why so few Filipino restaurants

udonthani

as it happens she's an American citizen that happens to be a Muslim

Just like the new American president. Maybe his sister?

Kidden aside, I wasn't aware that your first wife was a Muslim, but maybe she converted after she met you, God only knows how twisted your female acquaintance circle is.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• udonthani

• ckfm

• Alan S

• Bob Ward

Top Posters In This Topic

Bob Ward
Just in the interest of spelling and pronunciation here in Cebu the Spanish style spelling would be "Carenderia" or Cebuano "Karindirya"

While we know that there are many spellings for words depending upon the dialect/region, coupled with the misspelling of words which is so common here, I have never seen that spelling used here in Cebu. Carenderia or Karenderya seem to be most prevalent with the latter spelling being the only one listed in the online dictionaries.

Karindirya is however listed in a Bisaya/Cebuano dictionary published in 1972 by Cornel University.

It's really hard to find the single most correct spelling/pronunciations for some words here at times. Can be frustrating.

In the city i come from in Oz (pop 90,000) we have 3 Filipino restaurants and about 6 or 7 stalls at the local beach market. The dishes at the restaurants, i must admit, are slightly different to what i've eaten here so far. But in a good way. The owners soon learnt that Aussies love their veggies and so changed their menus accordingly. I must say it was a lot better eating Filipino dishes with tender meat and loads of fresh veggies.

USMC-Retired

Has any body really thought that Filipino food is a melting pot of flavors for many cultures. There are very few traditional dishes that one would appeal to the western tastes and that are just enough to fill a menu. Additionally most these items that are on the menu cross over to other restaurants. So it is hard to find a nitch that will be a Filipino staple that is a craving. I live here and do not find me saying hun make that ??????.

Filipino food I have found to be either salty, sweet, bland or fatty.

To be honest, I like Filipino beef steak much better than a T-bone steak.

Bob Ward
To be honest, I like Filipino beef steak much better than a T-bone steak.

That's it. You can insult nationalities, income levels, races, idiots and people in general. But when you go an insult a T-bone steak like that I draw the line. You are banned. :rolleyes::D :D :D :D :D :D :D

That's it. You can insult nationalities, income levels, races, idiots and people in general. But when you go an insult a T-bone steak like that I draw the line. You are banned. :rolleyes::D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Yeah, I knew it would come. I outed myself. Still better than having a stomach twist all night long from a 12 Ouncer ( which then would have to be flushed with a long neck Tanduay, and we all know where that leads to, ...)

Edited by scianna54

In HK, I have yet to find a proper Filipino restaurant. The only places I have stumbled across (literally) that comes close are two places in Wan Chai. They serve Filipino dishes along with American, Thai and Indonesian. There are a couple of small little "hole in the wall" places that you can buy Filipino street food, but no proper (i.e. sit down, table, only traditional Filipino dishes) restaurant that I have found. If anyone knows of any, let me know.

There are plenty of Indian, Japanese, Thai, Korean, Vietnamese even a couple Indonesian. Very strange, but given the comments here, not surprising since a restaurant is going to HAVE to appeal to Foreigners more then Filipinos here in HK. Most Filipino's here could not afford to eat in a restaurant catering to businessmen or family dining.

By the way, I know there is a Jollibee in Central, but that doesn't count, being just a filipino style McDO.

Also, when it comes to eating out, I steer clear of American or Western style restaurants in HK, unless they are High End (which means only occasionally visited by me, due to cost). For regular eating I go to Thai, Korean Vietnamese, Schezuan, Indian and Indonesian whenever possible. Don't much like Cantonese, too bland. I need spices and peppers and greens.

Those same types of restaurants (Thai, Korean, Chinese, etc.) in the Philippines are not so good...some down right bad.

Best place for eating is at home...my honey ko is a good cook and so am I. Lami!

A_Simple_Man
. . . would anybody care to offer an explanation as to why there seem to hardly any ('Filipino') restaurants . . . . in London . .

After reading this thread . . . .

Rare bird thought to be extinct found in Philippines . . . But neither the local crew nor the bird-trappers at the time of the filming understood how rare the bird was, so it was sold at a poultry market, then cooked and eaten.

I'd say its hard to find supplies to stock a filipino restaurant.

Alan S

There is one of THE best Filipino restaurants, right in the middle of Amsterdam.

Not a location where one would expect it, but there it is.

One of the problems with establishing a Filipino restaurant (in the UK) is that few potential customers have been to the Philippines, whereas many tourists go to Thailand, and aquire a taste for the food.

Bet_Busta
In HK, I have yet to find a proper Filipino restaurant. The only places I have stumbled across (literally) that comes close are two places in Wan Chai. They serve Filipino dishes along with American, Thai and Indonesian. There are a couple of small little "hole in the wall" places that you can buy Filipino street food, but no proper (i.e. sit down, table, only traditional Filipino dishes) restaurant that I have found. If anyone knows of any, let me know.

Mabuhay Restaurant

Kowloon Central

Tsim Sha Tsui

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

11 Minden Avenue

Hong Kong -

China

Phone 2367-3762

Fax

eMail

If I remember it right, from Nathan Road, go to Mody then there's a small road on the right.

udonthani

I know there is a Jollibee in Central, but that doesn't count, being just a filipino style McDO.

I wonder what are the limits of Tony Tan's tentacles in today's climate. Recession nothwithstanding, who's next now that KL and Brunei have succumbed. Singapore, or Taipei?

samatm

Patio Filipino - San Bruno, CA USA.

I've eatn at several Pinoy restos in the US and most were just OK lang.. Good if you or your sweetie is really craving some Sinigang or Bangus etc.. but nothing really to write home about ...usually the presentation was geared down and buffet line oriented.etc.....BUT

I did have the Chance to eat at Patio Filipino ..in San Bruno CA not far from SFO on the occasion of my wife's Bday (and my Bro's). WE double dated with he and his wife (both well travelled native white Californians ). This place is special and classy. Excellent Food and Ambiance and very very courteous staff and mangement. The place was hoppin', even on a weekday evening and priced very moderately. If you want a classy and YUMMMMMY place check out Patio Filipino. If more places were like this one...im sure Pinoy cusine would gain more ground around the world. Bro and Sis n law ...loved it! they had never tasted such seasons and treats before and were quite impressed... Check out the link to the place: http://patiofilipino.com/

Edited by samatm
udonthani

if I had to place a bet on it, I would expect some of the best Filipino food in the world to be served up in California.

having said that, the worst Thai meal I have attempted to eat in my life was dished up in a restaurant in the Mission. It's the only time I've ever refused to pay to pay for a meal and walked out.

Mabuhay Restaurant

Kowloon Central

Tsim Sha Tsui

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

11 Minden Avenue

Hong Kong -

China

Phone 2367-3762

Fax

eMail

If I remember it right, from Nathan Road, go to Mody then there's a small road on the right.

Muchos Gracias and Salamat Po.

Found that on http://www.asiabynight.net/shownightspot.asp?ref=1ENEI

Tried calling and got a fax. Will see if they really are there.