Summer camp for kids….

miles-high

We have a nephew whom we like to eventually send to the US Coast Guard Academy or Merchant Marine Academy… We would send him to the AIM (Academy Introduction Mission) summer camp when he gets 16yo but in the meantime, we like to find out what summer camp you, ex-military guys would recommend next 2 summers, as a sort of a preparatory, military-type summer camp anywhere in the US…

FYI, he is a 14yo Filipino, fluent in English/Tagalog, a legal US resident eligible for citizenship next year, attending a US private school, getting all A’s so far…

Thank you!

• Like 1
TequilaSunset

I just want to say... BRAVO... sounds like a great kid!!

HongKongPhooey

Does he have JROTC at his high school?  They usually offer JROTC leadership camps in the summer.  I went two summers at Fort Leonardwood.  Good experience without going overboard.  Back then the DI's even gave us near beer and tins of skoal after barracks clean up.  I'm pretty sure they can't get away with that now.

Headshot

The US Air Force Academy has a summer program for high school students called Science Camp. It is pretty good, and looks good on academy applications (for any of the academies). My third daughter attended the camp between her junior and senior years in high school. Of course, she had a lot of other qualifications (3.98 GPA with a curriculum heavy in math and science, Senior Girl Scout, Candy Striper at a local hospital and commander of the state CAP Youth Squadron), but she thought that the science camp was a boost in her winning an appointment to the US Air Force Academy.

You should see if the Coast Guard Academy and Merchant Marine Academy have similar programs that your nephew can attend. He should know, though, that the academies are looking for well-rounded cadets, and no one thing will get them an appointment. In the end, cadets must be nominated by a congressman or senator or by special qualification (like child of a MOH winner), but the acceptance committees get more nominations than they can take as cadets, so every little thing a candidate accomplishes helps sway the decision in their favor.

• Like 1
miles-high

You should see if the Coast Guard Academy and Merchant Marine Academy have similar programs that your nephew can attend.

They do have their AIM (Academy Introduction Mission) summer programs for 16 and 17yo... Two more years before our nephew becomes eligible to participate... We are trying to find out if there are similar programs for younger students, offered by a private military academy or similar... :)