Best private school for a 6th grader

Hello Sirs ,  I am retiring  to the Cebu area with my filipina wife and 3 and 11 year old daughters,all dual citizens. Budget is 3,200 a month with 50k in savings . I want to rent a house within an hours drive of Cebu City where my mother in law lives. My issue is finding the best private school for my kids in a safe area. Can someone recommend a school with tuition less than 2 or 3k per year? Location of school will determine where we look for a home. Is north, or south of Cebu City safer to live ? Liloan or Tagatay City?  Oh so many questions I have.  Thank you.

ugly american

Go west to  Toledo or Balamban, St Francis until 12th,  St. Theresa in Cebu City 45 minute drive goes all the when through College.

• Like 1
Headshot
9 hours ago, MartyC said:

Hello Sirs ,  I am retiring  to the Cebu area with my filipina wife and 3 and 11 year old daughters,all dual citizens. Budget is 3,200 a month with 50k in savings . I want to rent a house within an hours drive of Cebu City where my mother in law lives. My issue is finding the best private school for my kids in a safe area. Can someone recommend a school with tuition less than 2 or 3k per year? Location of school will determine where we look for a home. Is north, or south of Cebu City safer to live ? Liloan or Tagatay City?  Oh so many questions I have.  Thank you.

Is your yearly tuition budget in US dollars or in Philippine pesos? If it is based on US dollars, then by far the best school for your money is SHS Ateneo de Cebu ($1,200 to $2,000 US per year depending on grade level). Our daughter goes there, and it is a very good school (even by US standards). It is located in Canduman, Mandaue City, near Talamban. If you want to know more, just say so, and I will give you a more complete review of the school.

http://www.shs-adc.edu.ph/

If your yearly tuition budget is in Philippine pesos, then I have no idea where you would find a "best private school" at that price.

Edited by Headshot
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, Headshot said:

Is your yearly tuition budget in US dollars or in Philippine pesos? If it is based on US dollars, then by far the best school for your money is SHS Ateneo de Cebu ($1,200 to $2,000 US per year depending on grade level). Our daughter goes there, and it is a very good school (even by US standards). It is located in Canduman, Mandaue City, near Talamban. If you want to know more, just say so, and I will give you a more complete review of the school.

http://www.shs-adc.edu.ph/

If your yearly tuition budget is in Philippine pesos, then I have no idea where you would find a "best private school" at that price.

Our budget is in US dollars . It would be great to hear more about Ateneo. I had read a little about that school previously and it sounded really good, then I read somewhere else that Mandaue City may be the higher crime area with some gang activity targeting foreigners? My wife's aunt lives there and she hasn't mentioned anything like that , some first hand information would be great. 

Headshot

There are four parts to the campus at Ateneo. Each is in separate buildings, but all use common facilities as well. All are in a single  enclosed campus with very good security. Vehicles and pedestrians will be checked every time they enter or exit the campus, so there is little chance of students leaving the campus when they shouldn't (especially in the company of any unauthorized adult).

The pre-elementary school (nursery 1, nursery 2 and kindergarten) is a two-story building in an enclosed area with even better security than the rest of the school. I have been amazed at the academic material they covered in nursery and kindergarten. They have learned math that I didn't see in the US until 2nd or third grade. They have even studied English grammar (nouns, verbs, adjectives and adverbs). They have art, music and reading as well. My daughter also takes piano lessons and is a member of the choir. She has finished her final exams (three full days), and will now move up to 1st grade. The elementary school (grades 1-6) is in a four-story building across the street from the pre-elementary. Students can come and go from the elementary building into the main campus. Just like the pre-elementary school, you can expect a highly-accelerated education in the elementary school. In fact, you can expect an accelerated education throughout all four divisions.

The secondary school (grades 7-10) Is in a co-joined building to the elementary (separated by administrative offices and common areas). The senior high school (grades 11-12) is in a separate four-story building across the street from the secondary building. Up the street (near gate 1) is a technology building. Those secondary and senior high students who wish to pursue trades and technology rather than a strict academic college-bound curriculum, will have some of their classes in this building.

There is also a huge gymnasium (with a pool), a huge assembly hall (that can fit the entire student population plus parents) and a sports complex behind the main school buildings. They are also building a new chapel on campus (this is a Catholic school after all) at one end of the parking lot in front of the main buildings.

All in all, this is probably the largest campus on Cebu. All facilities are for use by student only. You must have passes (annual windshield stickers) to get on and off campus. All students and staff wear ID cards around their necks, so it is very easy to identify those who belong their. Parents are allowed to come and go freely, but are encouraged to let their children develop independence at the school.

