Sign in to follow this  
quit_yume

Question About Circumcision for Kids in the Philippines

quit_yume

My older boy here in the USA is not circumcised and he has thanked me for not having that done to him.   But now i have a Phil-Am kid (7 months) and my asawa is nagging me about getting that done.   There is a 50/50 chance that i will retire in Phils one day and she says that if he is in school there that other kids will pick on him.   My attitude is 'f them' he can just kick their asses if they tease him.  But maybe i am being hard-headed?   

Thoughts?

-quito

• Like 1

Tullioz

'f them' he can just kick their asses if they tease him.

• Like 1

Skywalker

Why anyone would want to disfigure a beautiful, natural baby is beyond me.

It's a disgraceful practice, attacking a child who gets no say in this vicious assault. Wait until the kid can decide for himself if he wants to have his manhood altered because of some old fashioned and outdated 'culture'.

Nobody in their right mind would support Female Genital Mutilation, and yet for some reason, Male Genital Mutilation, also known as circumcision, is not condemned.

• Like 7

quit_yume

Why anyone would want to disfigure a beautiful, natural baby is beyond me.

My point exactly,  it's a completely non necessary surgery

• Like 2

Skywalker

Unnecessary and, frankly, barbaric. It is a physical assault on a defenceless, perfectly formed child, with a weapon.

Edited by Skywalker
  • Like 2

lamoe

My only input will be that having to undergo an emergency surgery circumcision as an adult - torn Frenulum - can be extremely painful and potentially life threatening.

https://www.thebump.com/a/circumcised-vs-uncircumcised-new-studies-add-to-the-debate

Edited by lamoe

topcat72m

Having also done as an adult it really makes no difference. Do it or don't. I will say my partner prefers it now which does have its benefits.

• Like 1

AB2000

My two boys went and had it done when they were ~11-12 (when they lived in the philippines). It was their decision.

thebob

My two boys went and had it done when they were ~11-12 (when they lived in the philippines). It was their decision.

They are too young to make a decision like that. Especially with all the peer pressure they will have received.

It is unnecessary mutilation. The people who performed it should be charged with child abuse.

• Like 5

toshi

our doctor told my wife ; it's better because kids will peer pressure him''

i told my wife , no flucky way, what a bulshit argument that is.!!

I agree with all Skywalker says!!

for the Poster, Tell your wife, NO WAY!, in this case YOU should show who's boss!!

my wife is very open minded, and she understand,

and you might have to try reasonable arguments and kiddy style explanation to convince her.. 

Edited by toshi
  • Like 2

HTM

Surgeons against Routine Circumcision

Manifesto

After reviewing and analyzing the pros and cons of circumcision in males in the Philippines and after knowing the 2002 stand of the Philippine College of Surgeons, three prominent Filipino pediatric urologists on circumcision, 2003 stand of the Philippine Society of General Surgeons, and Philippine Society of Pediatric Surgeons  (see http://xtulepinoy.tripod.com),

We, the surgeons in the Philippines, hereby resolve to DISCOURAGE routine circumcision in the Philippines by

1. Informing the public (inclusive of parents and prospective male newborn and adolescent patients) that
    • there are no medical benefits with routine circumcision;
    • circumcision should be done only when medically indicated such as in phimosis (restrictive foreskin) with recurrent urinary tract infection;
    • circumcision should NOT be done just because of fear of being teased as “supot”;
    • circumcision at birth should NOT be done routinely not only because of the abovementioned reasons but also because it is unnecessarily painful; and
    • there is no such thing as “painless circumcision”.

