty Dog said:

It's an Alaskan Airlines card. Alaska Airlines has affiliation with just about every Airlines, so it's easy to use my miles. I used them on Korean Airlines and Cathay Pacific

Thanks. I didn't know that. (Really didn't pay much attention) Gonna have to use my Alaska Airlines(B of A) card more often . I use it so little that I pay off balance every month.

Edited by sugbu777
addition
  • Like 1
fred42

The main benefit we have is that we need to buy a lot of white goods for our business here...We need  local CC`s to avail of the one year 0% interest credit offers.

They are continually offering to up our limit to which we say yes please... Never use it but nice to know its there in case we need extra for health emergencies etc. 

Edited by fred42

They wanted to give me CC when I opened a currency account. But I took a debit card instead.

SkyMan

I can safely say I've never had a situation where a local CC would have done something for me that a US CC would not.

6 hours ago, Salty Dog said:

It's an Alaskan Airlines card.

Any ForEx fees on that one?

• Like 1

Ayala Cinema accepts only local CC. So I have been using it for cash change.

Isn't ForEX fee standardized for all VISA and MasterCard cards? 1.5%?

• Administrator
Salty Dog
7 hours ago, SkyMan said:

Any ForEx fees on that one?

I can't remember because I've been gone now for several years.

It's a BOA Alaskan Airlines Visa.

SkyMan
1 hour ago, Salty Dog said:

I can't remember because I've been gone now for several years.

It's a BOA Alaskan Airlines Visa.

Looked it up and it said no ForEx fees but there is an annual fee.  Offset by a companion ticket so probably worth it if in the US at least fairly often.

1 hour ago, rep1 said:

Isn't ForEX fee standardized for all VISA and MasterCard cards? 1.5%?

My Capitol One Visa and USAA Sig Visa have no Forex fees.  And still get reward points.

• Like 1