• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Penguin

• Bob Ward

• Daisy

• aka

Top Posters In This Topic

My question about passport renewal is mainly directed at Daisy and her husband as they are CDO people and we are from Iligan. As Maria and i were recently married she wants to change the name on the passport which also requires the upgrade to the MRP. After a bit of research we realise we have to go to Cebu for Maria to complete a counselling session at CFO (Commission of Filipinos Overseas) for her to receive the new passport.

Penguin has stated that travelling to Manila is not a requirement although everything i have read on the net regarding this situation says we do.

So in order to satisfy our confusion we travelled to the CDO DFA to find out what we had to do. They wouldn't even let us in the door. The guard said without the certificate from CFO he wasn't going to let us in.

So my question is....can we do everything at CDO or is a personal appearance required in Manila?? We prefer to do everything ourselves.

My wife never even bothered to change her married name in her passport. I do know that they kicked back the application of one woman who applied on the same day we did because she didn't have a CFO certificate.

My question about passport renewal is mainly directed at Daisy and her husband as they are CDO people and we are from Iligan. As Maria and i were recently married she wants to change the name on the passport which also requires the upgrade to the MRP. After a bit of research we realise we have to go to Cebu for Maria to complete a counselling session at CFO (Commission of Filipinos Overseas) for her to receive the new passport.

Penguin has stated that travelling to Manila is not a requirement although everything i have read on the net regarding this situation says we do.

So in order to satisfy our confusion we travelled to the CDO DFA to find out what we had to do. They wouldn't even let us in the door. The guard said without the certificate from CFO he wasn't going to let us in.

So my question is....can we do everything at CDO or is a personal appearance required in Manila?? We prefer to do everything ourselves.

Hi lot & aka!

Yes you can apply for the passport renewal here in CDO. However if you are married to your wife for less than 6 months and she will apply for a new passport under your name, she had to go to Cebu for the CFO certificate. Trip to Manila not required. If you not so much in a hurry about this, I would like to invite your wife to attend the meeting of Expats' Ladies Charities, inc on March 10, 2009 because we will invite personnel from DFA.

Daisy & Alan

Hi lot & aka!

Yes you can apply for the passport renewal here in CDO. However if you are married to your wife for less than 6 months and she will apply for a new passport under your name, she had to go to Cebu for the CFO certificate. Trip to Manila not required. If you not so much in a hurry about this, I would like to invite your wife to attend the meeting of Expats' Ladies Charities, inc on March 10, 2009 because we will invite personnel from DFA.

Daisy & Alan

Oops , forgot to clarify - if you wait till after you have been married 6 months to apply for passport change you are not required to go to Cebu for CFO Certificate .

Hi lot & aka!

Daisy & Alan

Thanks Daisy,

Yeah we only just got married a couple weeks ago so realise that the Cebu trip was required. We don't really want to wait for 6 months. I have been living here for 12 months now and both of us are getting excited about a trip back to my home town in Australia. Just waiting for the Marriage Cert to be authenticated by NSO so we can start the process and we really weren't keen on a trip to Manila for the passport.

Penguin, the only reason we're changing the name is because we're applying for a visa for Maria to go to Austalia on a Spouse Visa. Having my name on her passport will make things less complicated for us otherwise we probably wouldn't worry about it till her passport came up for renewal in couple years time

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks Daisy,

Yeah we only just got married a couple weeks ago so realise that the Cebu trip was required. We don't really want to wait for 6 months. I have been living here for 12 months now and both of us are getting excited about a trip back to my home town in Australia. Just waiting for the Marriage Cert to be authenticated by NSO so we can start the process and we really weren't keen on a trip to Manila for the passport.

Penguin, the only reason we're changing the name is because we're applying for a visa for Maria to go to Austalia on a Spouse Visa. Having my name on her passport will make things less complicated for us otherwise we probably wouldn't worry about it till her passport came up for renewal in couple years time

We just have our monthly meeting with the DFA Cagayan de Oro Officer-in-Charge as our guest. All Filipino spouses of foreign nationals are required for a CFO in applying for passport, fiancees are no longer ask to submit CFO.

If you happen to be in the CDO area/Misamis Oriental or nearby and applying for a passport in CDO DFA Office, Expats' spouses are given a little favor by DFA CDO Officer provided they will come and apply for themselves and explain their issues and concerns personally rather than having their husbands do it for them. Just ask directly from the guard for the Officer in Charge or the Administrative Officer. That's a done deal, courtesy of Expats' Ladies Charities, Inc. :wink:

Edited by Daisy
  • 2 months later...

I am a little confused here

My girlfriend tells me that she is unable to apply for her passport in Cebu where she is currently studying because she was born in Samar is that correct?

Why when so many people migrate for study or work in the Phils is this so?

Ricbak

Bob Ward
I am a little confused here

My girlfriend tells me that she is unable to apply for her passport in Cebu where she is currently studying because she was born in Samar is that correct?

Why when so many people migrate for study or work in the Phils is this so?

Ricbak

To my knowledge that is not the case. But if she has issues with her birth certificate or other ID to identify herself for a passport application, then it might apply. There are even services where you can apply at LBC through an online company. But you must show up in person for the thumb prints and other validations.

kar wren

....That reminds me to change my own passport status. Thanks! :P

Edited by kar wren
To my knowledge that is not the case. But if she has issues with her birth certificate or other ID to identify herself for a passport application, then it might apply. There are even services where you can apply at LBC through an online company. But you must show up in person for the thumb prints and other validations.

Actually, Bob, unfortunately it is the case. I'd suggest that if she is a student in Cebu, she take all of that proof of her student status at a Cebu university and visit with Kevin in Southwind Travel. The rules are very clear that those not born in Cebu or without proof of residing in Cebu cannot apply for a passport in Cebu.

FYI, the online services only work for Manila.

Bob Ward

And then some people said they did it in Danao and or Carcar. I'm not 100% sure.

And then some people said they did it in Danao and or Carcar. I'm not 100% sure.

My wife is a born and bred Mindanaon and went to Cebu last week to complete the guidance and counselling session at the CFO there so she can get her new passport. After completing it she thought she would go to the DFA there to put in the application for said passport. No go they told her. Its gotta be done where you're born.

My wife is a born and bred Mindanaon and went to Cebu last week to complete the guidance and counselling session at the CFO there so she can get her new passport. After completing it she thought she would go to the DFA there to put in the application for said passport. No go they told her. Its gotta be done where you're born.

Because she did not take the steps to be a resident. I am not 100 % sure but voters registration card, registration at the local municipality etc. would be the proper steps IMHO.

Because she did not take the steps to be a resident. I am not 100 % sure but voters registration card, registration at the local municipality etc. would be the proper steps IMHO.

But we don't live in Cebu. We live in Mindanao. Sorry if i didn't make that clear although i did say she was a Mindanaon and WENT to Cebu. The CFO counselling course is only offered in Cebu or Manila.

Edited by lot & aka