Sign in to follow this  
USMC-Retired

So you want an internet cafe

Bet_Busta
We have two shops. One is 27 sqm and 12 computers. The others is 25 Sqm and 9 computers. However there is alot of room in the shops.

Here is another creative Idea we did. It is alot of fun and the customers love it.

http://profiles.friendster.com/91209125

(I just lifted private profile so check back if still set to private)

It is still private.

I assume each shop is P6k rent.

USMC-Retired
It is still private.

I assume each shop is P6k rent.

Yes each shop is 6K.

Bet_Busta
Yes each shop is 6K.

Thanks.

canadianguy
USMC,

Quick question please. If one had a big enough place, couldn't you set up your place with half being chatter friendly and the other for game'ers?

Also, I was toying with the idea, how about half set up for computer chatters and the other half set up with gameing systems like xBox and WI ? How do you think that might fare?.

Thanks,

Ned

I have had a gaming place (xbox and wii) for about 6 or 7 months now and I can tell you the kids get very loud. We are lucky as its in an aprtment and there is an ajoining apartment that we will cut a door through(it was actually cut today) and we will have our pcs in the other apartment. The chatters and students were bitching about the noise. So hopefully using the other apartment will keep the peace. Stay the hell away from xbox 360 they go three red rings of death every other day. I started with 4 and am down to 1 now. I lost a fortune with microshit. The only thing microsoft makes that doesn't suck is a vacuum cleaner. just kidding but the 360 is garbage. If someone tells you the new boards are fine and work great. Don't believe them. They all suck. Go with either original xbox, wii, ps2, ps3. here is some info about each machine so you can choose. ps2 is your best bet.

xbox 360 can firmware mod to play back up games, machine doesn't last long.

ps3 unmoddable and can not play backups, very expensive.

xbox fully moddable able to put games on hard drive of anysize. no need for discs. cheap price. no new games are made for it.

ps2 fully moddable and able to put games on hard drive also. can play back ups, original discs are cheap. still make new games for it.

USMC-Retired
I have had a gaming place (xbox and wii) for about 6 or 7 months now and I can tell you the kids get very loud. We are lucky as its in an aprtment and there is an ajoining apartment that we will cut a door through(it was actually cut today) and we will have our pcs in the other apartment. The chatters and students were bitching about the noise. So hopefully using the other apartment will keep the peace. Stay the hell away from xbox 360 they go three red rings of death every other day. I started with 4 and am down to 1 now. I lost a fortune with microshit. The only thing microsoft makes that doesn't suck is a vacuum cleaner. just kidding but the 360 is garbage. If someone tells you the new boards are fine and work great. Don't believe them. They all suck. Go with either original xbox, wii, ps2, ps3. here is some info about each machine so you can choose. ps2 is your best bet.

xbox fully moddable able to put games on hard drive of anysize. no need for discs. cheap price. no new games are made for it.

ps2 fully moddable and able to put games on hard drive also. can play back ups, original discs are cheap. still make new games for it.

I have 4 moded PS2's and huge 160HD all the games are on the Hard Drive. However I am not happy with them. They just do not turn the money. So I have removed them and replaced with computers.

canadianguy
Not so, but you may want to read up on the export laws.

12. EXPORT RESTRICTIONS. You acknowledge that the Software is subject to U.S. export jurisdiction. You agree to comply with all applicable international and national laws that apply to the Software, including the U.S. Export Administration Regulations, as well as end-user, end-use, and destination restrictions issued by U.S. and other governments. For additional information see http://www.microsoft.com/exporting/.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/eula/home.mspx

I worked for Microsoft and I don't see any real problems. But if you ship them in and don't pay duty, technically they could shake you down later I think.

Yes hopefully I will get around those laws as i did buy upgrade kits for each pc in the phil. I even bought new towers (casing). Thanks for all hints and tips usmc, Bob and everyone else. I appreciate it.

canadianguy
I have 4 moded PS2's and huge 160HD all the games are on the Hard Drive. However I am not happy with them. They just do not turn the money. So I have removed them and replaced with computers.

wow it must depend on the area. Then again we opened up with only xbox360 and wii so the kids had no choice as we had no pcs. I just replaced the 360 with ps2 and they are quite busy. I did not do the hard drive mod. I bought original discs here in canada because they are used and cheap. if you want to sell your 4 usmc, please pm me.

Edited by canadianguy

USMC-Retired

Something I forget what about the cafe's in the area. Look around and go visit them. Just because there are 4 cafe's close does not mean you should not open. Remember what I have found is alot of these mom and pop cafe's are doing it on the cheap. The internet speed is slow computers are slow. So do not worry about them. The best time to check it out is around 6-10 Saturday and Sunday. See how many customers are there. Remember those will be your future customers. If they are dead between those hours then you will also.

