Expat Health Care (US Citizen) - Pre Existing Conditions

shadow
13 hours ago, The Cold War Kid said:

I read how they will let you die if you can't pay up front.  I don't believe that - not for 1 second.

Well I hope you never have to find this out the hard way. Some hospitals will treat you without cash up front, others will let you bleed to death on the steps. As a foreigner, your chances are better than a local at getting treated, but don't bet your life on it.

• Like 2
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TheWhiteKnight

• The Cold War Kid

• Jawny

• shadow

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well, luckily I had another hospital option, and was quite pleased with the cheaper hospital. I've been in both Silliman and Holy Child now, and the nursing staff at Holy Child is far superior to Sill

I just looked at the cards and what they offer. To me its a pretty sleazy way of  describing what they offer. A Dengue card- with 10,000 coverage for accidental dismemberment ?  Do lots of people

My solution is to carry a credit card plus the details of my international health insurance. The latter is reimbursement only, of course.

The Cold War Kid
23 minutes ago, shadow said:

Well I hope you never have to find this out the hard way. Some hospitals will treat you without cash up front, others will let you bleed to death on the steps. As a foreigner, your chances are better than a local at getting treated, but don't bet your life on it.

I really want to find a solution - just like everyone else in here.

Can you still read the original thread?  It says I am banned from it?

shadow
7 minutes ago, The Cold War Kid said:

I really want to find a solution - just like everyone else in here.

Can you still read the original thread?  It says I am banned from it?

If I knew the name of the thread and where it was posted, I could read it. But I don't really have the time this morning to look for anything. I'm gone for a couple of hours, starting now.

The Cold War Kid
43 minutes ago, Jawny said:

https://www.philhealth.gov.ph/benefits/

if Philhealth is used as insurance, there are some benefits which will match the cost.  Dialysis, blood transfusions etc.  of course, the devil is in the details, so to recover the ₽17000 annual cost, someone may have to be pretty sick.  

One benefit of Philhealth is hosptials will admit patients with Philhealth but may demand cash deposits for others. 

aha - i knew if i kept reading i would find something...  here it is.

if you're sure they will admit on the presentation of philhealth?

scenario:  philhealth gets me admitted, they let me call the states that night, my limit on my card gets raised then, later, cigna repays the charges

iffy, i know, but something is better than nothing?

USMC-Retired
15 hours ago, The Cold War Kid said:

I read how they will let you die if you can't pay up front.  I don't believe that - not for 1 second.

More foolish talk you will die if you can not pay.  They will let you die.  How it works in the Philippines is very simple.  The Emergency room will treat to the point of saying you must be admitted.  They do no more then that.  If you can not pay to be admitted they will send you to find funds or you can chose to sit in the emergency room.  There have been numerous times people leave the hospital to die on the way home.  My Cousin in law was stabbed numerous times and they stitched him up he walked out of the emergency room to die at home from blood loss.  He had no money to pay the bill for admission.  

Phil Health will pay for only Public Hospitals at admission.  Not your private hospitals.  Yes the I am sure your Public Hospital will admit you.  

Your best bet no matter the situation is have cash period.  Your US insurance may pay you later and it may help.  There was a guy that had a stroke recently and it took an act of God almost to secure his funds for continued treatment.  JD was his name I believe and he also had insurance.  It was not good for him and placed many under stress to care for him.  

Edited by USMC-Retired
Davaoeno
30 minutes ago, TheWhiteKnight said:

I'm thinking about getting one of these cards instead, it seems like it should get you admitted (someone mentioned earlier I think):

https://www.philcare.com.ph/personal/

I just looked at the cards and what they offer. To me its a pretty sleazy way of  describing what they offer.

A Dengue card- with 10,000 coverage for accidental dismemberment ?  Do lots of people with Dengue get dismembered as a result?

A card offering 30,000 pesos coverage- but only for outpatient services.

etc etc    For me most of the detail  is in what they either exclude or don't say .  [ but then I was an insurance litigator in a previous life lol ]

Edited by Davaoeno
  • Like 2
Jawny
1 hour ago, The Cold War Kid said:

aha - i knew if i kept reading i would find something...  here it is.

if you're sure they will admit on the presentation of philhealth?

scenario:  philhealth gets me admitted, they let me call the states that night, my limit on my card gets raised then, later, cigna repays the charges

iffy, i know, but something is better than nothing?

I know that Philhealth coverage (having Philhealth) will allow individuals to be admitted.  Two family members I have (not foreigners) were admitted to private hospitals for care.  One for surgery and one for treatment for dengue.  In one instance, we had to run around getting evidence he was covered by Philhealth as he had no card or such as that.  Once proof was provided, admission was allowed.

I really don't follow your description but assume you are referring to a credit card limit.  Maybe a plan would be to increase the limit now, ahead of the possible need?  

Keep in mind your insurance (Cigna?) may want to know what was covered (paid for) by Philhealth.  I know in my own insurance claim forms I am expected to indicate if other insurance was available and used, typically referring to accident insurance such as what is available with automobile insurance.  

This may result in you having to wait until the Philhealth claim is completely processed and paid before the Cigna claim will be processed.  I'm not certain of this, but something to consider when you are looking into insurance coverage.