The Ateneo schools were established in Manila, Cebu, Iloilo and Davao by Catholic Jesuit priests who had fled mainland China after the communist takeover in the late 1940's and early 1950's (along with a lot of Chinese who also fled to the Philippines). For that reason, there is a lot of Chinese influence in the Ateneo schools. Mandarin is taught at all levels from nursery 1 to 12th grade. However, all other classes are taught in English. I find this to be a huge advantage to this school, since understanding Chinese (as well as being fluent in English) can give a person an advantage in today's business world. If you add Spanish to those languages, you could pretty much write your own ticket in international business. For any student entering the school in an advanced grade (including 6th grade), I would recommend that you get them a tutor for Mandarin, so they can attempt to catch up. Students are fairly competitive at Ateneo, but they are pretty strict on bullying, so at least that won't be a problem.

I don't know what else you would like to know about Ateneo. Ask specific questions, and I will try to answer them.

Headshot
8 hours ago, MartyC said:

I read somewhere else that Mandaue City may be the higher crime area with some gang activity targeting foreigners? My wife's aunt lives there and she hasn't mentioned anything like that , some first hand information would be great. 

I have lived in Mandaue City for almost seven years, and I have NEVER heard of any foreigners being targeted by gangs. In fact, I have never seen anybody in my area of Mandaue City that I would identify as a gang member. Gangs are called fraternities here (not to be confused with college fraternities in the US), and they are pretty obvious if they are present. Cebu metro area had a bigger gang problem seven years ago when they really started cracking down on them in all of the cities here. We first lived in Talisay City (before we moved to Mandaue), and the gang problem was obvious there.

The only bitches that I have about Mandaue City is the traffic congestion (mostly caused by brainless traffic enforcers trying to direct traffic) an a lack of, or inadequate, basic infrastructure, such as streets and sidewalks adequate for existing traffic, sewage collection and treatment, underground communication and power lines (it's an overhead rat's nest here), and reliable culinary water distribution (but those are problems throughout the Philippines).

You should know, though that many people living in Banilad and Talamban barangays (which are political divisions within a city) in Cebu City, Consolacion, Lilo-an and towns north of there send their children to Ateneo along with many living in Mandaue City. There are school buses, if you want to avail of that service (extra charge), which will pick up from pretty much anywhere in the metro area. On a good day, it takes 7 minutes to get from our home to the Ateneo campus, but on a bad day (due to traffic problems), that same route can take 30 minutes or more. Obviously, the further you live from the school, the longer the trip will be.

Edited by Headshot
ugly american

Ateneo School Cebu, we have a niece who teaches there, I was under the impression that it is for the better to do families  who have very bright children, almost gifted. I have not visited the school proper.  Our niece also tutors English to Japanese and Korean students and businessmen.  My wife has told me if your child has the ability to be admitted grab it.

Again no personal knowledge but advice from my wife is best not ignored. (at least by me)  Good luck and god bless you and yours. 

Headshot
2 hours ago, ugly american said:

Ateneo School Cebu, we have a niece who teaches there, I was under the impression that it is for the better to do families  who have very bright children, almost gifted.

My wife has told me if your child has the ability to be admitted grab it.

Because most Filipino family's can't afford the tuition, the first part of your first statement is probably true. Students are mostly from professional families. However, they are NOT, on average, gifted. They are mostly just normal children, and you will find the same spectrum of intelligence and personality that you will find in any student population. There is an admission test, so the school does have a minimum intelligence required of students, and if students cannot keep up with the work in class (can't make passing grades), they may be asked to leave. That is the case with most of the better schools here.

I would definitely agree with your wife on grabbing the opportunity to attend at Ateneo.

Headshot

BTW, for the OP, in case you didn't know, the school year here goes from approximately mid-June through approximately mid-March. Summer vacation here corresponds with the dry season, rather than the actual summer months. It is one of those things about the Tropics that you have to get used to if you are going to live here.

Thank you both so much for your responses , I have spent months searching online and stressing over where to begin when we arrive in August , what a relief ! Sacred heart Ateneo it will be for sure.  Can you suggest any accommodations around there to stay for a few weeks while we look for a rental home? On visits we usually stay at the Pacific Tourist Inn . Not the greatest  but the rooms are large with 2 beds , AC and a ref for 1000 php per night ,but that's just because we don't know any better places to stay. Not looking for a huge upgrade , maybe $50 US per night? Should I be starting a new topic with new questions or is it ok here? You guys are awesome !

Paul
8 minutes ago, MartyC said:

Should I be starting a new topic with new questions or is it ok here?

It's best to start a new topic if the new post would take the topic, off topic, on a tangent. 

• Like 1
RogerDuMond
On 3/8/2017 at 0:12 AM, ugly american said:

Go west to  Toledo or Balamban, St Francis until 12th,  St. Theresa in Cebu City 45 minute drive goes all the when through College.

Unless his daughter speaks fluent Visayan, I would avoid St. Francis in Balamban.