Noted Air Force Command Chief Master Sergeant Faces 15 UCMJ Charges

• Administrator
Salty Dog

jose-barraza-900-ts600.jpg.45775a325dd5bd9d882d36ef231de0d5.jpg
In a 2014 file photo, U.S. Air Force Command Chief Master Sgt. Jose Barraza, 3rd Wing command chief, speaks to airmen and family members at Eielson Air Force Base, Alaska (PETER REFT/U.S. AIR FORCE)

WASHINGTON -- Former 12th Air Force Command Chief Master Sgt. Jose A. Barraza was charged Thursday with 15 violations of the Uniform Code of Military Justice, according to an Air Force statement.

The Air Force would not specify what generated the charges but said they were tied to Barraza's time as the top enlisted officer at Davis-Monthan Air Force Base in Arizona. The base is home to the Boneyard, where preserved and retired aircraft are stored, and an A-10 fighter jet wing.

Barraza was a noncommissioned officer highlighted as a success story by the Air Force for escaping a rough childhood, according to an article by Airman Magazine. Barraza grew up in south-central Los Angeles. He joined a gang and was shot five times before a judge sentenced him to rehabilitation after Barraza assaulted a rival gang member.

In 1989, he joined the Air Force and specialized in jet engine repair. Barraza calls the day he joined his "Air Force birthday," and credited the decision for changing his life, according to the magazine.

Barraza rose to command chief master sergeant, a position responsible for all of the enlisted personnel in the 12th Air Force, in June 2015. He was removed from duty in November due to "loss of confidence in his ability to carry out his duties," the Air Force said at the time.

Barraza faces one charge for willfully disobeying an order, seven charges for dereliction of duty, two charges for making false official statements and five charges for obstruction of justice.

A hearing on the charges has not been set.

http://www.military.com/daily-news/2017/03/30/noted-air-force-command-chief-master-sergeant-15-ucmj-charges.html

SkyMan

Probably fudged a travel voucher or Leave statement.  Next to sexual harassment that's probably the biggest downfall for AF members.  I knew a Colonel that terminated his leave on a Friday but didn't actually get back in the area until Sunday.  The fact he wasn't there Friday or Saturday had no effect on his work but when found out it ended his career in a hurry.

• Like 3
  • Administrator
Salty Dog
Probably fudged a travel voucher or Leave statement.  Next to sexual harassment that's probably the biggest downfall for AF members.  I knew a Colonel that terminated his leave on a Friday but didn't actually get back in the area until Sunday.  The fact he wasn't there Friday or Saturday had no effect on his work but when found out it ended his career in a hurry.

So. I did that all my career. I would start leave on Monday but left on Friday after work. I would end leave on Friday, but didn't return to work until Monday. In fact I often took 4 days leave during a 3 day holiday weekend and would have 9 days off for just 4 days of leave.

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

• Like 3
SkyMan
5 hours ago, Salty Dog said:

So. I did that all my career. I would start leave on Monday but left on Friday after work. I would end leave on Friday, but didn't return to work until Monday. In fact I often took 4 days leave during a 3 day holiday weekend and would have 9 days off for just 4 days of leave.

Maybe you had different rules but in the AF it depends on when you leave the area and when you return.  Getting caught leaving the area before you were on leave or returning after your leave was over in the AF could cost your career.  Of course, I never really saw a good definition of "in the area" but like some rules like that you were just supposed to know.  They were very serious about it.  They didn't go checking up but you never know when something will happen.  Suppose you're stationed in Denver, start leave on Monday, but are in a traffic accident in Pittsburgh Saturday morning...  Catching you on the return was a little more difficult because you could just say you had car trouble and didn't get back until Sunday but once you signed back from leave that you returned on Friday and there was evidence to the contrary you were in it deep.

I often did the same as far as Mon-Fri leave but never left the area except on the actual leave days.  In fact, I often just came in on Monday morning and filled out the leave slip for Tues-Fri, worked until lunch and didn't come back.  If you worked half a day it didn't count as leave.

USMC-Retired

It was common practice for E-6 and above to do exactly that in the Marine Corps  We would call Saturday morning or Friday night off leave and actually return on Sunday.  

Edited by USMC-Retired
Headshot
17 hours ago, Salty Dog said:

Barraza faces one charge for willfully disobeying an order, seven charges for dereliction of duty, two charges for making false official statements and five charges for obstruction of justice.

It sounds like there was more to it than just a leave voucher problem. Willfully disobeying an order is a pretty serious charge. All of the other charges likely stem from some kind of ongoing abuse. Whereas the charges originated from his service at Davis-Monthan AFB, it is likely that it has something to do with the salvage operation

Soupeod
1 hour ago, Headshot said:

It sounds like there was more to it than just a leave voucher problem. Willfully disobeying an order is a pretty serious charge. All of the other charges likely stem from some kind of ongoing abuse. Whereas the charges originated from his service at Davis-Monthan AFB, it is likely that it has something to do with the salvage operation

Headshot, I missed it, where did you get the idea it was because of a salvage operation?

Headshot
On 4/2/2017 at 0:51 PM, soupeod said:

Headshot, I missed it, where did you get the idea it was because of a salvage operation?

In case you have never been to Davis Monthan in Tucson, Arizona, salvage is their main mission there. It is called the Air Force boneyard. As the senior NCO on the base, he would have had a lot of pull. Guys often get to those kinds of positions by knowing how to play politics ... and part of politics is having a lot of suck. The Air Force isn't giving the specifics in the charges, so mine is just an educated guess given the mission of the base where he was charged,

• Administrator
Salty Dog
In case you have never been to Davis Monthan in Tucson, Arizona...

Who hasn't been to that hotter than hell, God forsaken place...

Headshot

Go there in the winter. You would think you were in Canada. It is cool and full of Canadians.

• Administrator
Salty Dog
1 hour ago, Headshot said:

Go there in the winter. You would think you were in Canada. It is cool and full of Canadians.

It's full of Canadians here in Florida in the winter too...

Headshot
1 hour ago, Salty Dog said:

It's full of Canadians here in Florida in the winter too...

Yeah, you get the Eastern Canadians ... Arizona gets the Western Canadians.

• Like 1
guardsman
17 hours ago, Headshot said:

What's not to like about it, then?

• Like 1
Davaoeno
4 hours ago, guardsman said:

What's not to like about it, then?

I dont want to be too particular, but that should actually read " What's not to like about it, eh ?

• Like 7
  • Admin (Retired)
broden
4 minutes ago, Davaoeno said:

I dont want to be too particular, but that should actually read " What's not to like about it, eh ?

hoser

• Like 2