Sign in to follow this  
USMC-Retired

So you want an internet cafe

Cipro

So is DeepFreeze the management method of choice for this sort of operation? Do you run anti-viral and other security software at all on the clients?

canadianguy
So is DeepFreeze the management method of choice for this sort of operation? Do you run anti-viral and other security software at all on the clients?

Yes deepfreeze and mcafee on my clients.

USMC-Retired

I have started away from deep freeze. There is a program that can unfreeze the computers. There is a free program that does the same thing it little known. However it free and there seems to be no way to crack the process.

The name of the program is: Retrurnil

http://www.returnilvirtualsystem.com/

I do not run any antivirus on the machines. Deepfreeze prevents 98% of the viruses from enterning the machine. However let me paraphrase what I am saying. If you take a flash drive and plug it in to the computer prior to start up. Deepfreeze has not enabled yet. Thus a virus can back door into the machine at that point. So just keep that in mind.

Here is what are on my computers

Deepfreeze or Returnil

Handy Cafe (server program)

Open Office

Yahoo messanger

MSN Messanger

Adobe

Snap (web cam)

Firefox

chikka

Tim

Edited by USMC-Retired

canadianguy
I have started away from deep freeze. There is a program that can unfreeze the computers. There is a free program that does the same thing it little known. However it free and there seems to be no way to crack the process.

The name of the program is: Retrurnil

http://www.returnilvirtualsystem.com/

I do not run any antivirus on the machines. Deepfreeze prevents 98% of the viruses from enterning the machine. However let me paraphrase what I am saying. If you take a flash drive and plug it in to the computer prior to start up. Deepfreeze has not enabled yet. Thus a virus can back door into the machine at that point. So just keep that in mind.

Here is what are on my computers

Deepfreeze or Returnil

Handy Cafe (server program)

Open Office

Yahoo messanger

MSN Messanger

Adobe

Snap (web cam)

Firefox

chikka

Tim

Very interesting product, Wouldn't one cancel the other? deep freeze and returnil. If I understand correctly, you use both on each pc. That seems difficult to me. But I am not possitive how returnil works. I went to site and read but it doesn't explain how you add programs and turn it on and off. Seems hard to grasp 2 programs putting your pc back to original state. But you know a lot more then me. I'm still learning here. I will go back to the site and read more and google to see how it works. Thanks for the product tip though. It looks great.

Edited by canadianguy

USMC-Retired
Very interesting product, Wouldn't one cancel the other? deep freeze and returnil. If I understand correctly, you use both on each pc. That seems difficult to me. But I am not possitive how returnil works. I went to site and read but it doesn't explain how you add programs and turn it on and off. Seems hard to grasp 2 programs putting your pc back to original state. But you know a lot more then me. I'm still learning here. I will go back to the site and read more and google to see how it works. Thanks for the product tip though. It looks great.

Sorry should have been clear no I just use returnil Reason is Deep freeze can be broke into. I have a program that will crack it and then I have your computer to do as I wish with.

LasVEgasRon

I can understand your wife loving it, but now she is married to the business and how can she leave to go places and travel? The $1000 pesos a day will take you almost a year to pay back what you invested ( I guess $5000USD). I just wonder if it is worthwhile to make a larger business with more computers so you could increase your per hour profit. It would really be a great business if it could pay an employee when needed and still turn a decent profit. I would also think you would want to put some money away to update equipment and pay repairs.

I use $1000 USD a month as an avarage cost of living there. I know most do it for much less. I guess I just need some time there to know the real cost of living there.

Cipro

A business that can return it's capitol investment in 12 months seems pretty fantastic to me. As for the $400 profit, I'm curious as to how that would scale with more seats. I could drop $10,000 into something like this pretty easily and if it would provide $750 or so a month in income it seems like we could hire an employee to cover and help a lot of the time.

Honestly I tend to sit and dick around with computers a lot anyway.

Cipro
Yes deepfreeze and mcafee on my clients.

I like McAfee ;0

But then some of my code is inside that product.

Honestly I'd probably use the new Microsoft free stuff if I was using DeepFreeze as well.

mattwilkie
Not so, but you may want to read up on the export laws.

12. EXPORT RESTRICTIONS. You acknowledge that the Software is subject to U.S. export jurisdiction. You agree to comply with all applicable international and national laws that apply to the Software, including the U.S. Export Administration Regulations, as well as end-user, end-use, and destination restrictions issued by U.S. and other governments. For additional information see http://www.microsoft.com/exporting/.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/eula/home.mspx

I worked for Microsoft and I don't see any real problems. But if you ship them in and don't pay duty, technically they could shake you down later I think.

Think it depends how deep people look into it.. the number of Black market businesses operating in the Philippines economy is something around 40% of the revenue. Which sort of pretty much says unless you are a "target" its unlikely anyone will bother you.

love

I don't think it is a big money maker. When I visited Cebu last my friend neighbor had a internet cafe next door. No aircon in there just fans. So that is where I used the internet. They are not doing it anymore and trying to sell off the PC's. The internet cafe down the street had an aircon and sold food, halohalo and sodas. I think location may make a difference too. If you are in an area with no competition and lots of potential customers it may do better. Maybe an internet cafe/ international phone / sari sari may do better. maybe you can through in a videokee too. You need to figure out what your customers need and want.

My other friend who has many sari saris and makes good money does not like internet cafe, she thinks it is not a good money maker.

Edited by love

mattwilkie
Just a little update.

We had the free hot dog night Wednesday of this week. We had about 120 people show up. Awesome. The cost of the hotdogs on the stick was 700 pesos.

