Sign in to follow this  
USMC-Retired

So you want an internet cafe

spooks

we had one with 12 pc we had power bills of over 20thou a month as air con, no rent as ran from home. business permits extortionate  we also sold sari sari goods to cross sell. we closed it as it was nit earning anything and the constant demand for new games etc with repair for headsets and other items meant it was just not worth it. South Metro NCR and that was 7 years ago dread to think what it costs on power to run that now and resistance on getting more than 20 pesos per hour is as string as ever.

charlest27

We are on Mindanao, Calamba its near Dipolog.

Our internet cafe for Oct.. We have 18 computers mostly older ones with video cards.

Expenses

Rent                                         4,000

Electric aprox.                          8,500  Was another 1,000 last month

Small bussiness line internet   5,500

Tech                                         3,000

Total expenses                        21k

Income                                    31,685

Net                                          10,685

It has been our worst month since we started keeping track 13 months ago. Our expenses dont change much the electric can go up or down a grand or two according to how busy we are and the rates have gone up a lot in the last year but otherwise its about the same. As I stated earlier our average for the last year was 21k net. Were getting into the slow time of year and aparently the nearest internet cafe bought some new computers too.

We have made enough to pay for our investment in the first year. But we run it ourselves. Recently realised we have had some new hard drives replaced with crap by one of our techs you really have to keep an eye on them. At least 10k in loss there. Still looking into exactly who it was.

Sorry I didnt notice activity here lately I'm not in here every day.

I do not beleive that cafes will disapear here. How many Philipinos do you know that can save enough for a tablet? They are projected to get as low as 2500 pesoes in a couple years but how many do you know that can save even 1000? But it is getting much more competative and most of the bussiness is from gamers wanting lan or online games. Well over half for us and most of our customers are from the college accross the street so we do get a good portion doing research and writing papers. Eventualy we may make money on wifi but dont really have a demand for it yet. Few here have a tablet.

Well on the repair guys replacing the harddrives with cheap one . Fyi have the repair guy fix in house tell you what is wrong and you buy the parts if he refuses no problem i will find someone else put it in writing so there is no quetion about it My brother in law knows how to fix the computers. So no problem there. He is honest so he gets more bussiness when it come to coumpter repair He is in Cebu. I belive in the 10 comandments when it come to stealing. Donot do it.

udonthani

I dropped into onto the Netopia (?!) in Mandaue Grand Mall after getting my extension at the BoI last week. 

they have actually UPPED their price from the 40 pesos an hour it was before, already very expensive, to a whopping 50 now. I know they have high overheads, but that really is quite a big ask in the current climate.

I logged in and first thing that came up was some SPAM advertisement. I just called the girl over and said look I am not paying you for that. Got up, and walked out. They are charging three, four or five times what everyone else is. And they still think it is OK to SPAM the customers too. 

coffee was 100 pesos also. They won't be getting any business from me in future. 

littlejohn

We have made the serious mistake of not inventorying everything when we change employees. So we may not be able to prove who it was. Her Uncle that we wanted to investigate is out of town and we have no way to contact him so a bit out on a limb here will just have to fire the one we have as I suspect it was him but wife is worried about repercussions as he has police relatives.

Some tips get a scan of their photo ID and have a background check run by a policeman you know. We have been intending to scan the ID of everyone here for months even boarders but we had trouble with the printer and hadn't gotten it done.

On he bright side after all this mess my wife is getting serious about figuring out how to save enough money to leave the Philippines.

Brucewayne

We had an internet cafe for two years and with all of the competition we had to shut down because the electricity and other expenses were going up as the internet cafes were lowering their prices well below the profit margin.

If we only made one Peso per hour (like a sari sari), it wouldn't be worth the trouble and time to us, as we could have fun on the money we already have instead of working our arses off trying to recoup our investment.

udonthani

they are totally disappearing very very fast indeed in even provincial towns. Here in Balamban there was at least eight, and those were just the ones I knew about, just a year ago. My two favorites have both gone. There seems to be just two left now,  a single one near the van terminal (in a block where there used to be three of them) and another one that appears to be on the edge and looks like it might be about to close. And that is it, for the central area of a town of 65,000 people. There is another one I noticed driving past near the shipyard in Buanoy. The only explanation is that yes, even in the relative sticks they are using the inexpensive smart phones and tablets that are now widely available everywhere.

littlejohn

Update:  Our internet cafe while still profitable isnt making as much as it used to. We added 12 more computers recently and it helped as they are a bit newer units but not sure even with them we will make what we were as electricity has gone sky high. According to the bill they are charging the same per KW/H so I dont understand why the bill has gone up so much. This higher rate started before we bought more computers so it doesent make sense.

Just figured the anual total and its down 1/3 from last year.

We need to update with some newer computers that use less electricity but funds have been tight with lots of other things going on and a lower income. Never did make much on printing cant keep printers working for anything.

Also hackers are a bigger problem and we really need to upgrade to a disckless sytem for them and to save most of the updating work.

The bussiness is getting much more competative as I expected it would.

Still havent seen any cafe software for the android/ARM machines but the computers themselves have made big advances the new ones are great just hope we can get software for them sometime soon and cheap monitors that are compatible (the chips arent compatible with VGA ports).

hilyfe

When you start doing well there is a crab mentality. They will report you and try and make life hard on you.

Thats a filipino crab mentality for ya

I hate this types of filipinos

NOSOCALPINOY
IMHO cybercafes will be a thing of the past when the owners/operators realizes that it's a no profit situation, because of the cost of monthly lease of the building, the utility costs, salaries of the employees and maintenance and update of their computers. 

My sister-law lost all of her savings trying to run her own cybercafe which only lasted about a year. 

Their  Rotisserie Chicken side business in front of their cybercafe made more money until the owner of the rotisserie machine saw it was making money, he took it back and ran his own Rotisserie Chicken business for himself, hence my sister-in-law's business went under all together.

That's Filipino crab mentality for ya alright!  :idontknow:

Edited by NOSOCALPINOY

hilyfe

Internet cafe

Will not work anymore

Aint like before when computers are high prices

Some instead just buy a phone with internet connection

Why spend your time sitting in that chair when you can use internet where ever you are on your cp

I know i wouldnt

I would rather use my cp instead

THENN

What about the case of Gaming Cafe? Now that e-sports is gaining it's popularity, will this impact the profitability of a computer cafe?

USMC-Retired

There is money in a total gaming experince in the Philippines. Yet very little left in just internet.