going to cebu living on the edge

seattle2cebu

You'll find that the hours here are less than optimal. I'm talking 12 hours a day 5-6 days a week for a job that only nets you 10-15k/month SALARY.

If you're willing to stress yourself out at a call center, it might be a little better than that since you're a good English speaker. But not much better.

If you can handle working a stressful job for long hours for absolutely atrocious pay, then by all means go for it. If not, I suggest coming here with a better plan.

Personally, I'm a graphic designer. I do all my work online and get paid via PayPal. I work... maybe 20-30 hours a week doing far less stressful jobs than most of the locals here. I won't say how much I make per month, but it's good enough to rent out a house in one of the better subdivisions in the Talamban area. And this is without a degree.

So what's my suggestion? Look into working online. See if it's something you can do. Do you have a technical skill? Or do you have the ability to learn a computer-based occupation?

You could probably spend a year learning how to design websites or even just logos and corporate identities and be able to work online and fully support yourself easily in the Phils if that's your desire.

I read that you are leaving with $4,000USD. This is a CONSIDERABLE amount of money here. Most people make a lot less than that in a year. You can support yourself for a year, budgeting things, with that money. In that time, learn something. It couldn't hurt. In the meantime, you can work an odd job here and there if you really need the extra cash.

I just think that unless you come here with enough money to invest in starting a business (that will take off... probably something in tourism... lechon won't get you anywhere unfortunately) that working online is a good (but maybe volatile depending on the world's market) choice.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• seattle2cebu

• Bob Ward

• smokey

• spooks

seattle2cebu

Yes of course she would be lol I had thought of that one.. But you guys also fail to realize my amazing charm.

lol I have a gift of survival, however this will be my biggest challenge. Wish I could get a cable network to

run a reality show on it. a real survivor show ( joke)

I have slowed down a bit on my departure date though.. Im getting more patient to save more money first

and try to see about making a connection with the call centers.

Its hard when my girfriend comes on chat.. I dont know what happened.. I chatted with her off and on a year.

I just want to go see her now. Originally I had planned to just visit is what happened, and then I realized how

much I would miss the phils when I got back, and how long it would take to go again. I know I would blow all

my money on a trip there.. I blew 6k in october 2006 in a month ha ha

so all the sudden in january, it just hit me that I wanted to move there. So now dealing with the realities

of it. I want to stay at least a year, so Im working on it and realizing I cant just take off unprepared.

On a side note.. I have been playing online poker for three years. Ive gotten to a place in my game that

I can actually make money believe it or not. Since I decided to move, my game improved so much its not even

funny. I dont do plays anymore i used to do. Im so serious about it now. I just play what I know is the best play

and I quit gambling, which may sound odd to someone who doesnt understand the game.

I did take a course in web sites at a community college and I worked on that quite a bit as a hobby a couple of years ago

I have been working on getting my software back and looking into what you suggested...

Its a lot of fun all of this... the challenge of figuring out how to make it.. and victory will be sweet.

I have already thought a lot about going to vietnam later... I want to stay in cebu a year first and then if I have

to go to vietnam to teach english, then ok..

Yo, I was assuming that the GF would be the front person. LOL
Edited by seattle2cebu
overthere-really

"One of the best places to look for ESL jobs is this site: http://www.eslcafe.com/joblist/"

I know of 3 schools in Cebu that give a one month certification course. One is owned by the guy who runs eslcafe.com. They're kind of pricy but if you take the course with 4 weeks of instruction and experience teaching real students(part of the curriculum), you'll get the job before someone who did a short course or got their Cert. online.

I have a friend who taught ESL teachers in many countries and she said eslcafe.com was the best resource out there. I know 2 of those schools give courses in a dozen or so countries and offer placement assistance. Some people go to the ones in Bankok because it's cheaper to stay there while attending.

It may be different now but when I was in the Phils 8 months ago I was offered a job teaching ESL in Manila on my second day there just because I spoke American english, no certificate, no experience.

I have a question?I lived in the Philippines for 5 years and have travelled and live in several countrys and have no idea what a call center is and neither does my wife.What is a call center and why are these possible places of employment for americans and others?

The Mason
I have a question?I lived in the Philippines for 5 years and have travelled and live in several countrys and have no idea what a call center is and neither does my wife.What is a call center and why are these possible places of employment for americans and others?