1. NOT promoting “Operation Tule”.
Signatories Signatories Name Signature Affiliation/Date Reynaldo O. Joson, MD Signed Ospital ng Maynila Medical Center (OMMC); Manila Doctors Hospital (MDH); Philippine General Hospital (PGH) Adrian Anthony C. Yu, MD Signed Metropolitan Hospital Edgardo Penserga, MD Signed Victor Potenciano Medical Center Roehl C. Salvador, MD Signed MDH; Our Lady of Peace Hospital Anthony T. Ang, MD Signed MDH; Our Lady of Peace Hospital; St. Claire Hospital Alex L. Cerrillo, MD Signed Zamboanga City Medical Center; Brent Hospital; Zamboanga Doctors Hospital; ZAEC Community Medical Center (Zamboanga City) Rogelio G. Kangleon, Jr. MD Signed Visayas Community Medical Center (Cebu City) Michael James Busa, MD Signed Cebu Velez General Hospital (Cebu City) Jaime B. Lagunilla, MD Signed Northern Mindanao Medical Center; Ma. Reyna Hospital; Capitol College General Hospital (Cagayan de Oro) Danny Querijero, MD Signed Lourdes Hospital Joseph Estanislao, MD Signed Northern Samar Provincial Hospital Orlino Bisquera, MD Signed Far Eastern University Hospital Alfonso Nunez, MD Signed East Avenue Medical Center, MDH Joven Cruz, MD Signed PGH Enrico Valera, MD Signed St. Lukes Hospital Rodney Dofitas, MD Signed PGH Mario Guevarra, MD Signed Lourdes Hospital 20 others    
  • Like 1

SkyMan

I'm so thankful my parents didn't have you lot advising them.

• Like 3

Jawny

In the area I live, the most common time of circumcision is while the boy is in elementary school. Early as age six, also as old as 12. Commonly done as a group of surgeons shows up and does the surgery on large groups of boys.

I've never heard of any teasing one way or another as to the curcumcision.

Edwin

I think the only men who feel it is abusive and barbaric are the ones who haven't been circumcised.

• Like 3

toshi

my son just turned 7 and he is almost 1.40 cm, .. in a few years he be bigger then the average local adult..

and when he turn out as big as me ..some might be in for a whoop Ass if the teasing starts..

but i don't see the teasing to much happening.. its something from the past.. kids are more educated these day's

And  @ Edwin,  your statement makes no sense..!!

Edited by toshi
  • Like 2

Salty Dog

I think the only men who feel it is abusive and barbaric are the ones who haven't been circumcised.

Considering 7 out of 10 men aren't circumcised, that would mean most men. Most of those who are circumcised are Muslims....

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

AB2000

They are too young to make a decision like that. Especially with all the peer pressure they will have received.

It is unnecessary mutilation. The people who performed it should be charged with child abuse.

I was just giving the OP some data, not suggesting he does or does not.

Since I was circumcised as an infant, maybe I don't know what I'm missing.

But my boys haven't complained since their mutilation .

And we have at least one post here giving a positive review having experienced both.

So with all of that, I'd say wait and let the boy decide if he wants part of his weewee cut off when he is old enough to understand what getting cut means.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

quit_yume

for the Poster, Tell your wife, NO WAY!, in this case YOU should show who's boss!!

It's not about 'who's boss'.   We are adults and we talk these things through. ;)

• Like 1

HeyMike

I see nothing wrong with male circumcision in general, but especially if it is part of your religious understanding that males should be circumcised on the 8th day of birth.

I would not want to wait until my son was 6 to 12 years old before he is circumcised.  

• Like 1

HTM

Does being born a healthy male require surgical correction?

• Like 3

HeyMike

No, I don't think so.

mahogany

This is such a typical culturally-laden issue, isn't it? For a Muslim or Jew it is unthinkable to not be circumcised; the Filipino believes that an uncircumcised "pisot" is not a man, someone still dirty and unclean and still a child http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Pisot; the 'enlightened' Westerner believes that all of this amounts to child abuse. Interesting.

Headshot

If for no other reason, the reduction of STD transmission should be considered when deciding what is best for your children. I believe that it is a parent's responsibility to do whatever they think is in the child's best interests long-term. Circumcision is very common in the US, regardless of religion, so while it may be based on religious beliefs in other parts of the world, that is not the case in the US.

http://healthland.time.com/2013/04/17/why-circumcision-lowers-risk-of-hiv/

Why Circumcision Lowers Risk of HIV

Promising trials hinted that circumcision could lower rates of HIV infection, but until now, researchers didn’t fully understand why

By Alice Park

Promising trials hinted that circumcision could lower rates of HIV infection, but until now, researchers didn’t fully understand why.

Now, in a study published in the journal mBio, scientists say that changes in the population of bacteria living on and around the penis may be partly responsible.

Relying on the latest technology that make sequencing the genes of organisms faster and more accessible, Lance Price of the Translational Genomics Research institute (TGen) and his colleagues conducted a detailed genetic analysis of the microbial inhabitants of the penis among a group of Ugandan men who provided samples before circumcision and again a year later.