Our sales on a normal Wednesday is about 1400 pesos. Wednesday we did a sales of 2300 pesos. (this is just internet usages). So averages say we did 1000 pesos more on that day then other wednesdays.

Also we had a group (4) Muslims come into the shop. Sad they could not have a hotdog do to the pork. However I gave each of them a sparkle and apologized that we did not have food for them. These 4 people now have come in the shop every day since. They became a member of the shop (30 pesos each) and have purchased seven 3 hours for price of 2 hours promotion coupons. (available only to members). So the total of them alone is 330. These are new customers that had never been to the shop. So the promotion added 4 new clients also that I know of.

So this is just to show a little give back can pay huge dividends.

Changing subject;

On Thursday we received a ticket from the Mayors office. They said we had no Mayors permit. Though we had a Mayors permit the court house was slow to issue it. We were the only stop on this checking of permits. The problem is resolved and will not be a problem in the future. However why do I bring this up. When you start doing well there is a crab mentality. They will report you and try and make life hard on you. Additionally when you are an expat or have an expat husband/wife they hate to see you do better then the locals. So they will just start the reporting. I say this because it has happen to me a couple of times and I shrug it off. However make sure you have all the permits and licensing you need. Thus avoiding a huge problem. I pay a bookkeeper 1000 pesos a month to keep me legal. This is cheap insurance and I have never had a problem.

Know exactly what you mean which is why im a silent investor in most ventures so far... I cant afford for peopling attacking businesses im involved in causing me headaches right now. So the best thing if you can is get people you can trust to be the faces of the business.. Most of it can be controlled remotely so a better option in a lot of cases..

Doesnt mean I dont visit.. but im more of a passer through taking in what i need to before contacting the people that are running things for me.. Its a shame the crab mentality leads to these sort of things.. but also the fact as things expand the risks get higher.. Ive currently just had to put a stop on expansion on one idea as the people involved dont want to draw attention to themselves that could put theyre lives at risk. Which I completely understand but just sad its like this.

mattwilkie
Joroje is one of the best at repairing Xbox360 # Red Lights of Death. He is located in Cebu. He repaired one for myself and 2 others for people in our area. He is good and his fixes work, you can contact him through this repair forum.

7th month and running strong, and my son gives it high usage. Hope it helps you get them up and running again

3 Rings of death are under warranty with Microsoft not sure if its the same going on in the Philippines though. In the UK you can log it.. its collected repaired and sent back to you.

The Nintendo Wii has just moved on a few clicks in the last couple of week as a USB Hard drive device can be added full of games.. takes about 15mins to do the conversion and its up and running. So sticking a terrabyte drive on it is enough to keep people busy.. Biggest issue i would have is sticking wireless controllers in an internet cafe.

canadianguy
I can understand your wife loving it, but now she is married to the business and how can she leave to go places and travel? The $1000 pesos a day will take you almost a year to pay back what you invested ( I guess $5000USD). I just wonder if it is worthwhile to make a larger business with more computers so you could increase your per hour profit. It would really be a great business if it could pay an employee when needed and still turn a decent profit. I would also think you would want to put some money away to update equipment and pay repairs.

I use $1000 USD a month as an avarage cost of living there. I know most do it for much less. I guess I just need some time there to know the real cost of living there.

I'm very lucky, My wife has an 18 year old son who helps her out there and 3 brothers that will cover for her when they have there days off also. Her father keeps the place in good shape as he loves having things to do such as hang shelves, paint and general repairs. She has a great family and they help her out a lot. But honestly she works most of the time and they have to kick her out, because she loves it. Yes maybe more pcs and a bigger place would work. I can only work with what I have. I am not rich. I started sending her xbox's and wii's, 1 at a time until we had enough to open a small store (1 apartment) ,because I was there and nobody had them. In canada the consoles are so popular and no one plays pc games anymore, so I thought it was a great business idea. little did I know or think they would not play consoles in the phil. We had some regulars but 500 was the most we made a day with 4 wii's 4 abox 360's and 6 ds. Usually we made 300 average. There is an internet cafe basically 40 feet away from us, so I never intended to compete with them. We had a popular wii game called mario kart and the cafe up the road found out and bought a pc game called crazy kart. That little mistake they made, cost them large. When my wife told me that, I have to admit it pissed me off and brought the competition out in me. I went and bought pc's and took over apartment#2 and got pldt and all the games that cafe had and more. I bought expensive chairs, snacks, a fridge and drinks. Needless to say that cafe sits empty most of the time and has a for sale sign in the window now. We were happy with the single apartment and wii and xbox and 300 a day. It was nice easy maintenance and something my wife enjoyed. Now we have lots of bills. Rent on 2nd apartment, pldt internet and phone, technician and a big hydro bill. But she still loves it.

Edited by canadianguy

Cipro
Know exactly what you mean which is why im a silent investor in most ventures so far... I cant afford for peopling attacking businesses im involved in causing me headaches right now.

Can you explain more about how you set this up? How much is based on trust and how much is legally binding, at least in theory?

canadianguy
3 Rings of death are under warranty with Microsoft not sure if its the same going on in the Philippines though. In the UK you can log it.. its collected repaired and sent back to you.

The Nintendo Wii has just moved on a few clicks in the last couple of week as a USB Hard drive device can be added full of games.. takes about 15mins to do the conversion and its up and running. So sticking a terrabyte drive on it is enough to keep people busy.. Biggest issue i would have is sticking wireless controllers in an internet cafe.

Yes I bought my 360's 2nd hand and they are firmware modded. I found a repair guy who completely butchered them in the phil. I can not send these back. As for the wireless remotes I was also worried about theft. But in about 1 year now not one has been stolen.