Expat Health Care (US Citizen) - Pre Existing Conditions

TheWhiteKnight
20 minutes ago, The Cold War Kid said:

Well, headshot, I hope u don't think I am making it up?   ?

Suddenly I am banned from reading the original, now closed thread?  Else I would respond with a link to that post.

Anyway, someone said it was still a good deal in that thread.  And so I asked.

All of which leaves me right where I was, which is nowhere.  My medicare supplement will pay 80% but I have to pay up front, then they will reimburse.  I have a hard limit of $200 a day on my debit card, to avoid being ripped off.... I could get a credit card but, unlike most, I read the application - roflmao!  No way in he77 I sign anything like that!

I'm amazingly healthy, considering how ancient I am :)  I take good pills - what can I say?  PQQ and CO-Q10 and Piracetam...  Still, an accident might happen?

Apparently, the community has yet to find an answer to this?  And so it is in the US, as well, if you're not 65+ years old.  Even then... it can be dicy.

I take it a joe (that's what they call us - lol) who is a senior citizen does not get it for free?

I think I know the PH people... at least a little.  I admire them.  I am going there because of them - well, that and my money actually buys something there. 

I read how they will let you die if you can't pay up front.  I don't believe that - not for 1 second. Maybe you can't get a triple bypass (or whatever) but when I was in Anda (on bohol) I got a little sick and the place refused to even take my money.  THAT about gave me a heart attack - right there - a DOCTOR, refusing money?  I had to make a donation.  So I did - 500 pesos and they were grateful!

There are some really mean people in here.  So much so that now I am leery of making physical contact with the "expat community." 

I don't see why PH even puts up with "us."  In Dumaguete the situation is really bad for "us" because of a few assholes - who are not even americans at all.  But everybody is laying for you - even the laundry place!

It's horrible to think what we teach the gentle, beautiful people of PH is what a redneck is...  So very sad.

Well, this time *I CAN* do something about it, and *I WILL.*  I will let my light shine on them - all of them.  I will show them that not all joes are nasty people.  Who will help me?

While it's true the expats are the worst thing about living in the Philippines, you are still showing a lot of naivety. Perhaps some locations let YOU a foreigner die without prepayment, but that's only because they think we will be good for it, and your doctor in bohol didn't want to ask for the real price of the visit which was probably 200-300, instead refused payment until you DONATED 500, more than you would have paid normally. See how that works?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TheWhiteKnight

• The Cold War Kid

• Jawny

• shadow

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well, luckily I had another hospital option, and was quite pleased with the cheaper hospital. I've been in both Silliman and Holy Child now, and the nursing staff at Holy Child is far superior to Sill

I just looked at the cards and what they offer. To me its a pretty sleazy way of  describing what they offer. A Dengue card- with 10,000 coverage for accidental dismemberment ?  Do lots of people

My solution is to carry a credit card plus the details of my international health insurance. The latter is reimbursement only, of course.

Headshot
4 hours ago, The Cold War Kid said:

Well, headshot, I hope u don't think I am making it up?

No. I don't think you made anything up. I just don't think that Philhealth normally pays out a very large percentage of the bill. It seems that it happens every once in a while, but it is uncommon in my experience.

4 hours ago, The Cold War Kid said:

I'm amazingly healthy, considering how ancient I am :)  I take good pills - what can I say?  PQQ and CO-Q10 and Piracetam...  Still, an accident might happen?

A lot of things can adversely affect your health if you are living here. There are a lot of nasty diseases and parasites here that most of us have no immunity to, and that can knock you down in a matter of hours. A little over a year ago, I was pretty healthy, but I had an auto accident. Nobody was injured, but I had to spend a couple of hours in the police station getting it straightened out (the other driver was found to be at fault). In the police station, there were mosquitoes flying all over the place. I got bitten, and I came down with Dengue Fever (a type of hemorrhagic fever that causes you to bleed internally and kills off your blood cells). There are several strains of Dengue Fever, and some are more serious than others.

I spent over a week in the hospital, and the infection damaged my heart muscle to the point that the lower half of my heart muscle was no longer pumping blood. Because of that, I had to go to the US to get an implant put in that keeps my heart beating, and tracks my heart function continuously. In the US, my insurance (Tricare and Medicare) covered 100%  of the cost. If I had let my doctor here treat me (go ahead with the implant), Tricare wouldn't have covered anything either because the doctors here don't understand insurance rules. Medicare won't cover anything outside of the US, so that is a non-starter. Most healthcare is relatively cheap here, but the major stuff can still bankrupt you. If you can make it to the US for something major, you should.

