• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paul

• Woolf

• Mikala

• colemanlee

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I just returned from buying one of two Honda EU20i Inverter Generators. (This is the equivalent of an EU2000i Inverter Generator commonly sold in the US.) EU20i Leaflet in ENG.pdf This

I think the important thing here is to be the only one to operate the generator. A local could surely screw this up, no matter how simple.

back feed   hmmm   that is a 2 step solution, how easy is it to forget to shut off the mains ?? dangerous for the line man I think the sample in the video, will not work for the veco area as

Posted Images

Paul

Here are two of my DPDT knife switches. One is rated at 60 amperes / 600 volts. The other is rated at 30 amperes / 600 volts. 

IMG_20170320_.jpg

• Like 1
lolhahaha

Last year I bought a 1200W Aegis gas inverter generator at handyman when it took the local power company over a month to get our power connected. It was around 20K pesos. At the time I was visiting for 2 weeks in April and it was hot. It ran our big refrigerator, tv, lights, fans, etc all at once. We have an induction stove and it powered that too. I would put in 2L of fuel and it would run all day on that.

I got back here in November and nobody had started the generator since I left and it was dry so I got some gasoline and it wouldn't start. I'll  probably have to clean it up to get it working again. If they had a Honda I'd have bought that instead because the first unit we bought didn't even work so we had it replaced. I'd assume the Honda would've been double the price though.

Kreole
17 hours ago, Paul said:

I just returned from buying one of two Honda EU20i Inverter Generators. (This is the equivalent of an EU2000i Inverter Generator commonly sold in the US.)

EU20i Leaflet in ENG.pdf

honda-eu20i-2000w-generator.jpg

This generator will run most of my current apartment, with the exception of anything "hot'', or the air-con. That is, no hot water heater in the bathroom (3,500 watts), no hot water kettle (1,800 watts), no counter ovens of any kind (1,100 watts). However, it will run a large inverter refrigerator, a deep freezer, lights and fans, my entire LAN, and the air and water pumps, as well as the lighting in our greenhouse for the aquaponics system. 

Ironically, we had a 2.5 hour power cut yesterday, which gave me the perfect chance to break in this generator. I connected it to the house and ran all fans, lights and greenhouse loads, and refrigerator / freezer, without fail. I barely noticed it come off idle, in fact. (It has an Eco-Throttle option to save petrol, where it increases engine speed according to the load on the generator. It is also very quiet while running on this setting.)

What you should do, is to follow similar advice you may have read, that is given to people who want to go with solar. Buy yourself a power meter (or, alternatively, read the wattage rating on each appliance) and check the draw of each appliance you wish to run, simultaneously. Add those loads up, and multiply times 3 for any motors, like old style refrigerator compressors, that you may wish to run.

Personally, 2,000 watts to 3,000 watts is plenty, if all you wish to do is make it through a storm, or through a scheduled power cut. 

There are other models of generators out there, like Chinese made units. But, they will be very loud, vibrate continuously, and will not have the lifespan of a Honda Inverter Generator. 

Paul, I thought you were living in Cambodia.  If you are in the RP, are you back in Cebu?  The Honda inverter generator seems like the best option.  Now, where can I buy one?  Do they sell them in Dumaguete?  Cebu?  Thanks

Paul

@Kreole, @Woolf sorted the information you need. 

http://www.hondaph.com/product/power-products/power-generators/eu20i/

57 minutes ago, Woolf said:

Honda generators philippines

http://www.hondaph.com/product/category/power-products/power-generators/

phone numbers at the bottom this page

https://www.hondaph.com/contact/

====================================================================

1 hour ago, Kreole said:

Paul, I thought you were living in Cambodia.  If you are in the RP, are you back in Cebu?  The Honda inverter generator seems like the best option.  Now, where can I buy one?  Do they sell them in Dumaguete?  Cebu?  Thanks

I am. I purchased mine in Phnom Penh, at the Honda dealer there. They ordered the units for me.

Edited by Paul
shadow
1 hour ago, Kreole said:

Du Ek Sam in Duma had one the last time I was in there.

• Like 2
Mikala
23 minutes ago, shadow said:

Du Ek Sam in Duma had one the last time I was in there.

They had several when I was there a few months ago. :)

• Like 1
colemanlee

Most any honda dealer will order one for you, the larger shops usually have them in stock

Kreole
1 hour ago, Mikala said:

They had several when I was there a few months ago. :)

Did you note the price?  Are they the same size and model of which Paul writes?

Mikala
6 minutes ago, Kreole said:

Did you note the price?  Are they the same size and model of which Paul writes?

I wasn't at the shop for generators, so didn't note any models or prices. I seriously doubt they've got the same size and model that Paul bought, as that would have stood out to me (since I've got essentially the same model as Paul out on my ranch in Hawaii).

The dealership actually answers their phone (my wife has called there several times in the past six months), so I'd try calling them first prior to visiting them.

If you plan to purchase in Cebu, then I'd highly recommend checking out the wide variety of generators at Belmont Industrial Supply in Mandaue. If you need assistance in what they stock, I'm happy to stop by there (give me a week) and take photos / get prices.

Edited by Mikala
  • Like 2
SkyMan
On 3/20/2017 at 4:43 PM, Kreole said:

I am looking at renting a house with no back up gasoline generator and would like to know what size to buy and what models would be the best quality and most reliable?  The house I am considering is fairly small, and I am only one person, so there would not be much demand on the generator, just lights and a refrigerator.  I have not shopped for models so I thought I would ask here to see what information is available.  I am on Siquijor island, so would probably purchase one in Dumaguete.  Thanks ahead.

First thing.  Is your area prone to blackouts and are they long enough for you to care?  We don't have them very often.  Maybe once every 6 months longer than a few minutes and those are usually scheduled.  Good time to defrost the ref.

shadow
1 hour ago, SkyMan said:

First thing.  Is your area prone to blackouts and are they long enough for you to care?  We don't have them very often.  Maybe once every 6 months longer than a few minutes and those are usually scheduled.  Good time to defrost the ref.

In his original post he mentioned he was on Siquijor. Siquijor is or at least was all powered by huge diesel generators on barges. Brownouts were constant. 

• Like 1
SkyMan
5 minutes ago, shadow said:

In his original post he mentioned he was on Siquijor. Siquijor is or at least was all powered by huge diesel generators on barges. Brownouts were constant. 

Yeah, I saw he was on Siquijor which is why I asked.  I really have no experience with Siquijor.  I also noted he was renting and one of the advantages of renting is not having a bunch of 'stuff' holding you so you can just up and leave with relative ease.  That would make me think real hard about getting 'stuff' like generators.

Edited by SkyMan
Paul
4 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

Yeah, I saw he was on Siquijor which is why I asked.  I really have no experience with Siquijor.  I also noted he was renting and one of the advantages of renting is not having a bunch of 'stuff' holding you so you can just up and leave with relative ease.

I'm still renting an am buying a second Honda EU20i as soon as I can get back to Phnom Penh. :D

Some just don't want that 14 hours "surprise" power cut.