Sign in to follow this  
bkb1

My Go To Small Appliance for Cooking almost everything

M.C.A.

My post is all wrong but then again I'm not an electrician so I'll try it again, I don't like using voltage converters to convert 110 to 220 volts especially on oven or crock pot type appliances.

Woolf
15 minutes ago, M.C.A. said:

My post is all wrong but then again I'm not an electrician so I'll try it again, I don't like using voltage converters to convert 110 to 220 volts especially on oven or crock pot type appliances.

I think you mean step down transformers 220/240 to 110/120

Anything with a heating element draws a lot of current  2000 watt could even be more

that will require some heavy transformer 

Here is one  3000 watt  https://www.lazada.com.ph/products/panther-pt-3000-step-down-transformer-3000-watts-99-copper-i141820357-s161548330.html?spm=a2o4l.searchlist.list.27.42f4454dqokhX1&search=1

8,999 PHP

Load: 3000 Watts Max Surge /1000w Continuos Motorized / 1500w Continous Electronic 

1500 watt continous electronic, will be same for resistive load like a heating element

And the risk of someone some day plugging the device into a 220/240 socket       puuuuuf 

• Like 1

M.C.A.
Posted (edited)

Woolf my 110-volt crock pot was plugged into a 1500 watt voltage converter and it burned up along with the wall socket but I'm not familiar with a step-down converter they aren't cheap.

Edited by M.C.A.

Woolf

My advice:

do not bring 110/120 appliances to the Philippines or any other country with 220/240 volt

will give nothing but troubles

• Like 2

AB2000

The ones I’m shipping over are 220v. I borrowed a big ass step up converter from work to verify that they worked before boxing them and shipping them out with other goodies we were sending anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Davaoeno
53 minutes ago, Woolf said:

My advice:

do not bring 110/120 appliances to the Philippines or any other country with 220/240 volt

all of the 110 volt things I brought 9 years ago [ including a blender and a coffee grinder ] all still work like new !! 

Woolf
2 minutes ago, Davaoeno said:

all of the 110 volt things I brought 9 years ago [ including a blender and a coffee grinder ] all still work like new !! 

what you mentioned is not high wattage, and only need a small step down transformer

my advice still is,  do not bring 110/120 volt appliances to a 220/240 country

• Like 2

shadow
4 hours ago, Woolf said:

My advice:

If it is something that you and only you will use, you may be ok. However, if anyone else will use it, it is only a matter of time until poof, it is a goner. 

After being carefully instructed and nodding and repeating "yes, 110 volts", the very next day my FIL filed down the tab on the plug of my dremel tool (it was too wide to fit the receptacle) so he could plug it into 220.

I sent over no less than a dozen 110 volt appliances/tools. Sooner or later ALL got plugged into 220, and one accidentally by me!

• Like 1

Davaoeno

My blender plug is permanently taped to the transformer.  

My coffee grinder plug is permanently taped to another transformer. 

• Like 4

hyaku
On 3/8/2017 at 7:15 PM, M.C.A. said:

I use a Turbo Broiler for my chicken it's a hot air large unit, I can put two smaller chickens or one larger chicken in it.  It's comes out like a rotisserie chicken I marinate with Magic Sarap, garlic powder, salt and pepper.  I start out with the breast down and then finish it up with breast side up, real easy clean up.  Guy came around and sold this 11 liter unit for 600 pesos.

Turbo Broiler.jpg

Used ours yesterday with a corn fed bird. Even the breast is juicy and tender. Partner took a pic to remind her of of temperature test level. Not one gram of monosodium glutamate added to ours. Fine as it is

54523259_315900012402368_9201461089395539968_n.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

hyaku
On 1/27/2019 at 5:49 PM, cruiser9 said:

I'm back in the US for a couple of months, and Amazon just delivered my Ninja Foodi, an air fryer/steamer/pressure cooker combo, and a Range Mate Pro, both of which I will be taking back to Cebu.  So far, just about all the reviews I've read and watched on youtube of both units have been very positive.  However, as NinJa Foodi is not dual voltage, I will need to get a voltage converter/transformer that can handle 1400 watts when I get there.  Now, I'll just need to figure out how to pack this thing as as check-in box/luggage and hoping I won't have any issues going through the airport security.

Cheap 2000 watt converters/transformers are P18,600 on Lazada. Best bring one of those with you too:rolleyes:  

hyaku
15 hours ago, M.C.A. said:

Wolfe has a point and something I never thought of but my 1,500-watt voltage converter strains with my 7.5 quart Hamilton Beach crock pot, you'd be amazed to find these items for sale here and at 220 watts and the savings of not having to ship Balikbayan.

I think the funniest side of this is, people bring 110 items here, have to buy and use a transformer. Yet if you look at where the item was made it will be somewhere in Asia, most likely China. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

hyaku
7 hours ago, shadow said:

If it is something that you and only you will use, you may be ok. However, if anyone else will use it, it is only a matter of time until poof, it is a goner. 

After being carefully instructed and nodding and repeating "yes, 110 volts", the very next day my FIL filed down the tab on the plug of my dremel tool (it was too wide to fit the receptacle) so he could plug it into 220.

I sent over no less than a dozen 110 volt appliances/tools. Sooner or later ALL got plugged into 220, and one accidentally by me!

I  laid out the extension leads and plugged in freinds disk grinder not knowing it was 110. Wow that was the most powerful grinder I ever used. Nearly took off out of my hands!:biggrin_01:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Davaoeno
56 minutes ago, hyaku said:

Cheap 2000 watt converters/transformers are P18,600 on Lazada. Best bring one of those with you too:rolleyes:  

$79 usd on Amazon. 

I bought my 2000 watt transformer in the mall for 4200 pesos . 

Roadhawg
16 minutes ago, Davaoeno said:

$79 usd on Amazon. 

I bought my 2000 watt transformer in the mall for 4200 pesos . 

What mall?