Edited by Headshot
The Cold War Kid
5 hours ago, TheWhiteKnight said:

While it's true the expats are the worst thing about living in the Philippines, you are still showing a lot of naivety. Perhaps some locations let YOU a foreigner die without prepayment, but that's only because they think we will be good for it, and your doctor in bohol didn't want to ask for the real price of the visit which was probably 200-300, instead refused payment until you DONATED 500, more than you would have paid normally. See how that works?

Mr. Knight, could it be that u r judging events in PH with the bias, caused by your too many years in the united police states?  You might ask yourself that?

Give the PH people a chance - please don't treat them as if they were americans... 'cause they're not, believe me.  I said it before and I'll say it again - the vast majority of the PH people are gentle and beautiful.  Considering them as americans will guarantee that you will never see that... and that would be a shame :(

Edited by The Cold War Kid
  • Like 1
The Cold War Kid
1 hour ago, Headshot said:

No. I don't think you made anything up. I just don't think that Philhealth normally pays out a very large percentage of the bill. It seems that it happens every once in a while, but it is uncommon in my experience.

A lot of things can adversely affect your health if you are living here. There are a lot of nasty diseases and parasites here that most of us have no immunity to, and that can knock you down in a matter of hours. A little over a year ago, I was pretty healthy, but I had an auto accident. Nobody was injured, but I had to spend a couple of hours in the police station getting it straightened out (the other driver was found to be at fault). In the police station, there were mosquitoes flying all over the place. I got bitten, and I came down with Dengue Fever (a type of hemorrhagic fever that causes you to bleed internally and kills off your blood cells). There are several strains of Dengue Fever, and some are more serious than others.

I spent over a week in the hospital, and the infection damaged my heart muscle to the point that the lower half of my heart muscle was no longer pumping blood. Because of that, I had to go to the US to get an implant put in that keeps my heart beating, and tracks my heart function continuously. In the US, my insurance (Tricare and Medicare) covered 100%  of the cost. If I had let my doctor here treat me (go ahead with the implant), Tricare wouldn't have covered anything either because the doctors here don't understand insurance rules. Medicare won't cover anything outside of the US, so that is a non-starter. Most healthcare is relatively cheap here, but the major stuff can still bankrupt you. If you can make it to the US for something major, you should.

Sir, if you have a medicare supplement it will cover 80% - with the nasty caveat that you will have to pay up front then they will reimburse.

I'm really sorry to hear of your injury and it seems ironic that it happened in a police station.  I am heartened that any accident was adjudged not to be your fault, though.

Had you suffered from dengue before?  I have been given to understand that only "serious dengue" is really dangerous (as in permanent damage) and usually it only occurs after repeated infections with the regular kind?  Maybe you had the regular kind and were not aware of it?  Most people do not get really sick from it, or so they say.

Mosquitos usually bite only one person...  but maybe some species but more than one?

I'm taking 3 cans of deet and i left 3 cans there, last time.  Dengue scares ms....

What can you tell us of those nasty parasites, diseases, etc?  Anything I should know/do?

Edited by The Cold War Kid
added even more bs :)
TheWhiteKnight
44 minutes ago, The Cold War Kid said:

Mr. Knight, could it be that u r judging events in PH with the bias, caused by your too many years in the united police states?  You might ask yourself that?

Give the PH people a chance - please don't treat them as if they were americans... 'cause they're not, believe me.  I said it before and I'll say it again - the vast majority of the PH people are gentle and beautiful.  Considering them as americans will guarantee that you will never see that... and that would be a shame :(

Believe you? Sure buddy. LOL That's funny. I've probably been living here and spent more days here than you, not to mention I am actually part Filipino so I have been exposed to it my whole life. You have what we call here "rose colored glasses" on, but people in your stage can't be told otherwise, so have fun, but be vigilant, things are always (or usually) what they seem here. Also, grow up with your American bashing, can't wait until the glasses come off.

Headshot
5 hours ago, The Cold War Kid said:

Sir, if you have a medicare supplement it will cover 80% - with the nasty caveat that you will have to pay up front then they will reimburse.

Have you actually used your US insurance in the Philippines to know for sure that it will cover you in the Philippines? Most US insurance won't cover anything here. Even when they do, doctors and hospitals here have no idea how to write up treatment and itemize charges so they will be acceptable to US insurance companies. Making a claim can become very burdensome unless you know all of the medical codes. Do NOT just assume that you are covered, or what percentage they will pay, unless you have already used your insurance here.

The Cold War Kid
4 hours ago, TheWhiteKnight said:

Believe you? Sure buddy. LOL That's funny. I've probably been living here and spent more days here than you, not to mention I am actually part Filipino so I have been exposed to it my whole life. You have what we call here "rose colored glasses" on, but people in your stage can't be told otherwise, so have fun, but be vigilant, things are always (or usually) what they seem here. Also, grow up with your American bashing, can't wait until the glasses come off.

