Sign in to follow this  
oztony

What can I delete..?

AlwaysRt

Eat your heart out... :dance:

attachicon.gifCapture.JPG

I'm gonna go cry now..........sniffle sniffle

musicman666

If you really want to get rid of big uneccessary stuff....go to file manager and search for *.* in the root.

This will give you a massive list of every file on the drive.

Then hit list by size category on the top of the page.

Then go through all the huge files at the top.....google each one to see if they are necessary. I.e. "File name is this necessary"

You need to have some idea as to what is what but I uncovered huge amounts of old nvidia drivers and such like that were historically left behind after installs. You can claw back literally tens of gigagybytes this way if you have been leaving the machine unregulated for a long time.

One piece of advice ...never empty the trash when doing this and reboot regularly just in case you do nuke a vital file but if your careful you should make it through ok.

System won't let you delete a vital file without telling you first....so never ignore those warnings.

Edited by musicman666

rep1

NB You may wish to plan your next vacation in a 1Gbps area:

* Hong Kong

* Tokyo, Japan

* South Korea

* Cologne, Germany

* Canberra, Australia

* Portugal

* Sweden

* Amsterdam, NL

* In US, Lenora, KS, Metter, GA, Fairfield MT

WSUS Offline is a free utility to download and automate windows and office updates.

After downloading you can keep all updates somewhere and reuse it next time.

• Like 2

Skywalker

After downloading you can keep all updates somewhere and reuse it next time.

Manage the noise, and there is no need to reinstall an OS.  I haven't done an OS reinstall since win98SE.

miles-high

Manage the noise, and there is no need to reinstall an OS.  I haven't done an OS reinstall since win98SE.

Have you replaced your car(s) since then? Reinstalling an OS is like buying a new car or installing a new engine or getting a new heart... :D

• Like 1

Skywalker

Reinstalling an OS is like buying a new car or installing a new engine or getting a new heart...

....or a new girlfriend?  Or Wife?

Is that how it works in your World?   :yahoo:

• Like 1

Goetz1965

Thats why I changed to Apple 20+ years ago ...

• Like 2

thebob

Yep I finally replaced my 10 year old Macbook. I haven't reinstalled the system in it since new, just updated and cloned to a new drive when needed.

My "new" MacBook Pro 13" is the 2012 model, the last one with a Superdrive. Core i5 16Gb 2T. I expect it to last for 10 years as well.

Just linked them together with an Ethernet cable, migrated the data and programs... and off you go.

Life's too short to use Windows. They cost too much in time and hassle.

To answer the question in the OP... Just delete Windows.

https://www.ubuntu.com

Edited by thebob

JohnSurrey

What I do with the crap toys we buy for a children is put them in a plastic bag - after a month or two I know I can chuck them out or give them to my wife's family... same approach for your files - just dump them on an external drive and start afresh.

USMC-Retired

Eat your heart out... :dance:

attachicon.gifCapture.JPG

Those look like my speeds.   LOL>..

rep1

had always wanted it, bought it when I finally could, dumped after one month.

That ^@#$%*?!! can't even let me choose the destination of decompression, or sort Safari bookmarks by name. My IQ must have dropped by a huge degree since then.

miles-high

Still took from 16 hours to finally finish the last update (I'd been saving up).

Did what I suggested tonight (Win10 x64) – restoring to the factory default… Took about 30 min to have Win10 reinstalled… another 30 min to install the latest updates… 15 min to reinstall Office 365… about 30 min to fine tune the desktop, etc.

Of course, those 3rd party apps such as my Canon apps, photo editing software, etc. were erased and I will need to spend another hour or two to install and fine tune them…

​But 16 hours?

Anyway good thing is I feel great knowing that all malwares and hidden apps (if any, as I always update the defender), feel completely detoxed so to speak haha :D

Jester

Not being a computer Guru,  I can turn it on and off and a few things in between.   I find that going through the computer and deciding what file is safe to delete and which will blow up the local nuclear reactor its a bit  beyond me.

I can however restore to factory default with the best of the experts!   If 12 year old kids and I can do this I would think it is within the grasp of most people with a little effort. 

The upside to this is I quickly find what I have lost and can reinstall it as I need it.   Things I lose are Streets and Trips with Key# Google earth and such, favorites list, passwords to some sites must be re entered the next time I go.

Simply Google restore computer to factory default and follow the instructions.    I should add that both my computers are less than 4 years old and all the info needed is in a partition in C drive.

Edit  Opps, the partition in C drive is referred to as D drive on my computer (I think)

post-842-0-33607500-1486147576_thumb.png

Edited by Jester

AlwaysRt

Did what I suggested tonight (Win10 x64) – restoring to the factory default… Took about 30 min to have Win10 reinstalled… another 30 min to install the latest updates… 15 min to reinstall Office 365… about 30 min to fine tune the desktop, etc.

Of course, those 3rd party apps such as my Canon apps, photo editing software, etc. were erased and I will need to spend another hour or two to install and fine tune them…

​But 16 hours?

Anyway good thing is I feel great knowing that all malwares and hidden apps (if any, as I always update the defender), feel completely detoxed so to speak haha :D

Once done loading everything make a restore disk, next time all you will have to do is updates.

AlwaysRt

OS is clogged up , what can I delete...

attachicon.gifCapture.JPGos.JPG

Go to c: drive, double click 'windows', scroll down and click 'temp', erase everything in the folder (some may be in use, ignore them), when done empty trash bin and check drive space again

• Like 1