going to cebu living on the edge

seattle2cebu

seattle2cebu

Im going to cebu in late april or may.. I will have around 4000 dollars if im lucky.. I should be getting another

3000 in june.

Ive done the research on rent and basic living expenses.

I remember when I was there I bought a cooked whole pig.. lechon for a picnic..

Is it possible I could cook meat there and sell it. My girlfriend doesnt speak much english and thats really

been frustrating for me. She said she would help me of course.

Im not talking about making a lot of money. Im just wanting to do something to slow down the bleeding.

I will be taking an english certification class in cebu also if I dont start it here first. ESL teaching

I dont know what my odds are on getting a job teaching english. I have a lot of call center experience as well.

Any comments on my cooking meat and meat snacks etc?? how about getting a little catering gig here and there?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• seattle2cebu

• smokey

• spooks

• Penguin

wish you good luck, but just in case have enough to buy a return ticket back home, hopefully you wont need it but just in case

You will just have to compete with the other 4000++ businesses doing the same thing around every corner. Depends on the product and your ability to market it.

Teaching jobs are available, especially in the call centers where they need trainers to hone the english skills of the Filipinos. But the pay is not going to be great. P20- 45K. The higher paying teaching jobs are in the Korean schools.

Edited by Bob Ward
World Traveller

I really want things to work out for you but the fact you have nothing set up to help with your support and your g/f has very limited English i think the return ticket is a good idea. Sorry to seem negative but i have lived in the Philippines and there are not many jobs worth talking about....

Edited by keysey
KeithAngel

Well thats about 322,000 piso you dont say if your G/F is working but if you have as you say done the research ,barring unforseen disasters, enough to live for more than a year here if you are carefull.

Its more than 3 times a Filipina English teachers salary in the private sector here, my advice would be get a cheap place 3-6 thousand a month and once you have orientated start getting your resume into the schools and call centers here ,connect with folk here on the forum and in the wider ex-pat scene.

It will probably depend on your drive plus things like your G/Fs expectations plus your own needs to have western type products etc and your willingness to for example ride the jeepnees rather than cabs

My personal reckoning is that if I wanted to ,knowing what I do now 5 months down the line I could live here for about 20,000 a month after getting set up

6000.......rent

2000......power

1300......internet

10,000+...food and transport

If you can find a job teaching English as Bob says your salary should exceed this and the bleeding will stop plus ,in at least the more reputable schools you will get basic health cover

Good Luck

smokey
You will just have to compete with the other 4000++ businesses doing the same thing around every corner. Depends on the product and your ability to market it.

Teaching jobs are available, especially in the call centers where they need trainers to hone the english skills of the Filipinos. But the pay is not going to be great. P20- 45K. The higher paying teaching jobs are in the Korean schools.

Oh the old Korean English school... two closed down already and they expect more... as Koreans leave due to the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ problems at home... Even Baguio says the Koreans are not coming in the numbers they did in the past and the Korean airlines has stopped some flights from Korea for lack of passengers...

Apply for a call center job, that's the only one I can think off that would guarantee you immediate employment. There's a lot of call centers here looking for qualified applicants... They prioritize applicants who can speak like an American...

Then live within your means... Don't go buy whole lechon for picnic again... unless you want to feed a whole neighborhood or something... lol

btw.. I don't think having a lechon biz is quite feasible... you need to build your name for that, and that takes years... also lechon business is seasonal...

retireyoung

I heard that many of the teachers in the Korean schools had masters degrees and were locals. If they employed a foreigner they would have the additional cost of organizing a work visa. I met a Filipina who was out of work and had previously done English coaching at call centers. So I think it would be tough, not impossible though if you are persistent enough.

Filippinos are the best English speakers in Asia, so I think it is the worst place to try and find an ESL job. China, Vietnam, Indonesia would be better options. Cost of living could even be cheaper in those countries than Cebu.

You could even take your girlfriend with you if you wanted. There was a good Philippine community in China when I was there last year. Around the time of the Olympics, many of them got kicked out of the country.

You could have a bit of a holiday with your savings in the Philippines and then head over to Vietnam or China when you need some money. Xiamen for example is very close to the Philippines. I met a German guy who said Xiamen was a great place to live. He also met and married a beautiful Philippine lady there.

State Trooper

I usually live in Lapu2x but my wife (Filipina) and I decided to try teaching English in China and we are here now. I can tell you that due to visa restrictions, you cant bring a girlfriend here. She must be your legal wife as the Chinese Embassy or Consulate will check your NSO marriage certificate.

Having said that, teaching in China pays about the same as teaching in the Philippines except you will work a lot fewer hours in China and get a free furnished apartment with free electricity. My wife works about 8 hours teaching and I work around 12 hours. Together we make the equivalent of $1500 month guaranteed every month. Thats not much but when you dont have to pay rent or utilities, you can save a little.

I would be interested however in learning more about working in a call center as a trainer if anyone has any information.

Apply for a call center job, that's the only one I can think off that would guarantee you immediate employment. There's a lot of call centers here looking for qualified applicants... They prioritize applicants who can speak like an American...

Then live within your means... Don't go buy whole lechon for picnic again... unless you want to feed a whole neighborhood or something... lol

btw.. I don't think having a lechon biz is quite feasible... you need to build your name for that, and that takes years... also lechon business is seasonal...

Good advice except that lechon is seasonal. Let's see, birthdays, holidays, graduations, anniversaries, family gatherings, fiestas, company events, wakes, etc. etc... Cebu, and more expressly Talisay, is the lechon capitol of the Phils and it's enjoyed on a regular basis, both whole and by the kg.

You are WAY correct that it will take time to learn and build a reputation as there are SO may purveyors.

smokey

Getting into any business that competes against the locals is a lesson in crazy.... the only good thing is instead of having to shot you if your successful they can just get you deported...

Just to reiterate Robert's advice, do NOT try to compete with the locals.

Although there must be exceptions, I have never met any foreigner who made a business success from supplying goods or services to the local population.

Some foreigners do run businesses, and make money, but selling to the locals is not the best way to do it.

Yo, I was assuming that the GF would be the front person. LOL

Teaching abroad is a good idea, but teaching in the Philippines is a losing game. I know of several Filipinos teaching English to Koreans who have lost their jobs/had hours slashed in the last several months. I am not saying it's impossible, but you might not want it.

I applied at CPILS back in October 2007 and was actually hired, but I turned them down. I did the math. They wanted me to be at the school from 8am to 6pm and then just be paid for my teaching hours. How much per hour? 230 pesos an hour. I asked if they would hire me as part time and they said no so I told them no. It was all about the math and the lifestyle.

Why come to a tropical Island paradise to work in a job that pays peanuts and requires you to wake up at 6am and not getting home until past 7pm in the evening? I was just getting started in internet marketing so taking that job would mean that I would lose my own business so with an ok from the wife, I focused 100% of my time on internet marketing and the rest is history. It turned out to be a very good choice, both family wise and financially.

Call centers are an option. The call center that my wife works at wanted me to join them. I would need to get my permanent residence first though and the pay was not really that good (mid 20's to mid 30's), but it's a definite cut above working in a language school.