Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
bkb1

My Go To Small Appliance for Cooking almost everything

Recommended Posts

broden

we use our toaster oven(we have a large convection one) far far more than our regular oven. in fact we almost never use our regular oven.
smaller oven uses much less electric and doesn't heat up the house.

using our new smoker which is outside a lot now too and will continue to do so.

 

i'd like to try one of those air fryers some time.. wish i knew someone here who had one.. need to talk my neighbor in to buying one :D

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Richard K

I need to see if I can find one of these here..I wonder if SM has them?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mandingo

I use my air fryer all the time. Excellent go to item for cooking small batches of food. I bought a cheap one off Amazon because wasn't sure if I use it or it'd be collecting dust, paid $90 for my first one and it took a crap after six month. Upgraded to a better unit and been going strong for a year now. I tend to put a dab of olive oil on things I want crispy and "fried", works like a charm. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
lolhahaha

I saw one in S&R in Iloilo, SM has a different model. The one in SM was about 13-14k, the one in S&R was about 7k. Totally different models. The one in S&R looked similar to the picture in the lazada link above. I think you'd want to read up on them before just buying one or the other.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Detour

I've seen them advertised on infommercials and as usual, concerned for there worth.

They do look to good to be true, and never state power usage (1200w?), so stayed away.

Thanks for the review.   Time for a rethink methinks.  :animal0028:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
lamoe
53 minutes ago, Detour said:

I've seen them advertised on infommercials and as usual, concerned for there worth.

They do look to good to be true, and never state power usage (1200w?), so stayed away.

Thanks for the review.   Time for a rethink methinks.  :animal0028:

Somewhat like the "Radar Ranges"  when they first came out - no one was sure - 1 st units were $1,500 about 30? years ago -  now called Microwave oven because people were afraid of  radar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bkb1

A Few Cooking Ideas  For The Air Fryer

Edited by bkb1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AlwaysRt
4 hours ago, bkb1 said:

A few months ago I watched a couple videos on Air Fryers...

If you decide you might like to try an air fryer take into consideration that a larger one will be more versatile. The one I purchased is 3.5 qt and it will hols a 3 lb. roast or a 1.5 or 2 lb. chicken. In retrospect if I were to bye one now I would look for a 5 qt. machine.

 

4 hours ago, broden said:

we use our toaster oven(we have a large convection one) far far more than our regular oven. in fact we almost never use our regular oven.
smaller oven uses much less electric and doesn't heat up the house.

i'd like to try one of those air fryers some time.. wish i knew someone here who had one.. need to talk my neighbor in to buying one :D

 

2 hours ago, Mandingo said:

I use my air fryer all the time. Excellent go to item for cooking small batches of food. I bought a cheap one off Amazon because wasn't sure if I use it or it'd be collecting dust, paid $90 for my first one and it took a crap after six month. Upgraded to a better unit and been going strong for a year now. I tend to put a dab of olive oil on things I want crispy and "fried", works like a charm. 

Any ideas or opinions about the difference in usefulness of air fryer vs convection toaster oven? This question should make obvious I am not a cook. I was already thinking about a toaster oven so I could be able to make a cake, bake chicken, tuna casserole, etc... Currently only have a single induction cooktop and regular 2 slice toaster.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
broden
3 minutes ago, AlwaysRt said:

 

 

Any ideas or opinions about the difference in usefulness of air fryer vs convection toaster oven? This question should make obvious I am not a cook. I was already thinking about a toaster oven so I could be able to make a cake, bake chicken, tuna casserole, etc... Currently only have a single induction cooktop and regular 2 slice toaster.

couldn't compare and contrast but as toaster ovens go we have this one

https://www.amazon.com/Oster-Digital-Countertop-Stainless-TSSTTVDGXL-SHP/dp/B00OXSR486/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1488939897&sr=8-2&keywords=oster+large+toaster+oven

and we are very happy with it.. it's really big can cook a full sized take and bake type pizza in it..

but still firs nicely on the counter top

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
colemanlee

Our gas oven took a crap, instead of replacing it the wife bought a two burner cook top and a toaster oven, she uses the toaster oven three times as much as she ever did the old full oven....for large meat products we use the smoker most all the time...but for casserole's and stuff like that the toaster is great....that air fry is cool, she has been thinking of buying one...glad I read this as I will tell her to get the larger one...

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Monsoon
5 hours ago, broden said:

i'd like to try one of those air fryers some time.. wish i knew someone here who had one.. need to talk my neighbor in to buying one :D

It is basically a small convection oven. Works pretty good though. We use ours mainly for chicken wings. It gets them nice and crispy. Why use all that oil if you don't need to? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
miles-high
3 hours ago, Richard K said:

I need to see if I can find one of these here..I wonder if SM has them?

I bought my Philips brand at Ansons Makati about 3 years ago...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bkb1
1 hour ago, AlwaysRt said:

 

 

Any ideas or opinions about the difference in usefulness of air fryer vs convection toaster oven? This question should make obvious I am not a cook. I was already thinking about a toaster oven so I could be able to make a cake, bake chicken, tuna casserole, etc... Currently only have a single induction cooktop and regular 2 slice toaster.

A convection toaster oven will circulate air inside the oven heating the food more on one side then the other. The food requires turning for even cooking, at least thats the way it works in my ge gas convection oven. This type of convection claims 25% faster cooking time.

An air fryer blows from the top and exhausts the hot air after it passes over the food giving more even heating, claiming up to 50% faster cooking time.

I would guess that anything you could cook in one oven you could cook in the other, with size being a determining factor.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Richard K
6 hours ago, lamoe said:

Somewhat like the "Radar Ranges"  when they first came out - no one was sure - 1 st units were $1,500 about 30? years ago -  now called Microwave oven because people were afraid of  radar

hahaha... I remember those...and they were almost the size of a small refrigerator and weighed almost as much too.. I never liked the way they cook meat tho.. I cooked veggies and heated stuff up.. that is about the extent I ever used one. I don't own one here in RP.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..