Woolf
On 3/20/2017 at 5:38 PM, Paul said:

This is also a dangerous way to do it, as most wire a dead man power cord to accomplish this. This is a cord with two male ends.

hmm Paul one more made a dead mans power cord

and another one use 2 switches, hmmm how easy is it to forget the line switch

or someone else starts the generator and do not flip the mains switch/breaker

line man dead ?

use the correct setup as already indicated in another post, use a DPDT switch and the line man is safe

there is no way that generator power can get to the line that way

• Like 3
  • Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paul

• Woolf

• Mikala

• colemanlee

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I just returned from buying one of two Honda EU20i Inverter Generators. (This is the equivalent of an EU2000i Inverter Generator commonly sold in the US.) EU20i Leaflet in ENG.pdf This

I think the important thing here is to be the only one to operate the generator. A local could surely screw this up, no matter how simple.

back feed   hmmm   that is a 2 step solution, how easy is it to forget to shut off the mains ?? dangerous for the line man I think the sample in the video, will not work for the veco area as

Posted Images

colemanlee
17 minutes ago, Woolf said:

On 3/20/2017 at 5:38 PM, Paul said:

This is also a dangerous way to do it, as most wire a dead man power cord to accomplish this. This is a cord with two male ends.

line man dead ?

Some folks have the common sense to manage all that...of course some do not

• Like 1
Jawny
1 hour ago, fred42 said:

Thats what I did..One extension cord that goes under my house and through a wooden floor into living room..Problem I have,if I want to use the Generator in the garden to run a jackhammer etc its a real pain in the ass as the plug that goes into the genset itself is some type of special plug.. Ive asked in the hardware stores here if they sell them but they all say "No"...

Anyone know where a genset plug can be purchased??

I did find some of these plugs at a hardware/building supply in Ormoc city.  I think it was called Save More or similar.  A large store near the ice plant.  I bought several (pricey at around ₽500 or so). I've attached several choices of extension cords.  This way I can pick and choose what I want to do.  I get high quality cords for my DIY efforts.  Not at all hard to do.

• Like 1
Jawny
2 hours ago, Mikala said:

If you're nearby Cebu City, I'm available for advice/guidance. Cost? Free! :)

Note: there are some VERY decent industrial extension cords on reels available at Belmont Industrial.

I've bought a garden hose reel and use it to store one of my often used extension cords.  

• Like 1
Woolf

Murphy's law is typically stated as: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.

• Like 2
colemanlee

Only if you were raised in a county where the government takes care of you from cradle to grave..:D

• Like 2

Those of us brought up to think for ourselves and are still alive, apparently were smart enough to figure out and use our generators whatever way we did, and all without killing ourselves or anyone else. 

• Like 3
shadow
9 minutes ago, Lee said:

Those of us brought up to think for ourselves and are still alive, apparently were smart enough to figure out and use our generators whatever way we did, and all without killing ourselves or anyone else. 

I think the important thing here is to be the only one to operate the generator. A local could surely screw this up, no matter how simple.

• Like 6
thebob
21 minutes ago, colemanlee said:

Only if you were raised in a county where the government takes care of you from cradle to grave..:D

Electrical installation is legally mandated. I'm sure nobody on this forum would condone breaking the law of their host country.

• Like 2
Paul
1 hour ago, Woolf said:

line man dead ?

use the correct setup as already indicated in another post, use a DPDT switch and the line man is safe

there is no way that generator power can get to the line that way

Not sure what you are saying here, as I am just waking from a not-so-restful sleep. But, I don't agree with any type of electric connections that could harm people.

• Like 4
Paul
2 hours ago, fred42 said:

the plug that goes into the genset itself is some type of special plug.

Can you post a photo? 

Paul
2 hours ago, SkyMan said:

I took the male ended cord that is specific to the gen set and added the male end of an extension cord.

That is a quick, easy, and deadly way to power your home with a generator. 

• Like 2
shadow
7 minutes ago, Paul said:

Can you post a photo? 

A lot of gen sets use a three prong twist lock plug;

Image result for 3 prong twist lock plug

• Like 3
Paul
1 hour ago, Lee said:

This may be fine and good, as long as everyone here can be 100% sure that no one else would ever come in contact with their jerry rigging wiring. In the Philippines, one may never be prosecuted for such an irresponsible act. In the US and elsewhere, they damned sure would be.

Folks, please keep in mind that a mere 50 milliamps can seriously hurt you. 100 milliamps can kill you. Doesn't take much, I assure you. this is 1/20th and 1/10th of an ampere, respectively. Doesn't seem like much when talking electricity. 

Let's say a child is playing around the extension cord that is wired with two male ends. That child pulls the plug from the power point in the home and grabs it. Not a pretty site for me to vision. 

20 minutes ago, shadow said:

A lot of gen sets use a three prong twist lock plug;

Image result for 3 prong twist lock plug

That's what I was thinking, that he had a genset with a twist-lock, full power socket. But, any hardware store in the Philippines would carry this plug, I am almost certain. 

Edited by Paul
  • Like 3
Paul
2 hours ago, SkyMan said:

Perhaps some calls to Duterte's corruption hotline would reduce your blackout problems.

An alternative would be to offer a viable solution, rather than an unrealistic one, ya think? :)