Sign in to follow this  
Shrek484

Holiday update

Shrek484

well Balamban has turned out to be fairly crap this time, changed so much in 5 months it is almost unbelievable! Really not enjoyed it much at all this time and the weather has not helped just rain, rain and more rain.

I am not sure why people and the town have changed so much in 5 months, people not so nice, more people in a hurry and more spitting too! People seem to be more anti foreigner here too this time, like I have never encountered here before, very sad,  but as a balance I have to say my friends here both foreign and Filipino are still awesome and I have met a few more awesome locals but sadly heavily out-weighed by the bad stuff.

EG, used to get my bike fixed at one shop, very good if u gave them direction as I am a fully qualified technician and they seemed happy to do what I wanted as I wanted and I had lots done to a few bikes last time here, left on a good note.

This time they really do not give a toss, tried to sell me the wrong battery and got angry when I told them a 5 amp hour is useless on a 9 amp hour bike!! Tried to fit an off rd lever to  a Yamaha yb that was such a bad fit that u could not pull the front brake with two fingers and the travel was dangerous to say the least! yet they wanted me to pay for it! that did not happen and I stopped using them, beside that everything was out of stock!!!

Went to the store I usually use for lubricants and asked for dot 4 brake fluid and got dot 3, said no thanks I want dot 4 which seemed to cause offense! 

The list is endless, even the man I have used for a year to buy my roast chickens was off, always kept me a banana sauce mix as he knows it is my fav, this time nothing and when I asked he was really off with me, so I took my business to the next stall and got my sauce that I like and got great service for the 3 weeks I been here so far! Crazy to lose 5 -7 chickens a week business for as far as I can see no reason!

it has struck me this time that never mind how much of a rapour you think you have built up or trust and even no matter how much regular business you give them they just do not care a toss. This is a new and not pleasant feeling for me here! I have noticed a higher degree of dis-satisfaction in my friends here too, more than normal complaining and more specific too..... ah well off to Cebu as I am so tired of Balamban right now and will finish my holiday there and then will look at pastures new for the next trip, maybe Dumangante not sure I spelt that right!! or some other places, who knows.

As for moving here to live, that is still on the cards but a complete re-think is required, maybe I need to base myself in Cebu or the likes and get good internet and services then just travel this lovely county in my free time! 

• Like 3

oscarpears

Good honest reporting, it is what makes this forum so useful.

• Like 2

Dafey

Shrek...sorry it was not a stellar as your last trip. Maybe you had so much fun before you can't recreate it?

Hope the rest of your trip is over the top. How much longer will you grace the Philippines with?

• Like 2

shadow

well Balamban has turned out to be fairly crap this time, changed so much in 5 months it is almost unbelievable! Really not enjoyed it much at all this time and the weather has not helped just rain, rain and more rain.

I am not sure why people and the town have changed so much in 5 months, people not so nice, more people in a hurry and more spitting too! People seem to be more anti foreigner here too this time, like I have never encountered here before, very sad,  but as a balance I have to say my friends here both foreign and Filipino are still awesome and I have met a few more awesome locals but sadly heavily out-weighed by the bad stuff.

EG, used to get my bike fixed at one shop, very good if u gave them direction as I am a fully qualified technician and they seemed happy to do what I wanted as I wanted and I had lots done to a few bikes last time here, left on a good note.

This time they really do not give a toss, tried to sell me the wrong battery and got angry when I told them a 5 amp hour is useless on a 9 amp hour bike!! Tried to fit an off rd lever to  a Yamaha yb that was such a bad fit that u could not pull the front brake with two fingers and the travel was dangerous to say the least! yet they wanted me to pay for it! that did not happen and I stopped using them, beside that everything was out of stock!!!

Went to the store I usually use for lubricants and asked for dot 4 brake fluid and got dot 3, said no thanks I want dot 4 which seemed to cause offense! 

The list is endless, even the man I have used for a year to buy my roast chickens was off, always kept me a banana sauce mix as he knows it is my fav, this time nothing and when I asked he was really off with me, so I took my business to the next stall and got my sauce that I like and got great service for the 3 weeks I been here so far! Crazy to lose 5 -7 chickens a week business for as far as I can see no reason!

it has struck me this time that never mind how much of a rapour you think you have built up or trust and even no matter how much regular business you give them they just do not care a toss. This is a new and not pleasant feeling for me here! I have noticed a higher degree of dis-satisfaction in my friends here too, more than normal complaining and more specific too..... ah well off to Cebu as I am so tired of Balamban right now and will finish my holiday there and then will look at pastures new for the next trip, maybe Dumangante not sure I spelt that right!! or some other places, who knows.

As for moving here to live, that is still on the cards but a complete re-think is required, maybe I need to base myself in Cebu or the likes and get good internet and services then just travel this lovely county in my free time! 

No special banana sauce here in Dumangante either!

• Like 1

Jester

When all those things start being a priority in the PI's I need to look in the mirror to see what the problem really is.

• Like 3

Shrek484

Shrek...sorry it was not a stellar as your last trip. Maybe you had so much fun before you can't recreate it?