They are companies that handle business process outsourcing for primarily Western companies. Things like customer service, tech support, order status. If you do business with a US company and need to call them for anyghing, there is a good chance your question will be handled by someone in India or the Philippines.

Since the RP companies make money by handling questions from US customers, they are very interested in having employees that can speak US English and interact with US customers effectively. It's more than just speaking English though. I've had a lot of success with the call centers here by building and teaching a seminar that trains employees how to conduct 'small talk' with US customers and build a solid rapport in a short amount of time. This is especially useful for call centers that do telesales.

They are companies that handle business process outsourcing for primarily Western companies. Things like customer service, tech support, order status. If you do business with a US company and need to call them for anyghing, there is a good chance your question will be handled by someone in India or the Philippines.

Since the RP companies make money by handling questions from US customers, they are very interested in having employees that can speak US English and interact with US customers effectively. It's more than just speaking English though. I've had a lot of success with the call centers here by building and teaching a seminar that trains employees how to conduct 'small talk' with US customers and build a solid rapport in a short amount of time. This is especially useful for call centers that do telesales.

Thanks Mason-Much appreciated.

I know of 3 schools in Cebu that give a one month certification course. One is owned by the guy who runs eslcafe.com.

Dave doesn't own any TEFL course company. You are thinking about TEFL International, they are the biggest advertiser on ESLCafe. They have a course here in Cebu City run through one of their franchises. You can find their office in next to BTC.

I have very strong opinions about TEFL International and other TEFL courses. If it's not a CELTA course then it's a waste of your money. Anyways, TEFL International has quite a history of playing dirty pool and it's owner, Brucey Veldhuisen, reeks of the same smell that emanates from a used car salesman.

They're kind of pricy but if you take the course with 4 weeks of instruction and experience teaching real students(part of the curriculum), you'll get the job before someone who did a short course or got their Cert. online.

They are kind of pricey because of their marketing budget and the bounty they pay for each student recruited.

I have a friend who taught ESL teachers in many countries and she said eslcafe.com was the best resource out there. I know 2 of those schools give courses in a dozen or so countries and offer placement assistance. Some people go to the ones in Bankok because it's cheaper to stay there while attending.

There are better sites out there but when you are just getting started, eslcafe.com is a good first stop. Other sites I would recommend are:

teflwatch.com

teflschoolreviews.com

greattefljobs.com

eltworld.net

eltworld.net/forums

It may be different now but when I was in the Phils 8 months ago I was offered a job teaching ESL in Manila on my second day there just because I spoke American english, no certificate, no experience.

Big clue: In many countries of the world, you don't need a certificate or experience to get a job teaching English. All you need to be is a native English speaker. If you are with it enough, you can learn everything you need to know from books and a little practice.

If you really want a certificate, then you need to get a truly internationally recognized certificate and that means getting CELTA or Trinity Certificate.

Just go to IT park. See the tall buildings? Yeah, those.

Just go to IT park. See the tall buildings? Yeah, those.

Actually-Mason's info answered my question clearly!You look at the tall buildings for me.

Actually-Mason's info answered my question clearly!You look at the tall buildings for me.

:thats-funny:

USMC-Retired

When I first came here I thought I would want a job. So I taught English for a school in Cordova. I have a Bachelors Degree and TESL certificate. The wage was not great however better then most. I was making 7 dollars an hour and taught 30 hours a week. I hated it however the money was good. You can find jobs here you just have to be diligent. The wages are not good normally they were offering me 50 thousand pesos per month. I just did not see it worth my time. You can also apply at international schools they need teachers and depending on what your Degree is in you could get a job. I wish you the best of luck.

As for Lechon I would say No No and double No.

One last thing schools look at where your TESL TEFL certificate come from. They consider this when offering jobs so make sure you do not just go with some online certificate mill. Mine was San Diego State so I had it a lot easier. As we had to complete several hours OJT that I could add to my resume.

Edited by USMC-Retired
Just to reiterate Robert's advice, do NOT try to compete with the locals.

Although there must be exceptions, I have never met any foreigner who made a business success from supplying goods or services to the local population.

Some foreigners do run businesses, and make money, but selling to the locals is not the best way to do it.

