Sign in to follow this  
SmokyMtnRon

Annual 'I'm still alive' forms

SmokyMtnRon

Has anyone started getting the annual 'I'm still alive' forms from Social Security yet?

• Like 1

Paul

I may be wrong here. But, didn't Tonny say they typically started sending them around July? (Feel free to correct me if I am mistaken here.)

• Like 1

Headshot

I may be wrong here. But, didn't Tonny say they typically started sending them around July? (Feel free to correct me if I am mistaken here.)

They sent me one last year in May.

• Like 1

smokey

they never send me one but i did copy one and send it in anyway

• Like 1

Dafey

Jeez...it's not enough that I spend the meager portion they give me...I have to explain I somehow survived despite their lack of funding?

• Like 3

Headshot

Jeez...it's not enough that I spend the meager portion they give me...I have to explain I somehow survived despite their lack of funding?

I asked them about this at an SSA office in the US. They said they send out the letters when they suspect that there is fraud. Living in the Philippines seems to catch some trip wire at the SSA for suspicion of fraud. There seem to be a lot more letters sent out here than anyplace else.

• Like 1

Paul

I asked them about this at an SSA office in the US. They said they send out the letters when they suspect that there is fraud. Living in the Philippines seems to catch some trip wire at the SSA for suspicion of fraud. There seem to be a lot more letters sent out here than anyplace else.

Tonny, I believe, said they were for proof of life, maybe to prevent fraud after death?

If not mistaken, I think he worked for the SSA?

Edited by Paul
  • Like 1

Salty Dog

I've never got one. I've asked other in the USA and they didn't even know such a thing existed.

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Paul

I've never got one. I've asked other in the USA and they didn't even know such a thing existed.

I think this is what they are talking about: CLICK HERE

• Like 1

tonny

Yes any time after April or May they send them out ,i usually get mine in June or July, if they don't heard from you after a few months ,they send out a second one and then a third one near the end of the year, So if they have nor heard from you bye then your Jan. check for the next year,usually will be cut off. I send my daughters and mine back by PH mail, Air Mail , return recite requested  if they have the forms in stock. I usually get them back like 6 to 9 months later. But now it is easy to get it started back again, if it not there in Jan or Feb, just call the SS office at the Embassy you will get it back quick now in a few days. Years ago took months. Be sure and call at 8  am if not it hard to get thru to them ,i always call at 8.02 AM  if busy keep calling back . I am not sure if they ever cut the child's off or not there a little funny about the children's checks and don't like to stop them ever unless something serious and there's is really not in the same type of report as ours. Its to see if the payee rep has use the money for the child s needs not to see if there  dead. My mom in America  got one, one time when i think she turn 90+ years old.don't forget they will be in the Cebu Consulate in a few days.with there out reach program think it was the 8th and 9th but check on the different post about it,as my memory gone bye bye now.

PS It does not matter that it is going to a PO Box they still sign for any return recites when they get the box  mail.Its  the pick up guys duty,  or the mail room when the bag is carried back to SS and then they seen back signed to the post office. If you don't trust the PH mail send one to the SS office in Manila embassy as a back up and one to a good relative in the US to forward also to The address on the return envelope just make copies of the forms  and if they will not go thru the computer system because of there bar code they will enter bye hand . Good Luck but it easy to restart guys 11 yrs ago had to wait months

Edited by tonny

spritsail

do any brits in the Philippines get this from the pensions in UK. I have been receiving a UK state pension for a year now. i get one every year from the Merchant navy which I return scanned via email and via post. My english pal had his mail from the pensions dept in UK sent to his ex wife's  home address in UK but she threw them in the bin  and pensions stopped the repayments 

sugbu777

My wife gets hers in the mail every year. We use an FPO address, so it's not just to PH addresses they send it to. I'm gonna start my SS in January next year.

Edited by sugbu777

fivestarph

do any brits in the Philippines get this from the pensions in UK. I have been receiving a UK state pension for a year now. i get one every year from the Merchant navy which I return scanned via email and via post. My english pal had his mail from the pensions dept in UK sent to his ex wife's  home address in UK but she threw them in the bin  and pensions stopped the repayments 

Last year in April 2016, my UK pension stopped and when I rang long distance to ask the reason, they said they had not received my Life certificate.

Upon asking further they said it is normally mailed the second week in January and you have 12 weeks to return it.

As I called them they agreed to reinstateme and email me the Form, which has to be Notarized and returned.

To date I have not received my 2017 letter, but given that I have not had any mail delivered since October 2016 I will call the Pension Service in March and ask for a form to be emailed to me.

Headshot

My wife gets hers in the mail every year. We use an FPO address, so it's not just to PH addresses they send it to. I'm gonna start my SS in January next year.

That is true. I have an FPO address here in Cebu, as well, so maybe it is just anything out of their "ordinary" that causes the letter. My benefits are direct-deposited to my credit union in the US, but my mail comes to my FPO address here. My Dad is 92, and he has only ever received one of these letters since he started drawing social security thirty years ago. Of course, he is living in the US and hasn't moved (changed addresses) in all of that time.

Edited by Headshot

Kreole

I have never received this letter in the last 7 years, but I also do not have my SS check sent to the Philippines.  It is always automatically deposited into my local US credit union, and I keep my legal address in the US, so I would assume that makes a difference.

• Like 1