Change to birth certificate to obtain Philhealth...necessary?

Jawny

I have a BIL, born in 1968. I'd like to get him Philhealth but have run into a problem that some members have discussed in the past.  His birth certificate has a typo.  It is a simple and easy to understand typo.  His first and last name are correct.  The middle name starts with the letter R.  The typo is the middle name starts with the letter B.

He is not likely to need the birth certificate for any significant purposes aside from getting Philhealth.  He will not likely be obtaining a passport.  His opportunities for inheritance is limited.  He is unlikely to be married.  Overall, I can't think of reasons to make the effort to get the BC corrected.

Any members who have recently been through the process to correct a typo?  I'm trying to determine if it's worth the bother.  

angbumabasa
3 minutes ago, Jawny said:

I have a BIL, born in 1968. I'd like to get him Philhealth but have run into a problem that some members have discussed in the past.  His birth certificate has a typo.  It is a simple and easy to understand typo.  His first and last name are correct.  The middle name starts with the letter R.  The typo is the middle name starts with the letter B.

He is not likely to need the birth certificate for any significant purposes aside from getting Philhealth.  He will not likely be obtaining a passport.  His opportunities for inheritance is limited.  He is unlikely to be married.  Overall, I can't think of reasons to make the effort to get the BC corrected.

Any members who have recently been through the process to correct a typo?  I'm trying to determine if it's worth the bother.  

Son born in Butuan City in 1992  had white out over middle name with handwritten new middle name. PITA. Eventually got him US and Fil Passports and related documents. Just kept trying to sort it out in Butuan and Maasin City. 

hyaku

Yes I did. Spelling of one letter on a name on a written document did not match NSO records. Paid municipal P1800 and it took 18 months to correct.

• Administrator
Salty Dog

I've always wondered when people say their name is spelled wrong on their birth certificate. Seems to me, that whatever the birth certificate says, is in fact their legal name.

Yes I know most Filipino use their mother's maiden name as a middle name, but it's more of a custom and is not a legal requirement.

Sent From Tab S2 Using Tapatalk

AlwaysRt
6 hours ago, Salty Dog said:

I've always wondered when people say their name is spelled wrong on their birth certificate. Seems to me, that whatever the birth certificate says, is in fact their legal name.

Yes I know most Filipino use their mother's maiden name as a middle name, but it's more of a custom and is not a legal requirement.

I agree with your logic and used it. My wife's middle name was/is misspelled on her birth certificate. Instead of paddling up stream for a year or two I said just 'officially' spell your name that way, which she did through the passport and marriage processes. Now that we have a marriage certificate, her legal name on her new passport ect is no longer 'wrong' because her mother's maiden name dropped out and her maiden name became her middle name. No headaches, no problems, just normal process.

• Like 1
Woolf

looks to me that he is 59 or will be this year

do you know that at 60 he can have philhealth for free

even if he was not a member before ?

Davaoeno

I believe that at present the  official designation of Senior Citizen in the Philippines only applies to citizens.

• Like 2
Jawny

Free or paid, a birth certificate is needed for registration. 

• Administrator
Salty Dog
11 minutes ago, Woolf said:

looks to me that he is 59 or will be this year

do you know that at 60 he can have philhealth for free

even if he was not a member before ?

Born in 1968 would make him only 48 or 49.

Woolf
1 minute ago, Salty Dog said:

Born in 1968 would make him only 48 or 49.

Now I know why filipinos always use a calculator

you are right

• Like 1
Headshot
1 hour ago, Davaoeno said:

I believe that at present the  official designation of Senior Citizen in the Philippines only applies to citizens.

Well, look who the cat dragged in.

• Like 2
TheWhiteKnight
13 hours ago, Salty Dog said:

It actually more of a legal requirement than not but in some cases you can work around it look up the Civil Code of the Philippines. There is no such thing as even changing your name in the Philippines. Even correcting a typo used to be a judicial issue. Slightly relaxed recently: https://web0.psa.gov.ph/civilregistration/civil-registration-laws/faq-republic-act-no-9048.

13 hours ago, Jawny said:

Why does he need a BC for Philhealth anyway? From what I remember, I didn't even show any ID, and even if he has to, what's wrong with going by the name as written on the BC?

Jawny

Got to show some sort of ID to get the coverage. Perhaps some individuals got registered sans ID. He cannot. To get some sort of ID he needs a BC. The local registrar says they cannot give him a local BC unless he has an NSO one first. 

We are relying on others to do this, so I'm not sure if it is just a cranky clerk or an actual rule.

There is a distinct likelihood he has the typo in his middle name as do his parents. The family names are commonly misspelled (using letter o rather than letter u). 

To order the BC online, the process is simple, but gives no room for error. If even one name is misspelled, then the search will result in a mismatch. Thus, no BC provided. There's no refunds if they come up empty.

shadow
12 minutes ago, Jawny said:

Got to show some sort of ID to get the coverage. Perhaps some individuals got registered sans ID. He cannot. To get some sort of ID he needs a BC. The local registrar says they cannot give him a local BC unless he has an NSO one first. 

We are relying on others to do this, so I'm not sure if it is just a cranky clerk or an actual rule.

There is a distinct likelihood he has the typo in his middle name as do his parents. The family names are commonly misspelled (using letter o rather than letter u). 

To order the BC online, the process is simple, but gives no room for error. If even one name is misspelled, then the search will result in a mismatch. Thus, no BC provided. There's no refunds if they come up empty.

Something backwards there. It is the local BC that is issued first, then it is sent to NSO for it to be registered at NSO.

Jawny
6 minutes ago, shadow said:

Something backwards there. It is the local BC that is issued first, then it is sent to NSO for it to be registered at NSO.

True, but if they have a rule that prevents the citizen from getting the local BC, then he is stuck. We've had issues ourselves with this local registrar, so it's not surprising to be told to get the NSO first. 

• Like 1