I disagree with that slightly. Myself and my wife Maria (oh by the way we were married a couple weeks ago here. went very well) have 4 small business's all selling products to and competing with locals. We have found that locals really don't care who they buy from as long as the price is right and we have had no trouble at all with the other proprietors. In fact the sari stores near us buy rice from our sari store because we grow our own on a small rice lot and can sell it a lot cheaper than the rice stores. And i spend more time serving in the store than Maria. I will admit that most of our customers are neighbours which i am good friends with but even strangers have no problem sitting having a few Red Horses with a foreigner serving them. Of course i always join them for a glass or 3 and always give them a free bottle as my "shout". I don't know....maybe its slightly different in Cebu than than Iligan. Sometimes i felt like a caged animal in a zoo with everyone lining up to be served by a white foreigner. The novelty has worn off now but selling any kind of food to Filipinos is a good way to make a little money. Its certainly worked for us. Its turned a 6-9 month trip before heading back to work for some more cash, into an unlimited one for me.

Edited by lot & aka
I disagree with that slightly. Myself and my wife Maria (oh by the way we were married a couple weeks ago here. went very well) have 4 small business's all selling products to and competing with locals. We have found that locals really don't care who they buy from as long as the price is right and we have had no trouble at all with the other proprietors. In fact the sari stores near us buy rice from our sari store because we grow our own on a small rice lot and can sell it a lot cheaper than the rice stores. And i spend more time serving in the store than Maria. I will admit that most of our customers are neighbours which i am good friends with but even strangers have no problem sitting having a few Red Horses with a foreigner serving them. Of course i always join them for a glass or 3 and always give them a free bottle as my "shout". I don't know....maybe its slightly different in Cebu than than Iligan. Sometimes i felt like a caged animal in a zoo with everyone lining up to be served by a white foreigner. The novelty has worn off now but selling any kind of food to Filipinos is a good way to make a little money. Its certainly worked for us. Its turned a 6-9 month trip before heading back to work for some more cash, into an unlimited one for me.

Your businesses succeeding for you is a good thing and to your credit. The thing is: even in your situation, you went to the Philippines with the means to go back home and gather more capital. The fact that the businesses took off and enabled you to stay is great, but you had a backup plan.

Unless I misread, the OP is thinking of moving over with enough to last several months (less if he leaves himself enough to get back home) and hoping to find income there. That's possible (as your example shows), but I think it's unlikely. He's better either waiting until he has a bigger nest egg, an income stream that won't be damaged by moving, or a job lined up before the move (unless he's fine with the thought that his 'move' might just be a 'vacation').

Your businesses succeeding for you is a good thing and to your credit. The thing is: even in your situation, you went to the Philippines with the means to go back home and gather more capital. The fact that the businesses took off and enabled you to stay is great, but you had a backup plan.

Unless I misread, the OP is thinking of moving over with enough to last several months (less if he leaves himself enough to get back home) and hoping to find income there. That's possible (as your example shows), but I think it's unlikely. He's better either waiting until he has a bigger nest egg, an income stream that won't be damaged by moving, or a job lined up before the move (unless he's fine with the thought that his 'move' might just be a 'vacation').

Yeah i agree wholeheartedly with what you wrote. My situation and the OP's are 2 different things. Im only 40 and obviously not retired yet. I came here with a lot more money with the view of marrying Maria and setting up a future here before both of us heading back to Oz for a couple more years work together then coming back permanently.

I was replying more to the guys saying its not a good idea to have a business that deals in selling something to locals etc. It can be done quite easily and successfully. Maybe not in all cases but the money i brought here ran out months ago and we have been living off the proceeds since then. It hasn't been easy but we've managaed. I just don't want to leave this place just yet

smokey

well maybe competing with the locals so far has been a good for you but in the last few months there has been a war between leachon dealers who have shops close to each other with a few dead people to show the results and these are all locals ... Today someone walked into a store and blasted the owner .. Nothing is stolen maybe the store was to successful... my wife told me a story of a relative in Mindanao who has a government job.in COA .. a local Muslim came in and said can you give me a job i want to work for the government .. Her relative said i am sorry we have no vacant... Then the Muslim said ok so if one of the people working was to get dead then will there be a vacant for me...