Expat Health Care (US Citizen) - Pre Existing Conditions

TheWhiteKnight
1 hour ago, shadow said:

Two years  ago I had a heart attack. Silliman would not admit me without P50,000 up front. Holy Child admitted me and did not ask for money until three days later when they released me from ICU. So some private hospitals will admit a Kano without money up front, others will not. If I were Filipino I doubt Holy Child would have been so accommodating.

You didn't have P50K to provide on hand in cash or credit ?

Would PhilHealth have gotten you admitted to Silliman?

What was the total cost of your care? You are good now (I hope)?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TheWhiteKnight

• The Cold War Kid

• Jawny

• shadow

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well, luckily I had another hospital option, and was quite pleased with the cheaper hospital. I've been in both Silliman and Holy Child now, and the nursing staff at Holy Child is far superior to Sill

I just looked at the cards and what they offer. To me its a pretty sleazy way of  describing what they offer. A Dengue card- with 10,000 coverage for accidental dismemberment ?  Do lots of people

My solution is to carry a credit card plus the details of my international health insurance. The latter is reimbursement only, of course.

shadow
56 minutes ago, TheWhiteKnight said:

You didn't have P50K to provide on hand in cash or credit ?

Would PhilHealth have gotten you admitted to Silliman?

What was the total cost of your care? You are good now (I hope)?

1) No

2) Maybe

3) Just over P100,000, would probably have been P200,000 at Silliman

4) Good to go

• Like 2
USMC-Retired

Shadow I had the same issue with my wife on a Saturday night. She had gone into premature labor and had eclampsia seizures.  This was 5 years ago but we needed a large sum 30k so they would admit her. She would have died along with my son with out being admitted.  I left her in the emergency room while I collected funds.  

• Like 1
shadow
29 minutes ago, USMC-Retired said:

Shadow I had the same issue with my wife on a Saturday night. She had gone into premature labor and had eclampsia seizures.  This was 5 years ago but we needed a large sum 30k so they would admit her. She would have died along with my son with out being admitted.  I left her in the emergency room while I collected funds.  

Well, luckily I had another hospital option, and was quite pleased with the cheaper hospital. I've been in both Silliman and Holy Child now, and the nursing staff at Holy Child is far superior to Silliman. Holy Child actually made me feel like they cared, Silliman did not give me that impression the time I spent three days with them, all they seemed to care about was the padded bill being paid up every day.

• Like 3

My solution is to carry a credit card plus the details of my international health insurance. The latter is reimbursement only, of course.

• Like 2
  • Administrator
Salty Dog

2 hours ago, Sven said:

That's what saved my ass when my Hospital Bill came to 1.3 million pesos. I paid it all with a credit card.

Most of it was reimbursed by TRICARE Overseas within a few months.

• Like 1

I would never retire or settle down here w/o a health care including evacuation (in case you need a more serious care and you have to go to a "better" hospital in HK or Singapore).  Most people say it is cheap to live here, but you need to also take health care into account. I would set aside around 15-20k/month and add it to my monthly living costs (and hope I would never use it). Especially older people need to look at this closely (some might even have chronic illness, which will really eat into your budget w/o health care or make your live miserable).

You will do the same if you own a house here and get an house insurance to cover at least the basic events (like fire, flooding) - so it is only reasonable that you have a good health insurance for you!

TheWhiteKnight
4 minutes ago, Cgu said:

I would never retire or settle down here w/o a health care including evacuation (in case you need a more serious care and you have to go to a "better" hospital in HK or Singapore).  Most people say it is cheap to live here, but you need to also take health care into account. I would set aside around 15-20k/month and add it to my monthly living costs (and hope I would never use it). Especially older people need to look at this closely (some might even have chronic illness, which will really eat into your budget w/o health care or make your live miserable).

You will do the same if you own a house here and get an house insurance to cover at least the basic events (like fire, flooding) - so it is only reasonable that you have a good health insurance for you!

Are you 100% certain that is YOU decide you want to be evacuated to another city that it will be available? Most of those plans do not read like that, it still up to someone else who would just say that manila is good enough. I think its a false sense of security at best.

2 hours ago, TheWhiteKnight said:

Are you 100% certain that is YOU decide you want to be evacuated to another city that it will be available? Most of those plans do not read like that, it still up to someone else who would just say that manila is good enough. I think its a false sense of security at best.

No, I am not sure, but I think there might be a good chance that you get same quality which you are used to - of course evacuation would mean that something very serious happens.

My current insurance would evacuate me straight away - no questions asked - even if not needed. As soon as I would be able travel they would evacuate me. They want to have control over the costs and here in the Philippines they would not have it.