Manila grass?

softtouch

softtouch

Does anybody know where I can find manila grass here in Cebu? They all have blue grass, bermuda grass, frog grass (ugly), but I cant find manila grass, even it should be common...

Headshot

What is it? Do you have a picture? There are a lot of different names for the same grass here, so maybe it is known by another name here.

Davaoeno
15 minutes ago, Headshot said:

What is it?

carabao grass ?

softtouch

The name is Zoysia matrella, other names are Manila grass, Korean grass. This is NOT carabao or frog grass, nor is it blue grass or bermuda grass.

Zoysia_matrella_at_Peradeniya_Botanical_Garden.jpg

RogerDuMond
5 hours ago, softtouch said:

Does anybody know where I can find manila grass here in Cebu? They all have blue grass, bermuda grass, frog grass (ugly), but I cant find manila grass, even it should be common...

What is the intended purpose for it?

ugly american

You need to get it before the rainy season............Hard to keep lit when wet.

softtouch
8 hours ago, RogerDuMond said:

What is the intended purpose for it?

Its for my lawn. It grows fast, is soft and dense, which is important for a grass where kids play on.

Jawny

Ive used carabao grass and it has held up nicely with little care needed.  Durable and in my case, free.  Just dig up and plant in small patches.  In Leyte there is an agricultural college which may have grasses for sale from nearby vendors, but there is transport costs and such.  You might find exactly the grass you want there.  It is Visayas Stare University in Baybay city. 

• Like 1
SomeRandomGuy

damn it, another one of those false advertising headlines 

• Like 4
samatm
16 minutes ago, SomeRandomGuy said:

damn it, another one of those false advertising headlines 

click bait for sure

ASk at the golf courses - they have different grass type for different purpose. Never get seeds...always grass mats..seeds will not work.

softtouch
2 minutes ago, Cgu said:

ASk at the golf courses - they have different grass type for different purpose. Never get seeds...always grass mats..seeds will not work.

Thanks, thats a good idea!

• 4 years later...

I wonder if this guy had any luck finding and growing...

I am trying to find Manila Grass (Zoysia) and it seems to be quite difficult. 

I am also thinking a mix of tall fescue grass and bermuda grass might work. 

I am thinking of just making a large area where people can play soccer or something. 

I have learned that trying to farm here in Ormoc is quite difficult (the insects are wild) and I am not sure it is worth it. It seems as if everything would need to be screened (covered with some type of insect screen) to have success. 

It seems like others have realized this so they just plant rice...... lol. Or they grow coconut, banana, or mango trees.