going to cebu living on the edge

seattle2cebu

spooks
You would have seen me at CPILS if I had taken the lousy off they made me in 2007. I looked at it closely and said why would I work in that job for that kind of pay? The pay was really beneath me.

I can sense jealousy in your post, maybe because the native speakers earn more than you so let me give you a heads up. They speak English better than you. You may not realize that, but it's the truth. The sooner you realize it, the happier you will be.

Frankly, millions and millions of people learn English without knowing what a gerund is. Because guess what? You don't need to know what a gerund is. What you do need to know is that it is the ing form. With any formal learning about the ing form, millions are able to use it effectively. My 5 year old can even use it quite well. Native speakers don't have to "learn rules" in order to know if something is right or wrong, we know it because of the way it sounds. We here it and no whether it's right or wrong.

One little heads up, you might want to check that last sentence you posted because it makes no sense. It's a common grammar problem that a native speaker wouldn't make.

About a certificate: As someone with more than 10 years of TEFL experience in a number of countries, I think my opinion is valid. A TEFL certificate is a waste of money and you are better off spending the money on a new laptop, ipod, and video camera and two or three teaching books from Amazon.

Reason you did not apply is that they would look at this forum and ask why employ someone who is so worthless!!

No doubt my IELTS qualifications do not match your high standards either. No matter, knowing what a Gerund is, or, indeed any other part of speech, is important to an English teacher as your students are entitled to ask basic questions, to which you are expected to provide accurate and informative answers.

Professional training, with role plays would have helped prepare a teacher for such events. You can offer the question around to the class for their assistance and input, it makes learning a more enjoyable and interactive experience.

One advantage, sad to say for Native born speakers is credibility. Overseas students just expect you to know!! The other one which is more credible is that Native born speakers are more flexible, English has evolved and will continue to evolve. Native born speakers are more comfortable with this as its not really a 'learned' situation.

Then again what do I know, to you professional qualifications are worthless, why work when you can scam.

Mike

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• seattle2cebu

• Bob Ward

• smokey

• spooks

spooks
When I first came here I thought I would want a job. So I taught English for a school in Cordova. I have a Bachelors Degree and TESL certificate. The wage was not great however better then most. I was making 7 dollars an hour and taught 30 hours a week. I hated it however the money was good. You can find jobs here you just have to be diligent. The wages are not good normally they were offering me 50 thousand pesos per month. I just did not see it worth my time. You can also apply at international schools they need teachers and depending on what your Degree is in you could get a job. I wish you the best of luck.

As for Lechon I would say No No and double No.

One last thing schools look at where your TESL TEFL certificate come from. They consider this when offering jobs so make sure you do not just go with some online certificate mill. Mine was San Diego State so I had it a lot easier. As we had to complete several hours OJT that I could add to my resume.

Am surprised that crazy larry and Alta are still going. I hated teaching there, indeed following that experience I hung up my Teaching books!!

m

thebob

I said 'I don't find your analogy to fishing at all useful. I would prefer to learn from the best teacher."

Well I, for one, understand the analogy. As the man said, he has " more than 10 years of TEFL experience in a number of countries"

And you assume the poster has less?

QUOTE (Penguin @ Feb 17 2009, 08:42 PM)

Big clue: In many countries of the world, you don't need a certificate or experience to get a job teaching English. All you need to be is a native English speaker. If you are with it enough, you can learn everything you need to know from books and a little practice.

I am surprised I didn't see you at CPILS. They were assuming you would grab the offer since we, local teachers, were only given 65.00/hour before.

In 2007, we had a native speaker teacher from Australia who was given 300/hour. He was lucky, he was given a lot despite his lack of qualifications.

While the head of the Trainers' Group is a Ph. D, some of the native speakers there are teaching not because they are teachers but because they are native speakers.

One of them quit when one of the students in the class asked, "What is a gerund, teacher?" The teacher didn't answer. Instead, the teacher asked, "What is that?"

My Advice: Get a certificate as students look up to you being a native speaker and consider you a perfect source of English learning. Once you fail to answer their queries, you don't want to imagine how disappointed they are. The next day, expect to see new faces because the students will surely change your class.

I posted it today, I couldn't hold back. Filipinos are straight jealous. Cut it off!

Don't call it racism, we all have to work hard to make a living, those blunt attacks are just a joke.

I am no native English speaker either and have to deal with comments about that every day but I am very clever, self confident, good looking and charming.

:-)

Reason you did not apply is that they would look at this forum and ask why employ someone who is so worthless!!

