• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SkyMan

• fred42

• Headshot

• Davaoeno

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's been slow going because I had a couple small projects mingled in early on but now 2 of those (repair/repaint the rusting areas of the house and garage roofs and build some heavy stock racks in th

Make your neighbor pay for that wall!

I think this wall would make even President Trump proud !!  

Posted Images

Jester
1 hour ago, fred42 said:

Built ours out of 10 years consumption of wine and beer bottles,,2 meters high 200 meters long and cheap as chips!

imageproxy.php?img=&key=64674b45ff2b2516http://i63.tinypic.com/29yh6qf.jpg[/img]

imageproxy.php?img=&key=64674b45ff2b2516http://i64.tinypic.com/4l5z5v.jpg[/img]

imageproxy.php?img=&key=64674b45ff2b2516http://i63.tinypic.com/34f06m8.jpg[/img]

imageproxy.php?img=&key=64674b45ff2b2516http://i64.tinypic.com/2a5ci39.jpg[/img]

Total cost one liver:drink:

• Like 3
fred42
2 hours ago, Jester said:

Total cost one liver:drink:

Only red wine and beer..Liver is good to go!!

Build that wall!!

Edited by fred42
  • Haha 1
  • Administrator
Dafey

Way to recycle @fred42!

Are you saving laundry sachets to roof the house?

• Haha 6
fred42
5 hours ago, Dafey said:

Way to recycle @fred42!

Are you saving laundry sachets to roof the house?

I thought about it but reckon the Suns UV rays would degrade them within 2 years at best..
Old CD`s and DVD`s make pretty cool shingles on a roof though!
FCOQRD7G61AVS67.LARGE.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 4
SkyMan
On 5/21/2019 at 12:39 PM, fred42 said:

I thought about it but reckon the Suns UV rays would degrade them within 2 years at best..
Old CD`s and DVD`s make pretty cool shingles on a roof though!
FCOQRD7G61AVS67.LARGE.jpg

Would look cool for a little while.  They used to plaster those all over the inside of truck windshields and they didn't look so good after a while.

• Like 1
SkyMan

Getting through the hard stuff for a column footing. 

SkyMan

Heading up the slope, the south wall is looking weird. 

20190530_121505-1600x1200.thumb.jpg.06b38dba3c6354bf2b275358b0ef2ff4.jpg

Since we only need to do poured wall for retaining and the old grade is coming up to the new grade, we're transitioning to HB and things are moving faster.  Soon we'll get to where no more poured wall will be needed and we'll switch to doing the north wall.

20190530_121458-1600x1200.thumb.jpg.ea144399ac82599d325e5c5d5c152f9c.jpg

The north wall won't follow the rise but will just stay level with the east wall so get shorter and shorter.  Probably just 4-5 sections. Then back to the south to finish with the HB.

Edited by SkyMan
  • Like 1
  • 7 months later...
SkyMan
Posted (edited)
On 5/30/2019 at 3:06 PM, SkyMan said:

The north wall won't follow the rise but will just stay level with the east wall so get shorter and shorter.  Probably just 4-5 sections. Then back to the south to finish with the HB.

The whole wall is done now save for the rendering.  The north side is still open to my neighbor's place but his back yard is walled/fenced up 8ft or so with lots of barbed wire on top so no hurry.  Last bit of bamboo is the gate and that will go away in the next couple days.

Resizer_15785360168143.jpg.0d9321770c2546e1ec890f8e7c336101.jpg

I did a little playing with Chief Architect to illustrate what's the plan. Here's the current lot.  Ignore the greenery on top of wall at the north and south sides.  That's a bit of elevation data caused by adding the wall.

LotandWall.thumb.png.9110003c105c2ebbb55c7c9d8830eba9.png

And this is what the east side of the lot will look like after backfilling.  That's the actual view so you see some of the actual wall north and south but none of it will be seen from this side when done.

PostBackfill.thumb.png.467cf71f2652902dc866bd03165a968f.png

Edited by SkyMan
Scottiev

That's a LOT of fill. And whats your idea to keep from blowing the wall out ?  A retaining wall that size usually takes anchors set back into the hill. Make sure they fill length wise along the wall and not pushing dirt towards it. Key it into the slope on the hill side of it to help prevent sliding. Lifts of 1 to 1 1/2 ft , water,  and compaction are very important . I have 40 years of moving dirt and have built quite a few retaining walls , that's a big project there.

SkyMan
42 minutes ago, Scottiev said:

That's a LOT of fill. And whats your idea to keep from blowing the wall out ?  A retaining wall that size usually takes anchors set back into the hill. Make sure they fill length wise along the wall and not pushing dirt towards it. Key it into the slope on the hill side of it to help prevent sliding. Lifts of 1 to 1 1/2 ft , water,  and compaction are very important . I have 40 years of moving dirt and have built quite a few retaining walls , that's a big project there.

Most of the fill will be anapog, limestone.  Only the top 2 feet maybe will be the dirt that is there now.  Kind of sweeping the anapog under the rug so to speak.  It's certainly not going to happen overnight and after the anapog gets wet, it hardens like concrete.  I imagine it will go in in layers with multiple rains between the layers.  Also there will be a lot of that space taken up with 'stuff'  like the pool, septic, and probably one or two large cisterns.  I'm thinking the pool will be built on the current grade and then filled around.  Perhaps one day there will be a racketball court in one of the corners.  Who knows?

• Like 1