Sign in to follow this  
TheWhiteKnight

Plan for Coverage Ideas (US Citizen, PH Resident)

TheWhiteKnight

Hey guys. I'm trying to figure out how to be as protected as possible without breaking the bank. I am normal W2 employee in the states but I reside her in the Philippines full time with a yearly visit of a few weeks to the US usually. I am 36 and a SRRV holder, I'm not sure of any actual pre existing conditions but I think I have to disclose my previous treatment for ADHD and GERD. I was recently just using the A+ plan which is reimbursable and 1350 deductible with those conditions excluded of curse. I was getting a 300/month credit from my employer, however now I think I want to:

1. Get back on a  US based group plan where they can't discriminate against my conditions and are more likely to stand behind me (hah)

2. Enroll in a yearly AirAmbulanace plan for about $600 a year. They will transport your back to any hospital in the USA (and back too I guess). Not medically necessary just need to be medically stable to fly.

3. Enroll in local plan for SEA coverage only. I was thinking about Pacific Cross Select w/ Access (PRIVATE) - this provides for coverage with direct billing (at accredited providers) for P32,698/$652 a year. There should be no dying in the ER with this card as it should be enough to get admitted, and should cover me enough to get my on a flight to the US if really necessary. There is also the BLUE ROYALE plan but I don't see where on that plan where they do direct billing though BM "SENSELESS" has indicated that they do.

Any comments, and what do you guys suggest for #3 options?

billy
4 minutes ago, TheWhiteKnight said:

Hey guys. I'm trying to figure out how to be as protected as possible without breaking the bank. I am normal W2 employee in the states but I reside her in the Philippines full time with a yearly visit of a few weeks to the US usually. I am 36 and a SRRV holder, I'm not sure of any actual pre existing conditions but I think I have to disclose my previous treatment for ADHD and GERD. I was recently just using the A+ plan which is reimbursable and 1350 deductible with those conditions excluded of curse. I was getting a 300/month credit from my employer, however now I think I want to:

1. Get back on a  US based group plan where they can't discriminate against my conditions and are more likely to stand behind me (hah)

2. Enroll in a yearly AirAmbulanace plan for about $600 a year. They will transport your back to any hospital in the USA (and back too I guess). Not medically necessary just need to be medically stable to fly.

3. Enroll in local plan for SEA coverage only. I was thinking about Pacific Cross Select w/ Access (PRIVATE) - this provides for coverage with direct billing (at accredited providers) for P32,698/$652 a year. There should be no dying in the ER with this card as it should be enough to get admitted, and should cover me enough to get my on a flight to the US if really necessary. There is also the BLUE ROYALE plan but I don't see where on that plan where they do direct billing though BM "SENSELESS" has indicated that they do.

Hey don't discount A+ there a good insurance company I have to hem and also had a claim they paid no problem. One caveat they took about 5-7% in exchange fees. 

TheWhiteKnight
20 minutes ago, billy said:

Hey don't discount A+ there a good insurance company I have to hem and also had a claim they paid no problem. One caveat they took about 5-7% in exchange fees. 

I have them and I called them once, and they were useless, but don't have any claims. However I'm more interested in real coverage not reimbursement. Don't really like the 1350 deductible, makes me not use it at all.  It maybe still be my option for now we will see.

Edited by TheWhiteKnight

Jawny

When you refer to a US based insurance, I assume you mean an insurance plan that will cover you inside the USA?  You may want to check to be sure your residency is not a factor for the coverage.  Probably not an issue, but worth checking to be certain.

I would have concerns about getting some sort of air ambulance insurance.  From your description,this would be used in conjunction with a US based insurance? Sounds pretty extreme, since aircraft used for such an evacuation would be a pretty expensive flight.  That is, equipped to provide the necessary medical care in flight. Also, if the care is provided, why would a return flight be included?  Just my thoughts, I have no experience with this.

I do know of a fellow who used a helicopter to be flown from Leyte to Cebu for some medical care using a nearby helicopter.  It was a copter used by the local electrical utility and the guys doctor was able to get the flight for him.  Cost was ₽130,000 one way.

GERD is a pretty common ailment.  I know it could be connected to some ailments later such as cancer.  I suppose some insurance company can connect it to a reason to deny coverage.  However, some policies have a waiting period for ore existing coverage, not an outright denial. 