No doubt my IELTS qualifications do not match your high standards either. No matter, knowing what a Gerund is, or, indeed any other part of speech, is important to an English teacher as your students are entitled to ask basic questions, to which you are expected to provide accurate and informative answers.

Professional training, with role plays would have helped prepare a teacher for such events. You can offer the question around to the class for their assistance and input, it makes learning a more enjoyable and interactive experience.

One advantage, sad to say for Native born speakers is credibility. Overseas students just expect you to know!! The other one which is more credible is that Native born speakers are more flexible, English has evolved and will continue to evolve. Native born speakers are more comfortable with this as its not really a 'learned' situation.

Then again what do I know, to you professional qualifications are worthless, why work when you can scam.

Mike

Mike, did you reply to the right post?

• 2 weeks later...
seattle2cebu

I dont want to keep starting new threads and be a thread hog, so I will just add on here..

I was thinking doing investigations for fiances... like the guy has you check out his girlfriend while in the fiance visa process

that would make a few extra dollars... the challenge is to reach that market. There are really a lot of these visas processed

each year, and I think a lot of guys would pay a little insurance to check out the girl.. ( see if she has a boyfriend and all that)

Dave I wouldnt go near that one some how I feel credibility would be an issue for you let alone that Pointman is already doing that kind of work. Keep looking for possibilities something will show itself.

I applied, they offered me the job, I told them no way, not for that salary.

Yep, in 4 weeks you too can become a perfect teacher. That's the typical TEFL course and that's why it's a joke. There is really no difference 6 months out between a teacher with a 4 week tefl certificate and one without it.

Any idiot who decides to be a teacher can google what they need and they would know that......as well as someone taking a 4 week wonder class.

Native speakers have credibility because we know the language better than some Filipino who has lived their life in the Philippines speaking Filipino English.

No TEFL cert= scam. You really are ignorant, aren't you? I believe that someone should study on their own, buy a teaching book, take every opportunity to better their teaching skills. I believe they should get a Master's in TESOL. I do not believe taking a 4 week class will prepare them. I think those courses are scams.

spooks
I applied, they offered me the job, I told them no way, not for that salary.

Yep, in 4 weeks you too can become a perfect teacher. That's the typical TEFL course and that's why it's a joke. There is really no difference 6 months out between a teacher with a 4 week tefl certificate and one without it.

Any idiot who decides to be a teacher can google what they need and they would know that......as well as someone taking a 4 week wonder class.

Native speakers have credibility because we know the language better than some Filipino who has lived their life in the Philippines speaking Filipino English.

No TEFL cert= scam. You really are ignorant, aren't you? I believe that someone should study on their own, buy a teaching book, take every opportunity to better their teaching skills. I believe they should get a Master's in TESOL. I do not believe taking a 4 week class will prepare them. I think those courses are scams.

penguin!! Must be a form of words that you are happy with and no doubt illuminate the life of so many you come into contact with. Be happy

spooks
Mike, did you reply to the right post?

I thought I had, it would seem the know it alls who do nothing are the ones who take exception. Perhaps it is because the response is in the wrong place, or because it is a response that is reasoned, not rude and obvious.

Never did understand the motivation of the few that have a lifetime of non achievement behind them just waiting with baited breath to share the secrets of their lack of success.

I will just get on quietly with achieving, sorry to have disturbed you all.

Paul
I dont want to keep starting new threads and be a thread hog, so I will just add on here..

I was thinking doing investigations for fiances... like the guy has you check out his girlfriend while in the fiance visa process

that would make a few extra dollars... the challenge is to reach that market. There are really a lot of these visas processed

each year, and I think a lot of guys would pay a little insurance to check out the girl.. ( see if she has a boyfriend and all that)

Too late. http://www.pointmancebu.com has been doing this since 2003.

Do not offer this service on this forum.

I will be taking an english certification class in cebu also if I dont start it here first. ESL teaching

That's a cool Idea. There's heaps on international around like Korean/Japanese students that are in Cebu studying english. That would be your best bet. My roommate was a Dutch Student ended up teaching a few Korean Students.

I had dated a Korean Student while i there in Cebu and surprisingly her english was better than mine.... I have to stop using slang words :P

• 2 months later...
Bob Ward

After he panhandled enough money to get through the crisis, he just buggered off. I would expect no less.

seattle2cebu was one of the best posters on this board. He gave a lot of entertainment. I wish he would come back to post his latest adventures.