Jeepney Travel

Jim Sibbick
Is there such a thing as a Jeepney that will accommodate a guy who's 6'2"? :rolleyes:

Yes, traditional jeepneys have that sort of head room as they are copied from the US troop carriers left over after the second world war.

So, avoid the the new style jeepneys based on multicabs.

Otherwise, try and get a seat in the front next to the driver.

Regards; Jim

Vince Runza
Yes, traditional jeepneys have that sort of head room as they are copied from the US troop carriers left over after the second world war.

So, avoid the the new style jeepneys based on multicabs.

Otherwise, try and get a seat in the front next to the driver.

I used to like riding in the front of the cab in NYC -- less chance of getting car-sick if the driver weaved in and out of traffic.

tigerllc74

I heard Jeepneys operate within predetermined route . How does a person find out the routing information ??

Any experiences with tricycle over Jeepney??

It seems tricycle may be cheaper and more flexible than jeepney for short distances..1-2 km.

Bob Ward
I heard Jeepneys operate within predetermined route . How does a person find out the routing information ??

It seems tricycle may be cheaper and more flexible than jeepney for short distances..1-2 km.

There was a more detailed list but Mark has the site up for sale and it's offline.

http://www.wayblima.com/cebu-jeepneys-routes.html

Tricycles are an option, but you better know the ins and outs. Jeepneys operate on a set fare, but as a Kano, you better know the fare.. Same with trikes, but they will deviate and be more flexible as you mention. BUT, their fares are based on multiple riders. So if you hire one private, you will/should pay for 5 passengers at normal fare.

BTW, basic jeepney, and therefore trike fares, just went down to P6.50.

Edited by Bob Ward
villagerNo8
Only if folded in half :D

I'm 6ft and I have to bend my head or slouch. But I have ridden a few where I didn't have to (rare).

im 6ft 6 and i barely managed to squeeze into a multi-cab and they are a hell of a lot smaller then jeepneys.. i was impressed with my flexibility..... the locals thought it was quite funny seein my legs around my ears and everyone who got on or off basically had to climb over me... it can be done tho if you want/need to get somewhere cheaply...

Alan S

Despite the size problem, (I always hit my head on the roof) everyone should ride in jeepneys at least once, for the experience.

Does anyone remember the old TV show with Eddie Albert..."Green Acres", when I get into (or attempt to get out of) any trike here, or squeeze into the overcrowded jeepney I cannot help but think of that show. I do not think I have found a jeepney driver that truly understands the finesse of correct clutch/brake usage. So many riders getting "snapped" around. I do understand the great importance of ingenuity in average Philippine life, I fail to understand just stopping at barely sufficient transportation and never attempting for meaningful design improvement or comfort. Trikes are "heck" to get out of, and if you have any height, you sit like "Lurch" while riding. I think that perhaps they were initially devised as a means of transporting headless bodies somewhere.

So now the question is...is the danger really the person with the knife, or gun...or the one with the foot on the clutch!?!

Edited by dave
Englishman_on_Tour

From my own experience, trikes are limited to there own areas (barangays?) in Cebu, presumedly for safety reasons. I did however manage to get a bicycle (forget what they're called now) from Colon going up Jones Ave one night, I felt so sorry for his effort it worked out more expensive than a jeepney. I'd never do this before 1am or after 5am though :D

Bob Ward
From my own experience, trikes are limited to there own areas (barangays?) in Cebu, presumedly for safety reasons. I did however manage to get a bicycle (forget what they're called now) from Colon going up Jones Ave one night, I felt so sorry for his effort it worked out more expensive than a jeepney. I'd never do this before 1am or after 5am though :D

They are called tricykads and yes, late at night when no jeepneys are running they will go longer distances for a reasonable fee. Yes the trikes are limited as their licenses are issued by the barangay most of the time. They will stretch it a bit here and there for the right price though. The average tricykad fare is P5, but they vary for shorter or longer distances in some areas.

You want to talk about working. I often take a tricykad from Country mall to San Antonio Village and it's all up hill. I always give them more than the going rate as they work so hard.

Englishman_on_Tour
You want to talk about working. I often take a tricykad from Country mall to San Antonio Village and it's all up hill. I always give them more than the going rate as they work so hard.

To be fair, those lads do work for their money and I certainly dont mind tipping. This from the original kuripot :D

Edited by Englishman_on_Tour
breakfast
Is there such a thing as a Jeepney that will accommodate a guy who's 6'2"? :bump:

depends on how crazy he looks and whether he's wearing a beaver suit :D

Another tactic to look out for is the scoot-over team, which could involve two or three guys. They will hop on the jeepney together but will aim for different spots to sit. While one guy is trying to get people to scoot over so he can fit in, the other guys are going down the line for open spaces. They will hit people who are not paying attention because of the distraction of having to accommodate the one guy wanting to squeeze in.

I lost cash out of a zipped hidden pocket that way.

I usually don't ride unless my wife and I are together, and we try to sit right inside the door, and she will stick to my wallet side.

Do not bring cellphones (or hide it well) and jewelries...hold uppers and snatchers are after these. They wont bother about wallets unless you give it. ;)

Caveat Emptor
Another tactic to look out for is the scoot-over team, which could involve two or three guys. They will hop on the jeepney together but will aim for different spots to sit. While one guy is trying to get people to scoot over so he can fit in, the other guys are going down the line for open spaces. They will hit people who are not paying attention because of the distraction of having to accommodate the one guy wanting to squeeze in.

I lost cash out of a zipped hidden pocket that way.

I usually don't ride unless my wife and I are together, and we try to sit right inside the door, and she will stick to my wallet side.

Similarly, pickpockets and snatchers usually come in three. The two will sit inside the jeep and the third person will be on the door of the jeep blocking the exit of the passengers. He serves as the look out for targets who either inattentive of their belongings or busy chatting with other passengers. The third person will pay his fare to disguise himself as a paying passenger. The two will pick pockets or slash the bag of the unsuspecting passenger with a dissecting knife (commonly used by medical students when dissecting frogs. It is very sharp, handy and can be easily concealed) while he is handing his fare to the driver. This is a first hand experience I had when I was still a student in Manila. This could be happening in Cebu and you may have never seen it yet. ;)