Sign in to follow this  
the.lone.gunman

Bringing PHP into the Philippines

the.lone.gunman

I usually bring 10,000php and 1000.CAD into the country when I arrive. But I heard a rumour that this may have changed. Anyone know what the current limits are ? Tks in advance.

sugbu777

I just travelled to Philippines in January 217, and the customs form still says P10,000.

Topper

I just travelled to Philippines in January 217, and the customs form still says P10,000.

Since I will be traveling to the PI soon, what is the amount I can bring in dollars? 

Woolf

Since I will be traveling to the PI soon, what is the amount I can bring in dollars? 

10,000 usd

from the link provide in post #2

Foreign Currency

A person may carry up to the amount of USD 10,000 (or equivalent in any other foreign currency), in cash or other monetary instruments, into and out of the Philippines. Other monetary instruments include travellers’ checks, other checks, drafts, notes, money orders, bonds, deposit certificates, securities, commercial papers, trust certificates, custodial receipts, deposit substitute instruments, trading orders, transaction tickets and confirmation of sale/investment.

Edited by Woolf

Jawny

If you're bringing in peso currency, be aware that older currency has been replaced with a newer version. Same denominations, but different styles. Last I heard the deadline to exchange these was until end of march, this year. Had to be exchanged at a bank.

A_Simple_Man

If you're bringing in peso currency, be aware that older currency has been replaced with a newer version. Same denominations, but different styles. Last I heard the deadline to exchange these was until end of march, this year. Had to be exchanged at a bank.

Excellent point ! ! !  When I was coming back to the Philippines last October I got some pesos at a money changer in a Korean Airport so I had a little cash on arrival.  They gave me a couple of old bills that I had to take to the bank and exchange so that was pretty useless.  But at least the bank did not give me a bad time trying to exchange them.

If it were me, I'd bring all the old pesos I had, regardless of the customs laws.  Stuff them in socks or something.  If you don't get them to the bank within a month they are worthless anyway.

Lee

I usually bring 10,000php and 1000.CAD into the country when I arrive. But I heard a rumour that this may have changed. Anyone know what the current limits are ? Tks in advance.

I posted about it HERE, I suggest people who will bring more than p10,000 print the new ruling just in case you run into an officer who is not aware that it changed on Sept 15, 2016 to p50,000 and always has been USD $10,000 or less or the equivalent in any other currency but pesos.

• Like 1

SkyMan

They gave me a couple of old bills that I had to take to the bank and exchange so that was pretty useless.
You are well within your right to not accept old currency.

A_Simple_Man

You are well within your right to not accept old currency.

Absolutely, but how many tourists, travelling through a foreign airport at 1 i the morning and asking for some pesos at the F/X booth would recognize the currency as outdated?  I've been here years and it slipped by me at that moment.

Monsoon

The law does not limit the amount of foreign currency you can bring into the Philippines. 

• Like 1

Jim Sibbick

The law does not limit the amount of foreign currency you can bring into the Philippines. 

Your statement fooled me for a second then on re reading it. I agree.

But you still have to declare what you are carrying if it exceeds USD $10,000 or the foreign currency equivalent of usd $10,000 

• Like 1

Monsoon

But you still have to declare what you are carrying if it exceeds USD $10,000 or the foreign currency equivalent of usd $10,000 

Indeed. 

But the question was: 

what is the amount I can bring in dollars? 

And the answer is, as much as you want! 

rfm010

True but for over $10k in monetary instruments you are supposed to declare it else be subject to jail, confiscation of said instruments, or some back room negotiations.

Same with leaving the country, separate from the rules for pesos.

Same $10k rules apply at the u.s. border also. Declare it.

Lee

Coming into the Philippines with over US $10,000 and declaring it, is like putting a sign on your back that you are carrying a large sum of money and want to be robbed. Would any of you trust locals who make small amounts of salaries with that info, would you tell Filipinos in a coffee shop or hotel that you are carrying over $10,000 US, I think not, then why tell a stranger at the airport, just my opinion, YMMV, you may end up dead or robbed or you might not have any problems, I know Ian once wrote that he did it and he lived to tell about it and had no problems. I would never carry any amount of money that I would have to declare, I remember in the news a few years ago a Korean carrying a large sum of pesos to supposedly buy a car, he reported it according to the news and the people he reported it to quickly confiscated his money, who knows if he ever got it back but justice in the Philippines often takes years if ever. 

• Like 1