Sign in to follow this  
Shrek484

Holiday update

Richard K

Zambales is very rural except for Olongapo. Some really nice towns. I always liked San Antonio, San Narciso and Botolan areas

Iba is pretty touristy.. nice beaches though

Sven

I think I know this feeling that the OP has described:

You travel to a place once, have a blast and an amazing time there, people are just great and you have a lot of fun...

Then you decide, wow, you're definitely going to come back there.

Next, you go back to the same place, maybe a year later, only to find that ... umm, this time, it sucks....

It's not all that fun. People are not so friendly, and all sorts of details annoying you....

Even old friends are not as nice as you remember them.

How can that be?

Of course, theoretically there is a chance that the place and all the people have actually fundamentally changed...

But...

I think the explanation is more likely to be something else.

You guessed, it is probably all about you.

Your attitude, your circumstances, your planning, your expectations...

Add a bit of luck or bad luck to the mix...

And weather of course. That's a big one.

Then, two trips to the same place can end up like visiting two different planets.

• Like 1

Shrek484
On 2/9/2017 at 0:27 AM, Sven said:

I think I know this feeling that the OP has described:

You travel to a place once, have a blast and an amazing time there, people are just great and you have a lot of fun...

Then you decide, wow, you're definitely going to come back there.

Next, you go back to the same place, maybe a year later, only to find that ... umm, this time, it sucks....

It's not all that fun. People are not so friendly, and all sorts of details annoying you....

Even old friends are not as nice as you remember them.

How can that be?

Of course, theoretically there is a chance that the place and all the people have actually fundamentally changed...

But...

I think the explanation is more likely to be something else.

You guessed, it is probably all about you.

Your attitude, your circumstances, your planning, your expectations...

Add a bit of luck or bad luck to the mix...

And weather of course. That's a big one.

Then, two trips to the same place can end up like visiting two different planets.

Think ur right mostly, I think it is a mixture of the place has definitely changed and so have I, Too much bad luck and met too many bad people this time around. 

OF course the weather has been fairly bad which undoubtedly changes ones experience, but that said the people I met this time were not as nice, the service not as good, the lies bigger and more often! 

Next time try a different place, but I have met a nice lady this time so maybe that will help me if I meet her again next time which seems likely right now, again time will tell. 

Cheers....

TheWhiteKnight

This is comedy, OP finally figured out what the Philippines is really like. If I remember correctly on his last trip he got in to a heated altercation with a local but not to worry he was totally safe because of the respect he garnered with the locals. Now you realize it was all a facade, and yes, nothing happened to you in response to that situation, but I hope you understand how real the possibility is a little more now that you are seeing the less friendly side of things.

• Like 1

Shrek484
19 hours ago, TheWhiteKnight said:

This is comedy, OP finally figured out what the Philippines is really like. If I remember correctly on his last trip he got in to a heated altercation with a local but not to worry he was totally safe because of the respect he garnered with the locals. Now you realize it was all a facade, and yes, nothing happened to you in response to that situation, but I hope you understand how real the possibility is a little more now that you are seeing the less friendly side of things.

If u remember the last post about this from you, I said  that I did not underestimate the danger but neither did or do I believe it as bad as some make it out to be! I still firmly believe that if u act like a victim u will be a a victim, I am no ones victim!

I have always said the respect earned here is what it is, as in China it is temporary and when it suits them apart from a few very decent people here! I still feel safe here but am and always have been fully aware of the dangers. I conduct myself accordingly, no I did not back down to that loud mouth thug or his mates last time here and ur prediction of my impending death was very overrated as it is now! hate to telll u I am still kicking and have traveled a lot of the world! 

I have never denied the dangers here but have seen for myself the image painted by a few here is not the real image for me, it is not the wild west and is safe enough! not every Filipino has a gun or wishes to shoot u!  My post was not about danger it was about the differences I noticed here from my last visit and how drastic that was, I met more bad people this time, more intolerance towards foreigners! once again I only met one person that I had serious words with out of all the people I met!

My post was about lots of little things, EG how hard it is to even complete the simplest of tasks, The stores seem to have no stocking systems and care not about it! how they seem not to care if they take ur money or not, where as my last few times here most seemed interested in earning a $ or two, how u can buy something one day then the next day the same store has never heard of that product! how they can tell u they have it and look in ur eyes then try to sell u a completely different thing!  how many more dogs seem to running wild and no one cares or takes responsibility! How there seems to be more liars here this time in a nation of supposedly Catholic people! how they can sell u a sim card then have no load for it!

For me the changes are tangible and drastic this time, it seems the people here have had a very big change of heart, some of that maybe attributed to my expectations, the weather being crap and a few other things, but what I said still stands true for me and a few others I have spoken to! it has changed here and not for the better! 

These are the simple things that have been very difficult this time for me! things that were simple on my previous visits now seem impossible!

even getting my motorbike serviced was a nightmare, from getting oarts to getting the work done to a reasonable and safe standard! that was no issue last time!

So again I reiterate I am a seasoned traveler who has no doubts of the dangers of visiting other countries and that includes the UK , USA, Asia and Europe they all have their dangers! and I must say the Philippines is no worse than many other places I have lived and possibly a lot better than a few too! 

• Like 3

Shrek484

Well back in China and all is great in Beijing so far, just thought I would mention Alta resort (mactan) as I stayed there a few days at the end of my stay and loved it, awesome service, food and rooms with a great pool. Well worth a few days there for sure.

Back toCebu in July....