Sign in to follow this  
Salty Dog

How to convert a Van in to an Off-Grid Camper in 17 Days!

Salty Dog

Edited by Salty Dog
  • Like 3

Salty Dog

Edited by Salty Dog

Jester

17 days?   I have converted a bus to a motor home and am now redoing an old Toyota motorhome.  Now on the Toy I have spent 17 days on the internet researching, ordering or looking for parts.   I have spent 17 days planning what I am going to do, I have spent 17 days running back and forth to Home Depot, Lowes and hardware store.  I have spent 17 days driving around looking for parts and returning defective parts.

This guy is like the Superman of redoing a van!

TequilaSunset

Funny I recently watched and responded to this video... this is something I am in the process of doing here but on an even smaller scale (Vanagon with a High Top)  It's still under construction, going to rip out all the cabinets and do my own custom stuff. I swapped out the old motor and did a conversion to a Jetta 1.8T, automatic trans with upgraded R&P, cruise control, upgraded seats, larger disc brakes and the list goes on. I have a full bed inside along with my hammock which is great when at the ocean or river, throw open the slider and just chill with a great view.

I will travel the US and live on the cheap. if I like my visit to Cebu those plans could change drasticily... life is about options and with the fewest burdens.. JMHO

hammock_zpsf8k2pr16.jpg

unnamed%205_zpsz8ku8gfr.jpg

Jester

Funny I recently watched and responded to this video... this is something I am in the process of doing here but on an even smaller scale (Vanagon with a High Top)  It's still under construction, going to rip out all the cabinets and do my own custom stuff. I swapped out the old motor and did a conversion to a Jetta 1.8T, automatic trans with upgraded R&P, cruise control, upgraded seats, larger disc brakes and the list goes on. I have a full bed inside along with my hammock which is great when at the ocean or river, throw open the slider and just chill with a great view.

I will travel the US and live on the cheap. if I like my visit to Cebu those plans could change drasticily... life is about options and with the fewest burdens.. JMHO

hammock_zpsf8k2pr16.jpg

unnamed%205_zpsz8ku8gfr.jpg

I used to store my motorhome when I wanted to travel, nice to have a place to retreat to.  VAnagon would be fun, but bet you can't do it in 17 days!  

TequilaSunset

I used to store my motorhome when I wanted to travel, nice to have a place to retreat to.  VAnagon would be fun, but bet you can't do it in 17 days!  

Just cabinet work, yeah I could, yeah I could... Just a couple of hours tops to remove everything. Then I would use part of the cabinets as a template for the parts that fit flush with the sides. The guy did not include is pre-fab or design work efforts, just the build, and that's all I would count too. I will have a lot of rough sketches, and then I will also do mock ups with Coroplast (plastic cardboard) to be sure I like the design... that would be my only slow down that could impact the build... it always does, but it's always for the best too :)

Salty Dog

Speaking of nice cabinet work. Check this one out...

TequilaSunset

Speaking of nice cabinet work. Check this one out...

Yeah way nice... love it. The Sprinters/Ford Transits etc are so nice to work with, v.s. my rear engine old beast... but I have the cool factor old school vibe :)

I have as an option to sell my vanagon and get a used Transit down the road... so many variable in my life right now.

Jester

I'm not a pro woodworker, just another hack with a hammer and saw.

post-842-0-64089700-1484541285_thumb.jpg 

There is a drop down flat screen in that picture I probably have 15 days in that,  design, mock-up, redesign, rip out, redesign, mock-up, find parts welding, wiring, build, rip out, redoing, rewiring and then building.  

Edited by Jester
  • Like 1

Salty Dog

I'm not a pro woodworker, just another hack with a hammer and saw.

attachicon.gifceiling.jpg

Show off.... :D

• Like 1

Jester

There it is

post-842-0-24978900-1484542416_thumb.png

Jester

Show off.... :D

Got me.