TheWhiteKnight

There are a tons of cards on there, and they are pretty affordable, also available from other companies. I guess it would be wise to check your local hospitals to make sure they take PhilCare but alot do.

USMC-Retired
10 minutes ago, Jawny said:

Two family members I have (not foreigners) were admitted to private hospitals for care.  

Make sure they have the Phil Health Sign when you go in or you may be in for sticker shock.  Most Filipinos know which ones accept it and do not.    

Edited by USMC-Retired
The Cold War Kid
1 hour ago, USMC-Retired said:

Make sure they have the Phil Health Sign when you go in or you may be in for sticker shock.  Most Filipinos know which ones accept it and do not.    

The way I get it, public health care is free there.  I went to a public health facility in Anda and they literally refused payment.  It was not a hospital - just a little clinic.

One might extend this - philhealth is made to operate in the public health arena - not expensive private hospitals.  When used there it pays much more as the cost is much less.  That would explain the differing assessments of how much it pays...

You could hop a jet to guam, where I've heard medicare and US insurance are accepted (it being a US territory).  Apparently it's not too far.

Anyway, my current plan is to locate a public hospital in my small town, then go there if and when...

When I'm on the ground I will research this further.  If I can find information that might be helpful I will report it here. If everyone does this we just might define the best way to proceed, in light of the circumstances :)

Jawny
38 minutes ago, The Cold War Kid said:

The way I get it, public health care is free there.  I went to a public health facility in Anda and they literally refused payment.  It was not a hospital - just a little clinic.

One might extend this - philhealth is made to operate in the public health arena - not expensive private hospitals.  When used there it pays much more as the cost is much less.  That would explain the differing assessments of how much it pays...

You could hop a jet to guam, where I've heard medicare and US insurance are accepted (it being a US territory).  Apparently it's not too far.

Anyway, my current plan is to locate a public hospital in my small town, then go there if and when...

When I'm on the ground I will research this further.  If I can find information that might be helpful I will report it here. If everyone does this we just might define the best way to proceed, in light of the circumstances :)

If you went to a free clinic, I'm pretty sure that is what is pretty common here in some (not all, barangays). These facilities, when available, are intended for the community to get some health counseling, childhood immunizations, screenings of various sorts and if they have bandages or such, they'll help out.  Be aware, these are not universal, and "free" is relative.  Speaking of which, some of my own relatives were turned away for childhood immunizations for their newborns and told there was a shortage and "you have a wealthy relative, go to a private doctor". 

In effect, it is hit and miss and not really intended as a medical facility such as a hospital. 

Be aware, not all public hospitals are equal and you may show up with an injury and have to send someone to buy the thread and needle for stitches.  It is a good idea for you to pay a visit to the local  hospital so you get a sense of what you can expect in the event of an emergency.  We have a public hospital nearby that many in the community avoid as so many go in sick and come out Dead. 

Not sure how you've figured out the way the distribution of payments is determined between public and private hospitals. From what I've experienced, the discounts and payments apply based upon a schedule, not where the services are provided.  

Guam is an option, but so is a trip to another city with better facilities.  I'm not sure I'd want to spend a lot on the costs of a Guam trip so I can save in my medical care.  

• Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon
2 hours ago, Davaoeno said:

To me its a pretty sleazy way of  describing what they offer.

There are a few sleazy 'health card' type things being peddled in the Philippines. 

I guess they are regulated by the same governmental body that allows the "grow taller tablets" to be advertised on late night television. 

• Like 1
shadow
2 hours ago, The Cold War Kid said:

When you are "on the ground", go see what the ground looks like inside the local public hospital. The ground inside the public hospital in Dumaguete (NOPH) has 300 people on cots "on the ground" (in the hallway), waiting for a spot on a real bed, in a ward designed for 40 that is currently holding 400. Private rooms are few and are reserved for the governor, the mayor, and their families. There are cobwebs inside the operating room that have been there since General MacArthur visited in 1941. This is not a place to get treated, this is a place to go to die. They will surely admit you based on your having Philhealth alone, but you will hopefully quickly be able to figure out that you do not belong there, and are not wanted there. 

My wife's Mother died in her arms in that hallway, while my wife frantically tried her best to get someone, anyone, to help her. She was having an asthma attack, and drowned in her own phlegm, as there was nobody there sharp enough to tell her to roll her on her side so she spit the phlegm out and hopefully could breathe again. She had Philhealth.

That is a taste of what it is like "on the ground" in Dumaguete public hospital. It gets worse there, much worse, but I don't have time to tell the story.

Two years  ago I had a heart attack. Silliman would not admit me without P50,000 up front. Holy Child admitted me and did not ask for money until three days later when they released me from ICU. So some private hospitals will admit a Kano without money up front, others will not. If I were Filipino I doubt Holy Child would have been so accommodating.

• Like 2
TheWhiteKnight
3 hours ago, Monsoon said:

There are a few sleazy 'health card' type things being peddled in the Philippines. 

I guess they are regulated by the same governmental body that allows the "grow taller tablets" to be advertised on late night television. 

Can you guys elaborate on this though...are you saying all those cards are worthless (basically just to guarantee admission until you can sort the rest of it out), or they just market them poorly.