TheWhiteKnight
1 minute ago, Jawny said:

When you refer to a US based insurance, I assume you mean an insurance plan that will cover you inside the USA?  You may want to check to be sure your residency is not a factor for the coverage.  Probably not an issue, but worth checking to be certain.

I would have concerns about getting some sort of air ambulance insurance.  From your description,this would be used in conjunction with a US based insurance? Sounds pretty extreme, since aircraft used for such an evacuation would be a pretty expensive flight.  That is, equipped to provide the necessary medical care in flight. Also, if the care is provided, why would a return flight be included?  Just my thoughts, I have no experience with this.

I do know of a fellow who used a helicopter to be flown from Leyte to Cebu for some medical care using a nearby helicopter.  It was a copter used by the local electrical utility and the guys doctor was able to get the flight for him.  Cost was ₽130,000 one way.

GERD is a pretty common ailment.  I know it could be connected to some ailments later such as cancer.  I suppose some insurance company can connect it to a reason to deny coverage.  However, some policies have a waiting period for ore existing coverage, not an outright denial. 

1. Yes, I need to make sure residence is not a problem, I think it wont be so long as I show up in the USA.

2. These are dedicated plans specifically for medical transport with few exceptions. I didn't know they existed either. But they look very promising. Yes evacuation from Asia can cost US130K plus. That's why a separate plan that doesn't rely on the insurance company is best. https://www.airambulancecard.com/

https://medjetassist.com/

etc.

3. I hear ya on Gerd but all the garbage plans here don't seem to cover you ever for anything existing, and I am pretty concerned about the side effects of GERD down the road. Think a US plan might still be my best option if something were to happen.

angbumabasa
7 minutes ago, Jawny said:

Excellent post. While my insurance is very good, but It did not cover ambulances and the necessary "traveling nurses" for the the ambulances nor the ferry expenses to get me from/from Maasin and Cebu and the ambulances there. I had to go to and from Cebu on my own ticket and I'm incompetent due to medication and my wife was going crazy.

TheWhiteKnight
1 hour ago, TheWhiteKnight said:

One thing I don't like abut the Pacific Cross is no coverage for STD's...

Jawny
12 minutes ago, TheWhiteKnight said:

1. Yes, I need to make sure residence is not a problem, I think it wont be so long as I show up in the USA.

2. These are dedicated plans specifically for medical transport with few exceptions. I didn't know they existed either. But they look very promising. Yes evacuation from Asia can cost US130K plus. That's why a separate plan that doesn't rely on the insurance company is best. https://www.airambulancecard.com/

https://medjetassist.com/

etc.

3. I hear ya on Gerd but all the garbage plans here don't seem to cover you ever for anything existing, and I am pretty concerned about the side effects of GERD down the road. Think a US plan might still be my best option if something were to happen.

I had the impression that insurance companies here would have a waiting period for preexisting  conditions, not an outright failure to cover. At least the "no garbage"policies.

at the extreme, I suppose an insurance company could refuse to cover a pre existing condition if your family had a history of some ailment (hypertension, cancer etc). 

I have a US based coverage but it covers me while living here.  It is an employer plan so not available to enrollment. 

Even so, I have no intention of returning to the USA for medical care.  I have confidence that I can get Care here, though may have to seek out speciality care etc.  

TheWhiteKnight
Just now, Jawny said:

I had the impression that insurance companies here would have a waiting period for preexisting  conditions, not an outright failure to cover. At least the "no garbage"policies.

at the extreme, I suppose an insurance company could refuse to cover a pre existing condition if your family had a history of some ailment (hypertension, cancer etc). 

I have a US based coverage but it covers me while living here.  It is an employer plan so not available to enrollment. 

Even so, I have no intention of returning to the USA for medical care.  I have confidence that I can get Care here, though may have to seek out speciality care etc.  

You have a great plan. I would be fine if I had such a plan.

I think your experience might be based on US based coverage were if you are with and employer or any plan in the US now that , pre existing conditions can't be blocked, simple waiting periods. These individual plans in Asia are not so forgiving. That is why healthcare re-form is so important in the US.