When I opened we had 4 cafe's with in that great 1km surrounding area. Now it is us and one other. Also as they go under they lower the price to 10 pesos an hour. You do not do it. Just have a little promo during that time. 3 hours for price of 2 must be consumed in one day. Or a raffle...

Do it better and nicer and they will find you. Breaking even the first three months is a great thing.

The rundown for my profits. The first three months I saw a profit of 1500 pesos. This was net profit. Currently 9 months into the operation we are seeing a profit of 19,000 pesos. That is not alot of money however business continues to improve and day time people are providing a nice boost of income. I feel I have done this correctly and have maximized all the profits for the business. The computers are being used 138 hours out of a possible 220 hours. So there is some room for more monies and improvements.

Edited by USMC-Retired

USMC-Retired

Just a little update.

We had the free hot dog night Wednesday of this week. We had about 120 people show up. Awesome. The cost of the hotdogs on the stick was 700 pesos.

Our sales on a normal Wednesday is about 1400 pesos. Wednesday we did a sales of 2300 pesos. (this is just internet usages). So averages say we did 1000 pesos more on that day then other wednesdays.

Also we had a group (4) Muslims come into the shop. Sad they could not have a hotdog do to the pork. However I gave each of them a sparkle and apologized that we did not have food for them. These 4 people now have come in the shop every day since. They became a member of the shop (30 pesos each) and have purchased seven 3 hours for price of 2 hours promotion coupons. (available only to members). So the total of them alone is 330. These are new customers that had never been to the shop. So the promotion added 4 new clients also that I know of.

So this is just to show a little give back can pay huge dividends.

Changing subject;

On Thursday we received a ticket from the Mayors office. They said we had no Mayors permit. Though we had a Mayors permit the court house was slow to issue it. We were the only stop on this checking of permits. The problem is resolved and will not be a problem in the future. However why do I bring this up. When you start doing well there is a crab mentality. They will report you and try and make life hard on you. Additionally when you are an expat or have an expat husband/wife they hate to see you do better then the locals. So they will just start the reporting. I say this because it has happen to me a couple of times and I shrug it off. However make sure you have all the permits and licensing you need. Thus avoiding a huge problem. I pay a bookkeeper 1000 pesos a month to keep me legal. This is cheap insurance and I have never had a problem.

• Like 2

JamesMusslewhite

Joroje is one of the best at repairing Xbox360 # Red Lights of Death. He is located in Cebu. He repaired one for myself and 2 others for people in our area. He is good and his fixes work, you can contact him through this repair forum.

7th month and running strong, and my son gives it high usage. Hope it helps you get them up and running again

Edited by Bob Ward
Please get permission before posting links to businesses in the forum. Thank you!

LasVEgasRon

I like the idea of an Internet Cafe, but you only make $19,0000 pesos a month? ($400.+USD) How can you make it on that? Does that allow a reserve for replacement or damage? Are you getting paid as you sit there? How much an hour? Maybe I miss something that you can clarify. Would it pay to open a bigger building with more computers as long as you would still have the same labor and other fixed costs that would be relitive to the size, like A/C, electric.

Maybe there are other things that can be incorporated in the business to raise the revenue. (Sell drinks?)

I know if I was to move there and invest in a business that I would need to "Net" about $1000 USD or more to live good. I'm not looking for a job or practice session.

Let me know what I don't see, as my g/f thinks this business is good and I look to move there maybe later this year. Thanks, Ron

canadianguy

I would like to change my opinion or answer I posted to this. My xbox and wii and ps2 used to make decent money. Now they have gone into the toilet. I have a few regular custs that visit some everyday or some a few times a week, but since I added the pcs, those consoles have not been pulling there weight. I am in the process of buying more pcs and lcd monitors to replace the tvs that we use for wii and ps2 and xbox. I am now planning to buy vga cables and switch boxes so a cust can use pc with the monitor or I push a button and a cust can use xbox, wii or ps2 on that monitor. This way I can throw the tvs and if there are no console customers and my pcs are full they can use the pc at that station. The cost of this isn't very much.

canadianguy
I like the idea of an Internet Cafe, but you only make $19,0000 pesos a month? ($400.+USD) How can you make it on that? Does that allow a reserve for replacement or damage? Are you getting paid as you sit there? How much an hour? Maybe I miss something that you can clarify. Would it pay to open a bigger building with more computers as long as you would still have the same labor and other fixed costs that would be relitive to the size, like A/C, electric.

Maybe there are other things that can be incorporated in the business to raise the revenue. (Sell drinks?)

I know if I was to move there and invest in a business that I would need to "Net" about $1000 USD or more to live good. I'm not looking for a job or practice session.