While the men showed similar communities of microbes before the operation, 12 months later, the circumcised men harbored dramatically fewer bacteria that survive in low oxygen conditions. They also had 81% less bacteria overall compared to the uncircumcised men, and that could have a dramatic effect on the men’s ability to fight off infections like HIV, says Price. Previous studies showed that circumcised men lowered their risk of transmitting HIV by as much as 50%, making the operation an important tool in preventing infection with the virus. Why? A high burden of bacteria could disrupt the ability of specialized immune cells known as Langerhans cells to activate immune defenses. Normally, Langerhans are responsible for grabbing invading microbes like bacteria or viruses and presenting them to immune cells for training, to prime the body to recognize and react against the pathogens. But when the bacterial load increases, as it does in the uncircumcised penile environment, inflammatory reactions increase and these cells actually start to infect healthy cells with the offending microbe rather than merely present them.

That may be why uncircumcised men are more likely to transmit HIV than men without the foreskin, says Price, since the Langerhans cells could be feeding HIV directly to healthy cells. His group is also investigating how changes in the levels of cytokines, which are the signaling molecules that immune cells use to communicate with each other, might be influenced by bacterial populations.

“There is a real revolution going on in our understanding of the microbiome,” says Price, who is also professor of occupational and environmental health at George Washington University. “The microbiome is almost like another organ system, and we are just scratching the surface of understanding the interplay between the microbiome and the immune system.”

Previous work suggested that changes in the bacterial populations in the gut, for example, could affect obesity, and other studies found potential connections between microbial communities and the risk for cancer, asthma and other chronic conditions.

http://www.webmd.com/men/news/20090325/circumcision-cuts-stds#1

Circumcision May Reduce Risk of STDs

Study Shows Circumcised Men Have Less Risk of Herpes, Genital Wart/Cancer Virus

By Daniel J. DeNoon

Circumcised men have a 25% lower risk of genital herpes and a 35% lower risk of HPV, the virus that causes genital warts and cancers.

The data come from a study in Uganda that already has shown circumcision effective in reducing a man's risk of HIV infection from heterosexual sex. The two-year study by Johns Hopkins researcher Aaron A.R. Tobian, MD, PhD, and colleagues enrolled nearly 3,400 men negative for HSV-2, the genital herpes virus.

"These findings ... indicate that circumcision should now be accepted as an efficacious intervention for reducing heterosexually acquired infections with HSV-2, HPV, and HIV in adolescent boys and men," the researchers conclude. "However, it must be emphasized that protection was only partial, and it is critical to promote the practice of safe sex."

The study did not show whether circumcision has any effect on homosexual transmission of HIV or other sexually transmitted diseases (STDs).

Some studies have suggested that circumcised men may be at lower risk of syphilis, but the Tobian study found no evidence to support this. Syphilis rates in the study were similar in both circumcised and uncircumcised men.

Nevertheless, circumcised men in the study had fewer genital ulcers.

How can circumcision prevent STDs? In at least three ways:

When the foreskin is removed, the skin covering the head of the penis becomes tougher. That may protect against "microtears" during sex that can provide a point of entry for germs.

The mucosal lining of the foreskin may allow germs to penetrate to underlying skin cells.

After sex, the foreskin may prolong the time that tender skin is exposed to germs.

Circumcised men may be protecting their sex partners as well as themselves, suggest University of Washington researchers Matthew R. Golden, MD, MPH, and Judith N. Wasserheit, MD, MPH, in an editorial accompanying the Tobian study.

Data from earlier studies indicate that monogamous women with circumcised sex partners are only half as likely to get cervical cancer as are women with uncircumcised sex partners. And the Tobian study shows that circumcision cuts the risk of HPV, the virus that can cause cervical cancer.

• Like 2

SkyMan

So then you'd leave the umbilical cord and placenta attached?

• Like 1

Monsoon

Personally I would pass on it. I wouldn't let myself get sucked into making poor decisions for my child 'just because its the way they do it here.'

They also tend to pierce female baby's ears very early (Not my daughter!)

They also give the baby the mother's maiden name as a middle name.. (Not my daughter!) 

Do what you feel is right for your child, not what some 'tradition' says.

• Like 4