Hope the rest of your trip is over the top. How much longer will you grace the Philippines with?

here until feb 16th then back to China, it has been ok really just not as good as before, a noticeable difference sadly ;-)  

• Like 1

Shrek484

When all those things start being a priority in the PI's I need to look in the mirror to see what the problem really is.

not sure the mirror will help with a cleaning lady who runs off with my money a few pessos, has got do with me in a mirror, nor any of the other stuff I mentioned! I have chqnged for sure and I accept that and things change I accept and expect that, but such a vast change I have not encountered before. Also my needs will not change by looking in a mirror, when running a performance bike u need dot 4 , dot 3 simply is not good enough, I did not complain I just said no thanks I need dot 4, that seemed to cause offence! never did before!

Just to clarify , the cleaning lady cleaned my small room and washed a few clothes a day for me, this took her about 1 hour, her day job paid her 100 php a full day I gave her 100 each day for roughly an hours work and never complained She did a good job on her own. Why did she run off with 50php, she said she was tired and needed rest, why she never came back?? no idea,,, did I complain about the 50php  NO.... just got another lady to clean. Why someone would lose that kind of easy cash I just do not know. then new lady was great...

Edited by Shrek484
  • Like 2

b7335920

not sure the mirror will help with a cleaning lady who runs off with my money a few pessos, has got do with me in a mirror, nor any of the other stuff I mentioned! I have chqnged for sure and I accept that and things change I accept and expect that, but such a vast change I have not encountered before. Also my needs will not change by looking in a mirror, when running a performance bike u need dot 4 , dot 3 simply is not good enough, I did not complain I just said no thanks I need dot 4, that seemed to cause offence! never did before!

Just to clarify , the cleaning lady cleaned my small room and washed a few clothes a day for me, this took her about 1 hour, her day job paid her 100 php a full day I gave her 100 each day for roughly an hours work and never complained She did a good job on her own. Why did she run off with 50php, she said she was tired and needed rest, why she never came back?? no idea,,, did I complain about the 50php  NO.... just got another lady to clean. Why someone would lose that kind of easy cash I just do not know. then new lady was great...

On a more important note.... How do the women look to you lately ? Still friendly or do you feel your foreigner status has dropped a little ? This might be the straw that br.....

• Like 1

RR3

a banana sauce mix

Just interested, what is that? Balambam specialty, banana ketchup, what?

• Like 1

Paul

Just interested, what is that? Balambam specialty, banana ketchup, what?

I imagine, banana ketchup?

• Like 1

Shrek484

Na, when u buy a roast chicken u get a black sauce usually and on weekends a shredded banana type sauce which I really like. Never had a "foreigner status" really or felt that there was one, I do not nor never have believed that all Filipino women were here waiting for me as some men do, unless u go to AC then I suppose it may feel like ur a god but it is only fake! 

Not sure why Balamban has changed, I am sure I have changed and maybe my expectations, maybe it is an effect of the DU30 presidency, maybe it is just a combination of many things!

What I can say for sure is that it has definitely changed for the worse and not just for me either, Another friend left there this year for roughly the same reasons I have left he now lives in Cebu and is much happier. 

So only time will tell maybe a thread on "where u live" would be a good thread, info on all the pros and cons and a visitor guide? I for one could really use some suggestions for my next visit!

• Like 3

Skywalker

So only time will tell maybe a thread on "where u live" would be a good thread

With this crowd?

Look, the best advice is rent a base, and then travel around and see what you find, that suits you best.

City life suits many, who enjoy the convenience.

Province life suits those who enjoy a simpler style.

• Like 5

Shrek484

With this crowd?

Look, the best advice is rent a base, and then travel around and see what you find, that suits you best.

City life suits many, who enjoy the convenience.

Province life suits those who enjoy a simpler style.

yep great advice the only problem for me is I really want a simple life but the province I thought I really liked ended up being not for me, time to start looking again, and yes will probably rent in Cebu when I move here and then see from there, but that is a year away and as we all know things change very quickly ;-) 

Richard K

I live about an hour from AC. to the north just inside Tarlac prov.  It is a small(er) type village.. no bars..1 pharm.. small grocery store.. small village public market with a large one on sundays. I have not seen may foreigners here.. a couple of missionary types a few times and during fiesta some visitors. I have pretty good internet and seldom have brown-outs and the water is decent.

People are good and I have made some friends. With AC just an hour away I can go to shop..see a movie.. have a good dinner out etc and still be back home at night. 

The roads suck but I have found that the roads suck pretty much everywhere I have been here.

I like it here.. for the most part.. It is a bit tedious to get to the ocean from here as there is no direct route.. Mt Pinatubo is directly west of me and in between me and Iba Zambalas.. which kinda sucks... direct across would be about an hour and a half but in reality it is a 4-4/12 hour ride now..:(

My point is there are many places where access to amenities and a more rural lifesyle can be had..

• Like 3

sugbu777

Iba Zambalas

Zambales is very rural except for Olongapo. Some really nice towns. I always liked San Antonio, San Narciso and Botolan areas

• Like 1