Let me know what I don't see, as my g/f thinks this business is good and I look to move there maybe later this year. Thanks, Ron

I have to be honest with you, For the money I put into this business, it is totally not worth it. I have a hard time I guess because in Canada I make a decent buck so when I hear my cafe made 1000 or 1500php a day. I think crap that's only 25.00 canadian. But my wife(yes we got married)lol loves the business and just loves the kids that come and play. Our business is in an apartment on her land. The kids every morning(well in the summertime) would sit outside the gate and wait for my wife to come from the house to the apartment.Then they tease her and say hurry up sweep and mop and then shower...lol They all know her routine. I was there for 5 weeks and had a great time working with her in the cafe and watching the kids enjoy the equipment and joke and tease my wife. We have something for everyone at our cafe. Printing , scanning, copying, internet, pc games,snacks, drinks,xbox 360,wii,ps2, and 7 nintendo ds. I put the nintendo ds in there so even the poor kids can play, as I only charge 5 pesos an hour. And I give lots of kids free time on them as they don't cost me anything except hydro to charge the battery. I have 2gb ace card loaded with 60 or 70 games on each.

Anyway its a different way of life in the phil and I got to see lot's of smiling faces. i realized there is more to life then making money and eased up on my wife about not making any money. 1000 to 1500 a day is plenty for her and her 2 kids. She is very happy and she enjoys it a lot. So I learned to be happy with it. But if its going to be your only income I think you will need 3 or 4 cafes if you want to live the same as back home.

Another thing is you should be well versed with computers. Know how to use the software and replace or repair hardware. I am really good at software but not so much the hardware. I hired a technician to fix things for us because she doesn't know how and I am in canada. He stole our memory out of our pcs, replaced a 160gb hard drive with a 40gb and many other things. So I fired him and learned a big lesson. I did however find an honest and knowledgeable technician who is an engineering student. Very nice and smart guy so I pay him 2500php/month to come and fix things when they are broken. If nothing breaks in the month he wins. If something breaks every other day he loses. usually he is there once a week or once every two weeks so he is happy.

USMC-Retired
I have to be honest with you, For the money I put into this business, it is totally not worth it. I have a hard time I guess because in Canada I make a decent buck so when I hear my cafe made 1000 or 1500php a day. I think crap that's only 25.00 canadian. But my wife(yes we got married)lol loves the business and just loves the kids that come and play. Our business is in an apartment on her land. The kids every morning(well in the summertime) would sit outside the gate and wait for my wife to come from the house to the apartment.Then they tease her and say hurry up sweep and mop and then shower...lol They all know her routine. I was there for 5 weeks and had a great time working with her in the cafe and watching the kids enjoy the equipment and joke and tease my wife. We have something for everyone at our cafe. Printing , scanning, copying, internet, pc games,snacks, drinks,xbox 360,wii,ps2, and 7 nintendo ds. I put the nintendo ds in there so even the poor kids can play, as I only charge 5 pesos an hour. And I give lots of kids free time on them as they don't cost me anything except hydro to charge the battery. I have 2gb ace card loaded with 60 or 70 games on each.

Anyway its a different way of life in the phil and I got to see lot's of smiling faces. i realized there is more to life then making money and eased up on my wife about not making any money. 1000 to 1500 a day is plenty for her and her 2 kids. She is very happy and she enjoys it a lot. So I learned to be happy with it. But if its going to be your only income I think you will need 3 or 4 cafes if you want to live the same as back home.

Another thing is you should be well versed with computers. Know how to use the software and replace or repair hardware. I am really good at software but not so much the hardware. I hired a technician to fix things for us because she doesn't know how and I am in canada. He stole our memory out of our pcs, replaced a 160gb hard drive with a 40gb and many other things. So I fired him and learned a big lesson. I did however find an honest and knowledgeable technician who is an engineering student. Very nice and smart guy so I pay him 2500php/month to come and fix things when they are broken. If nothing breaks in the month he wins. If something breaks every other day he loses. usually he is there once a week or once every two weeks so he is happy.

You have to imagine that a cafe that is earning 30K a month that is more then a job they could get. So when someone is earning this kind of money it is silly to close it. So yes it seems like a small amount however it is great then any job.

ckfm

This is a great answer. My wife has the same thinking. You cannot convert into $$, just think that making 1,000 pesos/day is so much in the Philippines, your wife will just freak out and give you the best day of your life, maybe even more, haha.

The nice thing about this country is that everybody seems to talk about money but it is so small money and in reality they only use money to get happy unlike us where we use money for power, paying the mortgage, getting greedy and all that stuff. And are still not happy at the end of the day.

Filipinos make 2,000 pesos and throw a party for 5,000 pesos to celebrate it. Of course you pay the difference but what the heck.

./

./