TV....options

sierra01

I'm about to move into a house in Maguikay and I'm not sure what to do about TV and broadband.  It's a new house so a blank canvas.

TV..English language.  I love motor sport especially F1 and the BTCC.  History. Geography. Bit of comedy (without canned laughter). Documentaries. Stuff like that.

Reasonably fast broadband and wifi.  Not too low a cap.  Don't need a home phone.

Any advice much appreiated

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sierra01

• Rebuilder86

• Woolf

• fordtech

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A dedicated speedtest port? That's funny.

I am fairly happy with the TV service I get from Sky Cable. They have a pretty broad selection of channels to choose from (certainly enough to keep me and my family entertained). You can probably find

If you can get sky cable, it is worth having look at http://www.mysky.com.ph/onesky check the onesky lite  8 Mb/s and multi channels, 999 each month cap at 40 GB pr month fox sport

Posted Images

Rebuilder86

my dad has CIGNAL HD 999 package and i can confirm is broadcasts all the stuff ppl like you and i like. 
And good english news channels too!
what is reasonably fast broadband to you?
PLDT have fiber to the house down that way now. we get a good steady 100Mbit and unlimited data with them in Consolacion.

Headshot

I am fairly happy with the TV service I get from Sky Cable. They have a pretty broad selection of channels to choose from (certainly enough to keep me and my family entertained). You can probably find whatever you are looking for in their channel list. They have broadband as well, but I don't use it, since I have Globe phone and internet in my home, which I am also fairly happy with. Both of these services (TV and phone/internet) go out from time to time, but that just seems to be normal here. If you look at the way they run their cables, it becomes apparent why there are outages. Neither company has a service hotline that is worth a damn (they don't seem to answer their phones), so when I do have an outage, I have to go into their offices to schedule maintenance. After I report a problem, they usually have it fixed within about 24 hours. At least that is how its been up until now.

• Like 1

If you can get sky cable, it is worth having look at

http://www.mysky.com.ph/onesky

check the onesky lite  8 Mb/s and multi channels, 999 each month

cap at 40 GB pr month

fox sports + fox sports 2 & 3   add on for 150 php extra

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Woolf said:

If you can get sky cable, it is worth having look at

http://www.mysky.com.ph/onesky

check the onesky lite  8 Mb/s and multi channels, 999 each month

cap at 40 GB pr month

fox sports + fox sports 2 & 3   add on for 150 php extra

Does Fox have F1 with English commentary?  Live or with recorded highlights?

4 minutes ago, sierra01 said:

Does Fox have F1 with English commentary?  Live or with recorded highlights?

I hope so

That is what I am counting on

I just got the sky cable less than a week ago so I do not know yet

Edited by Woolf
1 hour ago, Headshot said:

I am fairly happy with the TV service I get from Sky Cable. They have a pretty broad selection of channels to choose from (certainly enough to keep me and my family entertained). You can probably find whatever you are looking for in their channel list. They have broadband as well, but I don't use it, since I have Globe phone and internet in my home, which I am also fairly happy with. Both of these services (TV and phone/internet) go out from time to time, but that just seems to be normal here. If you look at the way they run their cables, it becomes apparent why there are outages. Neither company has a service hotline that is worth a damn (they don't seem to answer their phones), so when I do have an outage, I have to go into their offices to schedule maintenance. After I report a problem, they usually have it fixed within about 24 hours. At least that is how its been up until now.

I've had a look at the Sky website, are they part of Rupert Murdochs empire?  Their prices suggest they might be lol

I have no idea

but for 999 php a month for 8 Mb/s + the tv channels I think it is a good price

I had globe before was only 2 Mb/s  and NO tv  cost 1099 php   hmm

Rebuilder86

I hadnt seen this sky product before. If there is cable near u then this would be ur best bet. There is a skycable branch in mandaue but if theres one thing ive learnt living here, its that cebuanos spend more money on looking like a service provider than actually providing the service. So dont expect a branch to mean its available. Id imagin it would be only in the cbd. Cable costs alot to lay. ( or in this case hang from lightpoles :p)

cannot compare globe to any kind of cable, both completely different technologies. Globe is as fast as ur telephone line or cell tower reception can handle, cable speed is dependant on the plan u select and doesnt use the phone lines to ur house as such.

Also there is no mention on the sky website of the installation fee. It couldnt be free surely?

9 minutes ago, Rebuilder86 said:

Also there is no mention on the sky website of the installation fee. It couldnt be free surely?

No ???

how about this from the link I provided earlier

sky installation fee.png

Edited by Woolf
Rebuilder86

Yep just found it. Typical telco putting it in a seperate box away from the man cost info haha.

fukn cheap tho! Wonder what the actual speeds are.

in this country, "up to" means within the borders of the entire nation, at the closest point to the main node, and with no other user accessing the internet. Ie, when pugs fly haha.

i hate seeing "up to" speeds, they mean nothing and promote a product with a meaningless figure.

I had the sky installed last thursday

btw the guys knew what they were doing from they arrived until finished

1 hour, that was with test of tv channels and test of the internet connection speed

papers signed

Did a speedtest.net just now 

cebu sky speedtest server   down 7.7 Mb/s  up 1 Mb/s

speedtest server in denmark   down 7.7 Mb/s  up 0.7 Mb/s

that is pretty good for a 8 Mb/s connection

Edited by Woolf
  • Like 1
Rebuilder86

Thats incredible.

that is one of the lowest speed plans tho. Anyone shed any light on any other plans by them?

strongly suggest monitoring it over time, use testmy.net and create an account to log ur own test results once a day at the same time everyday. 

Edited by Rebuilder86

1 minute ago, Rebuilder86 said:

Thats incredible.

strongly suggest monitoring it over time, use testmy.net and creat an account to log ur own test results once a day at the same time everyday. 

I feel no need for that,  sky broadband works for me here

Rebuilder86

You said you just had it installed right??
I have personal experience with 2 cases ( 2 seperate major suppliers here) of "bait and switch" sales tactics from telcos here. I assure you its very common :(
I wont mention my telco, but look at my previous posts.
I now monitor my connection using payware live speedtesting software (29 aud dollars a year) and every time i see them throttling me, i literally jump on facebook chat and speak to one of their friendly staff and tell them to stop it. then they put it back for a couple of days and i have to do it again.

Quite amazing that you can actually talk to someone from the Telco on facebook tho!