As you will.  Seemingly a simple statement...

People say we create the world, in which we live.  We do not create it outright, to be sure but we create it, still, in the moment we decide how we will perceive it.

I am well aware PH is no bed of roses.  I also know every rule has it's exception.

I did no american bashing.  I do americA bashing.  AmericA is just another pretty little lie we tell our kids and, sadly, the weak and the stupid tell that lie to themselves.  Things go better - life is much happier - that way.

I'm 67 so if ever I will "grow up" I already have?  I guess I didn't catch your drift on "things are usually what they seem here." 

I'm not going to rise to your bait, object to your flippant attitude or even reverse your "thinking" by saying I can't wait until your glasses come off, concerning "america."  I have no need to be right and making you wrong has no value, to me.  I guess I will say you are free, in "america" - free to do, act and especially "think" as you are told, or pay the price...

Create as you will.  Make your world a reflection of your self.  Just leave me out of it, ok? 

I hope you're old (like me) as the thought of a young person being as jaded and bitter as you come off sends a chill down my spine :(

The Cold War Kid
1 minute ago, Headshot said:

Have you actually used your US insurance in the Philippines to know for sure that it will cover you in the Philippines? Most US insurance won't cover anything here. Even when they do, doctors and hospitals here have no idea how to write up treatment and itemize charges so they will be acceptable to US insurance companies. Making a claim can become very burdensome unless you know all of the medical codes. Do NOT just assume that you are covered, or what percentage they will pay, unless you have already used your insurance here.

No - thank God - I have not.  I have found Cigna to be good at paying here.  That's all I can say.  As I said, I am still seeking a solution...

Jawny

This topic holds my interest because of the need to maintain a decent insurance coverage.  I am disappointed in the ramblings that are straying from the topic of health insurance.  No need to make speeches.  

Medicare is not usable in the Philippines.  

Linc membership seems to be made up of such a wide range of nationalities and individual backgrounds, there is no one size fits all when it comes to health care and insurance.

Those who have USA based insurance, such as myself, can offer advice about that experience.  In my case, no need to worry about pre existing conditions with my insurance.  As far as the claims process, it is not onerous.  Been doing it for many years.  I've had no significant issues with regard to the "codes" used.  None were used here, so the description of the care by the attending physician was used as the basis for the claim.

in fact, my USA based insurance considers overseas coverage to be at the "preferred" rate which also means I don't need to get prior approval for diagnostic exams such as CT scans.

I have the name of a good surgeon who can remove the chip from any LinC member who needs one removed from their shoulder.

I guess it should be noted that healthcare in the Philippines stops at 69, supposedly they drop everyone turning 70 so I have been told by a person who has Caritas, can anyone confirm this to be true on other healthcare? If so then what do people 70 and above do for healthcare?

Jawny
35 minutes ago, Lee said:

I guess it should be noted that healthcare in the Philippines stops at 69, supposedly they drop everyone turning 70 so I have been told by a person who has Caritas, can anyone confirm this to be true on other healthcare? If so then what do people 70 and above do for healthcare?

My USA based insurance, no age limits.  

• Like 1
Davaoeno
37 minutes ago, Lee said:

Lee- I'm not sure that you are correct . My MIL gets  Philhealth coverage and she is 89.

Just now, Davaoeno said:

Lee- I'm not sure that you are correct . My MIL gets  Philhealth coverage and she is 89.

Philhealth is not really insurance that would help an expat much but that is good to know, I wonder if they cover expats to that age also and if so at the new p17,000 a year and them only paying peanuts, possibly expats would do better saving the p17,000 and hope they do not need it the first few years.

Davaoeno

I have always bought both Philhealth and Blue Cross/Pacific Cross.  In 7 years I have never had a claim.

However, with the new Philhealth rates I will just drop the Philhealth and keep the Pacific Cross.

I can see private insurers getting a big boost in business with the new Philhealth rates going into effect 

• Like 1
Jawny
7 minutes ago, Lee said:

Philhealth is not really insurance that would help an expat much but that is good to know, I wonder if they cover expats to that age also and if so at the new p17,000 a year and them only paying peanuts, possibly expats would do better saving the p17,000 and hope they do not need it the first few years.

https://www.philhealth.gov.ph/benefits/

if Philhealth is used as insurance, there are some benefits which will match the cost.  Dialysis, blood transfusions etc.  of course, the devil is in the details, so to recover the ₽17000 annual cost, someone may have to be pretty sick.  

One benefit of Philhealth is hosptials will admit patients with Philhealth but may demand cash deposits for others. 

• Like 1