Three Earthquakes Today in Davao City 23 Feb 2017

Tullioz

One this morning (4.7), one this afternoon (2.9), and one this evening (4.0). 

http://www.phivolcs.dost.gov.ph/html/update_SOEPD/EQLatest.html

earth3.jpg.4f22e0028a962d6da731152e06727a22.jpg

Reported Intensities:

Intensity IV - Davao City
Intensity III - Montevista, Compostella Valley

earth2.jpg.a345fb6334b1bbc84fcae70f3f9122c6.jpg

Reported Intensities:

Intensity III - Davao City

earth1.jpg.9847012eb71a5255750433fc19f9fe16.jpg

Reported Intensities:

Intensity III - Davao City

Nothing major, but it's the first time since living here that I have felt three earthquakes in a single day. The second two may have just been aftershocks from the one this morning. 

The story below is from before the one this evening. 

2 women injured after twin quakes in Davao City
http://davaotoday.com/main/environment/2-women-injured-after-twin-quakes-in-davao-city/

Edited by Tullioz
  • Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
JamesMusslewhite

Not too uncommon here in the Surigao City area to have multiple quakes within a 24 hour period.  

JamesMusslewhite

Surigao City was hit with a 5.4 quake Sunday morning which knocked out our power until Thursday afternoon. Reports said we had 200 after shocks before the last 5.4 hit. Still fell light jingles from time to time but nothing major. The city waterworks is still down so no running water for Surigao City residents. Top of all of that it was pretty much rained for the last two weeks making it difficult for farmers and fishermen so food is at a premium in the markets due to large demands and shortened supply. Hopefully all will settle down now and the quakes will stop. A lot of citizens are on edge right now due to the stress and fears right now, but things certainly could have been a lot worse. 

• Like 1
liquido
11 hours ago, JamesMusslewhite said:

Surigao City was hit with a 5.4 quake Sunday morning which knocked out our power until Thursday afternoon. Reports said we had 200 after shocks before the last 5.4 hit. Still fell light jingles from time to time but nothing major. The city waterworks is still down so no running water for Surigao City residents. Top of all of that it was pretty much rained for the last two weeks making it difficult for farmers and fishermen so food is at a premium in the markets due to large demands and shortened supply. Hopefully all will settle down now and the quakes will stop. A lot of citizens are on edge right now due to the stress and fears right now, but things certainly could have been a lot worse. 

I was concerned about a friend living in that area but for some reason this one site i look at does not list it?

http://www.phivolcs.dost.gov.ph/html/update_SOEPD/EQLatest.html

It's listed as 5.9 on March 5, 2017

05 Mar 2017 - 08:08 AM  09.76  125.38  013  5.9  013 km S 82° W of Surigao City.

Edited by Paul
Sorted format.
JamesMusslewhite
1 hour ago, Raven said:

It's listed as 5.9 on March 5, 2017

05 Mar 2017 - 08:08 AM  09.76  125.38  013  5.9  013 km S 82° W of Surigao City

The radio reported it as 5.4 so it was more intense then reported. The power went out almost instantly when it hit Sunday morning were I was staying in the city, and when I returned back here to the island we were in brownout until Thursday afternoon, so we were unable to get any real information as to magnitude of the quake. This area was already classified 'under calamity' when this last quake hit so I guess we are now classified 'UC2'. :biggrin_01:

Both quakes hit at times which helped prevent much larger number of people being injured or killed. The 7.2 hit late evening when all the stores, schools and businesses were closed so these structures were empty and less foot traffic on the streets. The 5.9 hit early Sunday morning before most businesses opened. So for the most part people were home and not crowded into malls, stores, offices and classrooms all trying to stampede towards exits and stairwells or walking under structures with pieces of concrete, tiles and broken glass raining down or collapsing. There could have been carnage but due to the time of the two quakes there were few deaths and injuries. 

• Like 1