TheWhiteKnight

I'm not doing this so that I could surely seek out medical care in the states, only so that I'm fully covered in a jurisdiction I could hopefully trust (the US) and sue if need be, who can't exclude any conditions. I haven't seen the details but I think the plans available to me will not offer coverage outside of the USA. So I will need something to cover me, and transport me to the USA if the worst case happens.  Also I guess I can make use of the benefits once a a year when I visit.

Jawny
39 minutes ago, TheWhiteKnight said:

I'm not doing this so that I could surely seek out medical care in the states, only so that I'm fully covered in a jurisdiction I could hopefully trust (the US) and sue if need be, who can't exclude any conditions. I haven't seen the details but I think the plans available to me will not offer coverage outside of the USA. So I will need something to cover me, and transport me to the USA if the worst case happens.  Also I guess I can make use of the benefits once a a year when I visit.

Since you're asking opinions,,,,,, I really feel your taking some unecessary risks buying insurance for USA coverage and relying upon some sort of evacuation to get you to the care you need/desire.  This sounds more like someone who has chosen to live on a remote tropical island and wants a plan B if he gets appendicitis.

There is a wide range of medical issues you can develop over your lifetime.  Sorry if this sounds preachy, as I'm not trying to do so.  However, you indicated you're young and have only a couple of medical issues that concerned you (GERD and ADHD). You have a lot of years yet to develop a whole new set of medical concerns, some of your making, others from your genetic makeup.

Your query suggests you intend to live here for the foreseeable future.  Why not accept the conditions of living here, to include the medical care offered?  I know there are loads of stories to describe the incompetence and such here.  However, there are also millions of Filipinos who rely upon this medical care to enhance their lives.  The medical schools here are producing doctors with the same desire to help people and earn a good living.  One of my children is on that track, in college now.

My advice is to seek out insurance that gives you peace of mind for care provided here.  

• Like 1

TheWhiteKnight
34 minutes ago, Jawny said:

Since you're asking opinions,,,,,, I really feel your taking some unecessary risks buying insurance for USA coverage and relying upon some sort of evacuation to get you to the care you need/desire.  This sounds more like someone who has chosen to live on a remote tropical island and wants a plan B if he gets appendicitis.

There is a wide range of medical issues you can develop over your lifetime.  Sorry if this sounds preachy, as I'm not trying to do so.  However, you indicated you're young and have only a couple of medical issues that concerned you (GERD and ADHD). You have a lot of years yet to develop a whole new set of medical concerns, some of your making, others from your genetic makeup.

Your query suggests you intend to live here for the foreseeable future.  Why not accept the conditions of living here, to include the medical care offered?  I know there are loads of stories to describe the incompetence and such here.  However, there are also millions of Filipinos who rely upon this medical care to enhance their lives.  The medical schools here are producing doctors with the same desire to help people and earn a good living.  One of my children is on that track, in college now.

My advice is to seek out insurance that gives you peace of mind for care provided here.  

Fair enough, and I don't really hate the doctors here or anything. However, the best plan in the Philippines is that Blue Royal from Pacific Cross and Monsoon just recently told us about how it totally failed him and how he could not trust his life to a PH insurer. It's not about the care its about the coverage. The more I read your reply, I realize I've may have been giving the wrong impression, I'm not really afraid of the coverage here. It's just that if I'm stuck with this US plan that I offer, I only want a plan to hold me over until I can make it back to the US to use my coverage, it's just a bonus that the care is probably better.

My plan I'm proposing is keeping my insurance coverage in the states (and foregoing the 300/month credit from my employer), and you are right there are a whole host of conditions that I may come down with as I age, that's even more of the reason I want to be covered by a US plan.

In addition to that I'm proposing to also purchase a local plan for which I don't know if I could trust, but maybe trust enough to get me well enough to get back to the US for remaining treatment.

I suppose your real point could be that I'm wasting the money the air transport coverage though, perhaps.

LATEST OPTION: I can still take the $300/month and try to find a good individual plan from a US company with coverage worldwide. I just tried this though and was shocked to find out that you can only buy insurance between Nov 1 and Jan 31st of each year, wtf. So I can't even explore that I guess for a while.

Edited by TheWhiteKnight

NOSOCALPINOY

Retired neighbor/friends of ours lives here permanently and they still kept their U.S. Medical Health Plan through Kaiser, but have to pay cash up front and file a reimbursement after all was said and done.