why so few Filipino restaurants

udonthani

udonthani

http://www.london-eating.co.uk/

London-eating.com is a website dedicated to eating out in London. Here is the number of listings there for various types of East Asian cuisine :

Chinese - 382

Thai - 296

Japanese - 236

Vietnamese - 37

Korean - 31

Malaysia - 26

Indonesian - 3

Burmese - 2

Mongolian - 1

Filipino - 1

on a per capita basis, i.e. the number of restaurants in London of a particular cuisine, compared to the population of that country, the Philippines is the least well represented of any of these countries. Thailand is the most.

would anybody care to offer an explanation as to why there seem to hardly any restaurants representing the cusine of one of the largest nations in the South East Asian region in one of the world's more significant cities? Why does there appear to be 37 times more Vietnamese restaurants in London than Filipino ones, despite the nations having a similar population?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• udonthani

• ckfm

• Bob Ward

• bret

Top Posters In This Topic

Indonesia has 10 x the population as the Philippines and only 3 restaurants.

Could ask the same question.

Going out for dinuguan, dried fish, and a side of plain white rice all eaten with your fingers doesn't appeal to most westerners?

Markham

Since there are no restaurants serving English cuisine in Cebu, I'd say Philippines 1, England 0!

udonthani
Since there are no restaurants serving English cuisine in Cebu, I'd say Philippines 1, England 0!

Indonesia has 10 x the population as the Philippines

FAIL.

Philippines 96,061,680 (July 2008 est.)

Indonesia 237,512,352 (July 2008 est.)

source : CIA world factbook

can't say I'm surprised at the woeful ignorance like this when it comes to other countries in the region, especially as Indonesia is one of the Philippines closest neighbours. It seems to be sadly commonplace among Filipinos and foreign residents alike, except the Asian ones who you would normally expect to have some idea of basic first-base facts like that.

Indonesia has 10 x the population as the Philippines

FAIL.

Philippines 96,061,680 (July 2008 est.)

Indonesia 237,512,352 (July 2008 est.)

source : CIA world factbook

can't say I'm surprised at the woeful ignorance like this when it comes to other countries in the region, especially as Indonesia is one of the Philippines closest neighbours. It seems to be sadly commonplace among Filipinos and foreign residents alike, except the Asian ones who you would normally expect to have some idea of basic first-base facts like that.

There you go.

Even the CIA can be wrong.

B)

udonthani

seeing as I happen to know somebody who works in New York for the UN, as a statistician no less, and who tells me that she regards the CIA statistics as being usually more reliable anbd accurate than the organisation's she works for are, I think I'd sooner believe what she says rather than some wacko that hasn't got the first clue.

besides you can find any number of other sources that will give you pretty much the exact same figures.

Alan S

I have eaten in at least three Filipino restaurants in London, although, to be fair, I dont know if all are still operating.

But, if they are, the statistics based upon the originally-quoted website may not be accurate.

(I also came across one in Wales, one in Cornwall, and several hotels/restaurants that had Filipino dishes around the Bristol/sth Wales area. I gather all bought them in fresh daily from a Filipino-owned catering company.)

udonthani

I have eaten in at least three Filipino restaurants in London, although, to be fair, I dont know if all are still operating.

But, if they are, the statistics based upon the originally-quoted website may not be accurate.

I agree, I was going to insert some words to that effect in the post, if you notice I only wrote that it would 'seem' there is only one Filipino restaurant. I would think that there must be more than one Filipino eatery in London, but I also think there must be more than 3 Indonesian ones. If they're undercounting the few Filipino ones, they could just as easily be undercounting the others as well. Simple fact is that somebody can live in a large western city all their lives and never see a single Filipino restaurant or ever get any idea as to what Filipine cuisine is.

seeing as I happen to know somebody who works in New York for the UN, as a statistician no less, and who tells me that she regards the CIA statistics as being usually more reliable anbd accurate than the organisation's she works for are, I think I'd sooner believe what she says rather than some wacko that hasn't got the first clue.

besides you can find any number of other sources that will give you pretty much the exact same figures.

I didn't know that they employ Thai bar girls and bayots at the UN now.

udonthani

as it happens she's an American citizen that happens to be a Muslim and who like most American Muslims is better educated and earns more then Americans on average do.

there. I bet that's another little fact you didn't know.

Ok, lets see the CIA statistics on Filipino Restaurants in Londen then. B)

Well anyway, my guess is that the Filipino cuisine is not nearly as en vogue as the Thai.

Of course the problem is, the Filipino cuisine is also not so good. But its not actually bad either, there are some very tasty dishes and a talented cook could surely collect and/or adopt the best of the Filipino Recipes and have a really good restaurant based on that. Still he'd have an image problem though.

The best Filipino food I ever had was in the Lami-Ah on Mactan. To bad it burned down and was never reopened. But they had traditional recipes made somewhat more yummy than what the average restaurant there will cook. And not even expensive.

udonthani

don't get me wrong I quite like the food in the Philippines, though I have to say that I am definitely not one of life's gourmets. I never eat Jollibee, Mcdonalds, or any kind of western food in the Philippines or anwhere else in Asia, except - sometimes - for breakfast. I must admit though that when I did go to Thailand after 85 days in the Philippines I was dying to get my hands on some Thai food - proper Thai food, not the garbage they serve up in that crappy place in the SM mall and charge 150 pesos for a main course that in Thailand would cost half that and be twice as good.

one problem with food in the Philippines seems to me the general lack of salads and green vegetables at your usual sort of canaderias. There's just not that much of it. Salads are on of the integral components of Thai food, but in the Philippines you don't come across them so much. In the Philippines I found I had to buy bits of fruit and vegeables from stalls to top up from my usual fare at the canaderias, like taking vitamin supplements or something.

the food is not bad, the trouble is it's up against some of the very best cusines in the world in the neighbouring countries. Polish or Czech or German food is not so bad either - it's

just that few people would prefer it to Italian.

KeithAngel

Just in the interest of spelling and pronunciation here in Cebu the Spanish style spelling would be "Carenderia" or Cebuano "Karindirya" and whilst I to find most of them to bland I would recommend the R&R next to the Crown Regency in V Rama (joint owned by a guy from Singapore) which has a wide range of generally good food is 24/7 and the beer is both cold and cheap at 32 piso for a SM light B)

Doppelgganger

Usually Filipinos aren't big with small businesses, they usually just have professional or skill/low skill jobs to earn money or other investment was e.g. real estate. Restaurants are so hard to run. Food service is messy also.

Plus there are stereotypes of us Filipinos that most people outside the world consider us (with little knowledge or analytical thought) as offspring of 'western culture'...so if they want to indulge themselves in the feeling of cultural euphoria ("wow you ate an exotic dish, you must be progressive!"), they'd go to the those who they think will satisfy it.

People know little of Filipinos, and what they know it's generalized and assumed. As much as Filipinos are spread all over the world, there are so many people who do not understand it, because they generalized information about us is enough for some people to know. That is why in America Filipinos are known as the 'invisible minority'.

Plus Filipino food isn't exotic enough, Its too basic for most tourists & they want spices, more veggies, color, etc. which is why other asian cuisines get more attention. like look at thai food. it has all the elements ive mentioned thus its following is so much more huge than filipino cuisine.

To become famous, you must have real talent. And for cuisines to become famous, the prerequisite is its tastiness.