Sign in to follow this  
Irenicus

Mailing Cash into the Philippines via Courier

Irenicus

Someone who is abroad asked me if they could mail me 20,000 "old" peso bills (which will expire at the end of March) via FedEx or another courier so that I could convert them to new bills and send him the balance via Paypal.

I tried to research it, but I couldn't come up with anything.

I have a feeling it's not a good idea, but could anyone chime in with their opinion or maybe provide other options for this.  I believe the individual in question is in the US.

Thanks.

broden

fed ex probably wouldn't be cheap and there is a fair chance if you get it you might get it too late

Lee

As far as I know, there is a law against shipping cash, probably best if they can find someone going to the Philippines or maybe ask a Philippine bank in the US. 

Fedex

The No-Can-Do’s: Prohibited Items

Money, including cash instruments, currency, coins, and other forms of money or cash equivalents

https://smallbusiness.fedex.com/international/mail/what-can-ship.html

• Like 1

USMC-Retired

IS there not limits on the amount one can bring in at one time?  I would seriously check on that.

Irenicus
1 minute ago, Lee said:

As far as I know, there is a law against shipping cash, probably best if they can find someone going to the Philippines or maybe ask a Philippine bank in the US. 

That's the answer right there, then.  Yeah, I just gave him the phone number to the PNB in New York.

I figured cash could only be hand-carried in, I just couldn't find the info.

Thanks!

• Like 1

Lee
3 minutes ago, USMC-Retired said:

IS there not limits on the amount one can bring in at one time?  I would seriously check on that.

It is p50,000 since Sept of last year, before that it was p10,000 out or in.

It can probably be sent by registered mail but would it get there is the big question.

• Like 2

Lee

Here is the law on cash in and out of the Philippines

It is listed under banking on this forum

broden

he could act like a big shot and use it to light cigars

• Like 1

Kabisay-an gid

Call and/or e-mail a Philippine National Bank office in the USA (Info updated as of November 2015) - They should be able to answer any questions:

http://www.banksphilippines.com/2011/08/philippine-national-bank-branches-in-us.html

Edited by Kabisay-an gid

A_Simple_Man
4 hours ago, Irenicus said:

Someone who is abroad asked me if they could mail me 20,000 "old" peso bills

Look at it this way.  They will be worthless at the end of March (reference link) so he may as well try.  I'd put them in a letter as first class mail.  Write something on each bill so it is legally a letter if it makes him feel better.  It'll still take 3 weeks for them to get here and the alternative is to throw them in the trash so what's to lose?

Sven

I did exactly this with some Indian rupees last year, as the bills were suddenly deemed no longer legal tender by the government there.
I wrapped it all in some aluminum foil, to avoid easy detection, and sent it by courier to a contact in India.
I declared the contents to be "documents", which I believe was true because the bills were already no longer legal tender at the time (but they were eligible for exchange for new bills).
The package arrived just fine.

• Like 1

b7335920

I wonder how much time and how close your friend is to a major airport ? Seems to me if hes willing to blow off a few hours parking and driving ( in area before security clearance) he could openly ask any philippino (leaving) and try to get 70 cents , ect on the dollar . If it comes down to a total loss otherwise why not ? No doubt a departing filippino will buy them its just the rate hell have to pay . Better then nothing if its his last option . Probably not the advice hes looking for !!

Monsoon

Tell him to take it on the chin like a big boy.